Dukes wants a second "bad bank"

Podolski1.5

I'm surprised that a thread hasn't been started on this earlier. Alan Dukes, former Fine Gael finance minister and TD and current chairman of Anglo-Irish Bank is quoted in today's Irish Times as having called for a second "bad bank" to deal with distressed loans at the banks that are not moving into NAMA.

Dukes suggests second 'bad bank' - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 28, 2010

Mr. Dukes seems more perturbed with the state of "distressed" loans than the hundreds of thousands of distressed citizens in this country and has on numerous occasions called for a wider range of cuts in public services, the immediate introduction of water charges and cuts in social expenditure.

Incidentally did we ever find out if Dukes gave up his Dáil and ministerial pensions? He was quite adamant that he would not give these up despite a lot of pressure at the time.

Green eyed monster

I'm surprised that a thread hasn't been started on this earlier. Alan Dukes, former Fine Gael finance minister and TD and current chairman of Anglo-Irish Bank is quoted in today's Irish Times as having called for a second "bad bank" to deal with distressed loans at the banks that are not moving into NAMA.

Dukes suggests second 'bad bank' - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 28, 2010

Mr. Dukes seems more perturbed with the state of "distressed" loans than the hundreds of thousands of distressed citizens in this country and has on numerous occasions called for a wider range of cuts in public services, the immediate introduction of water charges and cuts in social expenditure.

Incidentally did we ever find out if Dukes gave up his Dáil and ministerial pensions? He was quite adamant that he would not give these up despite a lot of pressure at the time.
This is one of the worst aspects of when you fail to adequately deal with a major case of fraud and corruption, you send out a message that the actions can be repeated without consequence. Because of how we have bent over for the banksters and bondsters this idea of 'too big to fail' has not been discredited, nor has the idea that any well connected company can in theory have the state cover it's debts.

It's no wonder he wants a second bad bank when the first one met with so little protest, nor do we mind (apparently) that all our useless politicians are on near-millionaire salaries and pensions.

Cassandra Syndrome

Alan Dukes in

NAMA 2: Collaterialised Debt Obliviation

This time its personal.....

wombat

Interesting that when Richard Bruton suggested splitting AIB & BoI into good & bad banks two years ago, Dukes was wheeled out to ridicule the idea as too complex, NAMA would solve the problems. Shortly after, he was persuaded to do his patriotic duty and protect the people's interest by becoming chairman of Anglo. Aren't we lucky to have such wise and patriotic people to protect us.

dpbdpb

Why should he give up his dail and ministerial pensions? he should take a pay cut on these (along with all current TDs, Pensioners, public servants etc) but i dont see why he should have to give them up in total.

Miserable eFFer

They are turning us into the financial cesspool of Europe. The media report EUR15bn in cuts and taxes in the forthcoming budget while the Government pile on another €8,000,000,000 of fresh debt on our shoulders overnight! What will not be mentioned is that the ECB took their pound of flesh to finance the bond repurchase, that this does in fact go onto the national debt and is likely to stay there and that some bondholders, who should have taken a huge hit, got paid in full.

dent

Why should he give up his dail and ministerial pensions? he should take a pay cut on these (along with all current TDs, Pensioners, public servants etc) but i dont see why he should have to give them up in total.
Well I suppose he has just turned 65. I have a major problem with others getting money from the state before turning 65 (and they are not incapacitated). That is the scandal.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies