Dublin Winebars

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Here's a list with thoughts

1. Eno - best value (just €10 corkage from the shop) , great interior, best food, range to rival Ely... only problem is no crowd !
  2. Ely , Ely place - The best and cheapest Ely, with best bar food
  3. Ely CHQ - more modern than regular Ely, less wines and dearer...
  4. Ely Grand Canal - serves beer too... food at lunch is great !
  5. Olyesya's - a few nuggets, a bit small and food can be dear
  6. La Cave - nowhere else like it, some great bargains still in French wines
  7. French Paradox - not been there in a lonnnnnngggg time... anyone ?
  8. Port House - great food... most wines poor, but Marques de Riscal good value
  9. Fallon & Byrne - In the basement of the store Ehrrrm.... quite poor, don't understand the crowds
  10. Enoteca Delle Langhe
  11. The Ormonde: not been there... list sounds too short ?

I'm sure I've missed some... also any restaurants with good lists at good prices that allow you to just drink wine ?

cYp

Last edited:

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Twice in recent days I have had the misfortune to drink wine in The Ormonde

Pluses:
  • really lovely interior, excellent decoration
  • Some pretty ok live music

Minuses
  • Service (e.g. waitress neglected to mention on both times that less than half the list was available, failed to give us cutlery, napkins... etc, etc)
  • Food: low quality ingredients with the pre sliced cheese clearly from the night before
  • Wine: the house type wines were a good selection, the rest truly terrible. As though some half brained fool with a van had wandered over to France and filled a van based on the precept "The older is the better". Some truly shocking stuff, that was table wine at best in 1998... and no idea why it is being foisted on us now

Now admittedly it has a new manager, who was very apologetic... but letting staff run around with old winelists, that have less than half the wine available... is not on.

Yes there is some value on the winelist, but nothing really interesting. If it is wine you want: avoid at all costs until they improve

Also FYI: the winelist on the webiste, is interetsing... but actually is the second last winelist... i.e. nothing to do with the current (less than half available) one

Given that this place only opened this year, the proprietors / owner (Michael Smith) clearly are clueless.

cYp

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Enoteca Delle Langhe: still a truly great place , c 100 Italian wines, the selection by glass is so so, but go to bottles and you will be pleased. Food is very good value for the money, their green pesto being the best I've had in a long time.

The only minus is that it is a bit small / crowded - but WYSIWYG

cYp

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies