DUP accuses Tory negotiators of knowing nothing about NI.

Wascurito

The talks between the Conservative party and the Decomcratic Unionists seem to have hit a spot of bother. The DUPers say that the negotiations need to be given greater focus by the Tories and that things have not gone as the DUP folks would have expected.

In particular, one unnamed DUP source told David Blevins, the Ireland correspondent of Sky News that Theresa May's team didn't seem to know much about Northern Ireland....!

More here:
DUP talks not going as expected - Sky sources

LadyLou

Well! That's a surprise. Imagine.

Did anybody think that they did?

Analyzer

The DUP should count themselves lucky if the Tory MPs know nothing about NI.

The more they know, the more they will find out that is bonkers.

The obsession with symbolism, flegs, tradishunal maarching rutes, etc..

At some point the Tories might even find the class obsession in NI a bit repulsive even for Eton boys.

mr_anderson

I've been saying this for donkeys years.
Nobody in the mainland gives a flying fúck about Norn Iron.
They want rid of it.

Unionists are desperately trying to be part of a club that doesn't want them.
They're like an odd parody on Groucho Marx's famous quote.

Wascurito

Ha ha.

That is all.
I'm sure it's quite a culture shock for the DUPers. Being almost exclusively focused on the Six Counties and dealing with those for whom said Six Counties are a Huge Deal deal**, it's easy to forget that even the Conservative and (allegedly) Unionist Party is quite bewildered by the place.

**SF, UUP, SDLP, Alliance, Irish diplomats, FF, FG etc.

LDF

Theresa probably shouldn't have opened negotiations with the DUP by complimenting Tyrone's defeat of Donegal at the weekend.

GDPR

You mean the DUP are not flexible and responsive negotiators, keen to find win-win solutions?

Say it aint so ...

yosef shompeter

Someone explain to me, just who is stabbing whom in the back?
I had expected that it would be the Brits leaving us up the Swannee. It's happened so often before. 1922 treaty, Irish Famine 1845-1848, act of Union 1800, Treaty of Limerick
1694 or so...
Are the Ulster proddies actually being sacrificed on the altar of Brexit?
Stranger things have happened.
Theresa may... certainly keeps her cards close to her chest.

Watcher2

The talks between the Conservative party and the Decomcratic Unionists seem to have hit a spot of bother. The DUPers say that the negotiations need to be given greater focus by the Tories and that things have not gone as the DUP folks would have expected.

In particular, one unnamed DUP source told David Blevins, the Ireland correspondent of Sky News that Theresa May's team didn't seem to know much about Northern Ireland....!

More here:
Hahahaha, who's sorry now?

LookWhoItIs

It all kicked off when Theresa asked Arlene, now are you guys the political wing of the UVF or the UDA

hollandia

More here:

Strawberry

If I was to take a guess what the problem is I'd say money. May probably won't guarantee to replace the CAP funding for NI farmers.

hollandia

If I was to take a guess what the problem is I'd say money. May probably won't guarantee to replace the CAP funding for NI farmers.
That would be a game changer. And would also cause quite a few problems for farmers across the water if a) the nordies get a special deal, and b) they don't, and c) there's no guarantee of CAP payments beyond brexit....

Interesting

President Bartlet

DUP and talks not going well - well knock me over with a feather - the two really don't go together :lol:

Wascurito

Blevins made his allegations (about the Tories being ignorant of NI) in a report about 45 minutes ago. Apart from one tweet, I haven't been able to find anyone else repeating what he said - which is surprising.

New Threads

Most Replies