DUP : Brexit

death or glory

18 seats up for grabs in the North,
Likely that 17 will be filled by DUP or SF, who will do nothing to help prevent the damage Brexit will do.
Imagine 18 Alliance remainer seats - that could easily hold balance of power
If they get two seats, it would be all they could dream off.

raetsel

He could, but they ran him last time and he didn't win. He got closer than Gerry Kelly ever did, but there was still a decent gap. SF will throw everything they can into winning that seat, but then so will the DUP.
Kelly is a divisive figure who turned voters off with a nakedly sectarian pitch a couple of election campaigns ago. Middle class Catholics can vote for JF because he was never involved in violence.
The seat is going to return a nationalist MP in the not too distant future because demographically it is, like the rest of NI, becoming less unionist with every passing year. If it doesn't happen this election it will probably happen inside the next decade, provided that the constituency remains in existence.

death or glory

True

but would have huge potential to upset Boris's applecart if they did send 18
But not a likely prospect.
Boris is far more likely to have a huge majority.

paulp

But not a likely prospect.
Boris is far more likely to have a huge majority.
Bookies have him getting 320 seats
that leaves a small party with the opportunity to decide things
leaves us with the possibility NI could decide things - but as you say, no chance in reality

paulp

What would you like?
Not what would I like, but lets say during unification talks, it was proposed that the new United Ireland were to change it's flag and national anthem.
Would that be acceptable to everyone?

Talk Back

Not what would I like, but lets say during unification talks, it was proposed that the new United Ireland were to change it's flag and national anthem.
Would that be acceptable to everyone?
Don't see why not.

Our love and devotion should be to Ireland the country - not the people who live in it per se.

New Irish Anthem should be about the land - no need for it to be about fighting to rid ourselves of England, once we have rid ourselves of England.

The flag can revert to the gold harp on a green background - which was acceptable to all prior to partition. The harp is an old Irish emblem used by Irish people before the enemy England misappropriated it, and put it beneath the crown.

Anything else?

death or glory

Happy "Die in a ditch day", DOG! ;)
I'm still living the dream in British controlled Ulster.

As a fellow British citizen, will you still be voting SF in the upcoming British elections?

Se0samh

I'm still living the dream in British controlled Ulster.

As a fellow British citizen, will you still be voting SF in the upcoming British elections?

Border control calling The DOG...come in your time is up...present passport at the first available patrol boat...Border Patrol calling...:LOL:

AhNowStop

He could, but they ran him last time and he didn't win. He got closer than Gerry Kelly ever did, but there was still a decent gap. SF will throw everything they can into winning that seat, but then so will the DUP.
If the SDLP would step out of North Belfast he could win it for sure ... I can’t see the UUP actually following through and putting up a candidate so a free run for Finucane would leave a straight head to head with wee droopy brick Dodds...

And in Return SF should step out of south Belfast and get that Little horror pengelly out too :rolleyes:

AhNowStop

Border control calling The DOG...come in your time is up...present passport at the first available patrol boat...Border Patrol calling...:LOL:
Lol ... I guess Dopey should have been a dolphin instead of a border collie :confused:

devonish

If the SDLP would step out of North Belfast he could win it for sure ... I can’t see the UUP actually following through and putting up a candidate so a free run for Finucane would leave a straight head to head with wee droopy brick Dodds...

And in Return SF should step out of south Belfast and get that Little horror pengelly out too :rolleyes:
In 2017 the SDLP ran a low key candidate, they still got over 2,000 votes, even if all of those votes had gone to SF Dodds would still have won by a narrow margin. There is no reason to believe that if the SDLP stood aside that those who voted for them last time would vote for SF. Really to tight to call.

I expect Clare Hanna to take South Belfast whether or not SF stand aside, the SDLP lost South Belfast last time due to their candidate.

I can't see Alliance taking East Belfast, as an MEP I assume that Naomi Long won't be standing.
South Antrim will be interesting, assuming Steve Aiken stands for the UUP, present MP is a bit of a numpty, depends how the issue of the UUP standing in North Belfast (or not) plays out.
Assuming she stands, I think Sylvia Hermon should get returned with a significant shift of Alliance votes to her.
I expect the SDLP to retake Foyle, assisted by transfer of unionist votes
I wonder if SDLP has a shot at retaking South Down, Chris Hazzard has a pretty high profile but a clear message that if ever there was a need to have a rep at Westminster, it's now then they could take it.
SF to retain FST
Other constituencies are pretty clear cut.

Se0samh

In 2017 the SDLP ran a low key candidate, they still got over 2,000 votes, even if all of those votes had gone to SF Dodds would still have won by a narrow margin. There is no reason to believe that if the SDLP stood aside that those who voted for them last time would vote for SF. Really to tight to call.

I expect Clare Hanna to take South Belfast whether or not SF stand aside, the SDLP lost South Belfast last time due to their candidate.

I can't see Alliance taking East Belfast, as an MEP I assume that Naomi Long won't be standing.
South Antrim will be interesting, assuming Steve Aiken stands for the UUP, present MP is a bit of a numpty, depends how the issue of the UUP standing in North Belfast (or not) plays out.
Assuming she stands, I think Sylvia Hermon should get returned with a significant shift of Alliance votes to her.
I expect the SDLP to retake Foyle, assisted by transfer of unionist votes
I wonder if SDLP has a shot at retaking South Down, Chris Hazzard has a pretty high profile but a clear message that if ever there was a need to have a rep at Westminster, it's now then they could take it.
SF to retain FST
Other constituencies are pretty clear cut.
No fallout from Dodds being so high profile in the Brexit shambles then...

Paddyc

He's been mayor of belfast since then which helps to raise his profile. He's no longer just a 'name'.

Rocky

If people want to make the Westminister elections, a simple sectarian headcount than that's their choice, but I don't think parties should contribute and almost force people to do that. People are also well aware of who is realistically going to take a seat and do make a choice based on that.

devonish

If people want to make the Westminister elections, a simple sectarian headcount than that's their choice, but I don't think parties should contribute and almost force people to do that. People are also well aware of who is realistically going to take a seat and do make a choice based on that.
Agree

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies