Dundalk FC

SamsonS

Not a Dundalk fan, but tonights performance, on top of the draw in Holland 2 weeks ago, and putting out Bate Borisov of Champions League, they are some team.

Note, this is a club in the same competiotion as Man U and Southanpton, a comp that West Ham failed to qualify for. A club with a wage bill of probably not much more than 1m on 4 points after two games in a European group.

Full credit to them, a massive plus for Irish football.

drummed

Who? Never heard of them.

Nordie Northsider

Fair play to them. Real progress for football in Ireland and a nice boost for a town that had a hard old time in the recession.

Henry94.

It was a great result for Irish soccer tonight. Dundalk are a credit to the league. As a Cork City fan I urge them to concentrate on Europe now and keep this great run going.

PBP voter

if Michael O'Neill can take NI to the Euros Stephen Kenny should be in the running for the Irelands manger job in the future. He is doing amazing stuff.

Boy M5

It was a great result for Irish soccer tonight. Dundalk are a credit to the league. As a Cork City fan I urge them to concentrate on Europe now and keep this great run going.
:D

Round tower

Great result for the both on and off the pitch, 4 points and 2 goals. Good omen for Mayo, John Mountney who played youths soccer for Kiltimagh/Knock came on as a sub.

Therightroad

Good oul Dundalk...the Brits couldnt crack them and neither can the worst of the lot the Israelis!!
Free Palestine!!

O

Oscurito

I don't see why people are calling this a "shock".

It's been clear for a long time that Dundalk can hold their own with their peers from the smaller European leagues.

The_SR

Dundalks adventure is the culmination of a few things. UEFA have made it easier for smaller clubs, structures the FAI have implemented, stability in the domestic game and those who chipped away before. Shels, B*hs, Drogs and Derry all came close. Rovers made the group stages but got a beast of a group. Kenny has rehabilitated himself after some spectacular failures

However I don't feel Dundalk deserve it or will build on it. Rovers are opening a new full time acadamy on 2011 money. What will Dundalk do? They are already talking down infrastructure projects. I fear that there may be a profit taken or it spunked on wages.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Bray beat them a few weeks ago. This thread should be about the magnificent Wanderers

SamsonS

Dundalks adventure is the culmination of a few things. UEFA have made it easier for smaller clubs, structures the FAI have implemented, stability in the domestic game and those who chipped away before. Shels, B*hs, Drogs and Derry all came close. Rovers made the group stages but got a beast of a group. Kenny has rehabilitated himself after some spectacular failures

However I don't feel Dundalk deserve it or will build on it. Rovers are opening a new full time acadamy on 2011 money. What will Dundalk do? They are already talking down infrastructure projects. I fear that there may be a profit taken or it spunked on wages.
When Rovers qualified I don't think the money was as good. The money is very dramatic by League of Ireland standards, jumping turnover to 4-5m, compared with say 1.5m in 2015.
True, plenty of clubs were gifted chances in the past, but wage inflation totally devoured any surplus money - Derry in mid to late 80's for example, or Shels when they played Deportivo.
Not saying Dundalk will be any wiser, and the home ground is very poor, even by LOI standards, but in sheer money terms no Irish club has had this type of chance - for example, any English club looking at say Horgan, will have to pay possibly 10 times more for him now, than he would have cost in June, as Dundalk are not under pressure to sell.
All that is of course speculation for the future, just great to see one of our clubs being competitive. And as the Bray, Cork and yourself a Rovers fan would argue, sure were as good as them.........although as a Longford fan maybe I'll stay quiet...this season!

Socratus O' Pericles

Dundalk will earn 360,000 from last nights win They also got 120,000 from their draw in the first match.
Will they make good use of all their prize money 5.4 m for CL+ several more millions if the could come in a qualifying position in EL. Thy need to refurbish their ground.

D

Deleted member 48908

Will they make good use of all their prize money 5.4 m for CL+ several more millions if the could come in a qualifying position in EL. Thy need to refurbish their ground.
Could the FAI place a levy on their winnings - for the good of the league, like?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies