• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dun Laoighre Festival of World Cultures faces the chop

tiny tim

wombat

Here is an opportunity for all who want the Festival to raise funds and organise it themselves.

former wesleyan

A pity. I was at it this year and the food was great. Not so sure about the Peruvian nose flute stuff, but I noticed Eamonn Gilmore and missus wandering around looking like normal people.... no sign of FF and their mercs and security goons.

niropiro

Here is an opportunity for all who want the Festival to raise funds and organise it themselves.
If you want a festival of world cultures what you do is buy some brylcreem, a funky shirt and head out in Dublin to meet all the hot Latvian, Czech, Polish, Chinese, Indian, Brazilian, French, German, Spanish and American women who are out on any given weekend.

Odyessus

The Festival in 2010 made losses of €400k MORE than DLRC had budgeted for. Hence Kingstown is not likely to be hosting a festival in 2011 until what they regard as a more sustainable, meaning a presumably smaller version, can be put in place. I am sure that the money saved will come in handy with their budgeting.

Festival of World Cultures suspended over funding issues · TheJournal.ie

DÚN LAOGHAIRE’S popular Festival of World Cultures may have been held for the last time....

It's being cancelled because it's losing €400,000 per year, so who exactly is it popular with? Probably the well paid quangocrats who organise it. :rolleyes:

Fides

I went to this a couple of times, it's rubbish.
Wasn't for me but it attracted a lot of people into Dun Laoghaire. Anyone with a bit of a business brain could probably work out how to run it and break even.

wombat

Wasn't for me but it attracted a lot of people into Dun Laoghaire. Anyone with a bit of a business brain could probably work out how to run it and break even.
I suspect its not as big a money spinner as the crowds indicate, not my scene but if people want it, let them organise it - the Fleadh Ceoil started small.

TradCat

Anyone with a bit of a business brain could probably work out how to run it and break even.
That would take time apparently

County manager Owen Keegan, in a letter to councillors, wrote that “developing a model for a sustainable festival, based on sound legal and economically efficient processes will take considerable time.”
You'd need to set up a festival committee, a working group, a steering committee, a diversity advisory group etc. who would all hire consultants. Soon enough not having the festival would cost as much as having it.

Of course our sympathy is extended to whoever got fired for losing the 400K. What? Nobody? That's a relief!

Odyessus

You'd need to set up a festival committee, a working group, a steering committee, a diversity advisory group etc. who would all hire consultants. Soon enough not having the festival would cost as much as having it.

Many a true word is spoken in jest. :D

gijoe

It's being cancelled because it's losing €400,000 per year, so who exactly is it popular with? Probably the well paid quangocrats who organise it. :rolleyes:
Slight correction - it is not being cancelled because it lost €400k in 2010, it is being cancelled because it lost €400k MORE than they budgeted for. It does not mention what losses they anticipated, but overall it means it is losing well in excess of €400k. Maybe a p.ie Kingstownian might enlighten us?

Fides

Of course our sympathy is extended to whoever got fired for losing the 400K. What? Nobody? That's a relief!
Give me the figures and I'll work it out in a couple of days. I'm quite cheap!

Odyessus

Slight correction - it is not being cancelled because it lost €400k in 2010, it is being cancelled because it lost €400k MORE than they budgeted for. It does not mention what losses they anticipated, but overall it means it is losing well in excess of €400k. Maybe a p.ie Kingstownian might enlighten us?

Good point, thank you. I stand corrected.

gijoe

Going by the article it seems that there were a number of full-time employees in the Council working exclusively on this all year. The article states that they have all now left the Council's employment i.e. their contracts were not renewed. Hence we can assume that the festival is off the Council's agenda long-term.

wombat

DLRCoCo is heavily dependent on the rate income it gets from Sandyford Industrial estate, if there are closures there, it will cut revenue big time as the commercial centre of DL is a ghost town, Blackrock also feeling the pinch. My hope is that the new Library is not put back - that would be a real loss to the area.

civilserpant

its gotten worse each year, this year it was full of tat and cupcakes... the ethnic crafts were all but gone.

borntorum

I went to it once. Awful. Another nod to the PC horsesht masquerading as social integration. Thank fck for the recession if it knocks quangocratic pie in the sky muck like this on the head. Africa Day anyone??
Was your problem with it that it allowed immigrants and non-Irish nationals to celebrate their own native cultures?

I've been a few times. Always a wonderful weekend, in spite of what the usual p.ie begrudgers and whingers might say. It would be a terrible shame if it wasn't able to continue. Im not surprised that it loses significant amounts of money though, most of the events are held outdoors and are free. It must bring a huge amount of business to the town's pubs and restaurants - perhaps they might be encouraged to fill the funding gap?