DUP : Brexit

Mickeymac

No fallout from Dodds being so high profile in the Brexit shambles then...

Indeed sir, I am positive there are much more than 2000 voters who are disgusted by the positions the DUP took up in their pursuit of a hard border and their Brexit strategy (if you could call it that)

AhNowStop

In 2017 the SDLP ran a low key candidate, they still got over 2,000 votes, even if all of those votes had gone to SF Dodds would still have won by a narrow margin. There is no reason to believe that if the SDLP stood aside that those who voted for them last time would vote for SF. Really to tight to call.

I expect Clare Hanna to take South Belfast whether or not SF stand aside, the SDLP lost South Belfast last time due to their candidate.

I can't see Alliance taking East Belfast, as an MEP I assume that Naomi Long won't be standing.
South Antrim will be interesting, assuming Steve Aiken stands for the UUP, present MP is a bit of a numpty, depends how the issue of the UUP standing in North Belfast (or not) plays out.
Assuming she stands, I think Sylvia Hermon should get returned with a significant shift of Alliance votes to her.
I expect the SDLP to retake Foyle, assisted by transfer of unionist votes
I wonder if SDLP has a shot at retaking South Down, Chris Hazzard has a pretty high profile but a clear message that if ever there was a need to have a rep at Westminster, it's now then they could take it.
SF to retain FST
Other constituencies are pretty clear cut.
oh I agree North Belfast is far too close to call ...

Pretty depressing that the UUP have had to call the police in over abuse because Aitkin said he would run a candidate..... I presume that would be the DUPs loyalist bedfellows at work

On a more general note you would image this “should” be a very high turnout election

AhNowStop

If people want to make the Westminister elections, a simple sectarian headcount than that's their choice, but I don't think parties should contribute and almost force people to do that. People are also well aware of who is realistically going to take a seat and do make a choice based on that.
This is more to do with Brexit than a simple sectarian headcount ...
And historically it’s “always” unionism who have these pacts ....

I also think at this stage it’s just idiotic to split your vote every single time and let the bigots win just for some meaningless, thankless but ultimately self harming claim to have “been the bigger man”

feck it ... maybe they’ll stop “packting” when the serve is returned

cytex

Not what would I like, but lets say during unification talks, it was proposed that the new United Ireland were to change it's flag and national anthem.
Would that be acceptable to everyone?
That would have to go to a referendum as it is defined in our constitution . It is not in the gift of the government/negotiators to offer to change either of those best they can do is put it to the people. And I wouldn't fancy your chances of getting either of them changed but that will be up to the people.

Leinsterview

In 2017 the SDLP ran a low key candidate, they still got over 2,000 votes, even if all of those votes had gone to SF Dodds would still have won by a narrow margin. There is no reason to believe that if the SDLP stood aside that those who voted for them last time would vote for SF. Really to tight to call.

I expect Clare Hanna to take South Belfast whether or not SF stand aside, the SDLP lost South Belfast last time due to their candidate.

I can't see Alliance taking East Belfast, as an MEP I assume that Naomi Long won't be standing.
South Antrim will be interesting, assuming Steve Aiken stands for the UUP, present MP is a bit of a numpty, depends how the issue of the UUP standing in North Belfast (or not) plays out.
Assuming she stands, I think Sylvia Hermon should get returned with a significant shift of Alliance votes to her.
I expect the SDLP to retake Foyle, assisted by transfer of unionist votes
I wonder if SDLP has a shot at retaking South Down, Chris Hazzard has a pretty high profile but a clear message that if ever there was a need to have a rep at Westminster, it's now then they could take it.
SF to retain FST
Other constituencies are pretty clear cut.
My thoughts exactly with respect to all of the above analysis.

james toney

Just heard a DUP/UDA/UFV election broadcast....not a word about Brexit and we all know why...surely the Unionist people are not that stupid?

Talk Back

That would have to go to a referendum as it is defined in our constitution . It is not in the gift of the government/negotiators to offer to change either of those best they can do is put it to the people. And I wouldn't fancy your chances of getting either of them changed but that will be up to the people.
Don't see why not - the reality is that Unionists will not want the tricolour, even though it was created with them in mind.

Our love and devotion should be to Ireland the country - not the people who live in it per se - that will solve that problem.

New Irish Anthem should be about the land - no need for it to be about fighting to rid ourselves of England, like Amhrán na bhFiann, because with reunification we will have rid ourselves of England.

The flag can revert to the Nationalist gold harp on a green background - which was acceptable to all prior to partition. The harp is an old Irish emblem - used by Irish people before the enemy England misappropriated it, and put it beneath the crown.

This is the obvious way forward in my humble opinion.

james toney

Notably, there is no mention of the DUP's support for Brexit,it's moping about "Blood red lines" and its initial agreement with Boris Johnson to allow checks on goods moving across the Irish Sea.
Academic Jon Tonge, author of DUP: From Protest to Power, said the broadcast showed that Mrs Foster's party now regarded Brexit as "the embarrassing relative you try and keep away from family events and that no one wants to mention".
What if that drunk relative turns up with another bag of cash? Guess that's unionists shafted again...but they have already been told that.

Mickeymac

For those readers into the Brexit debate, here is a new book by Jude....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies