• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

DUP holds all the cards in Tory contest but has no idea how to play

McSlaggart

Jeremy Hunt is exactly the prime minister the DUP needs. His Brexit plan might be magical thinking, but the same has been true of all contenders for the Conservative Party leadership, of which only he and Boris Johnson remain.
The pertinent fact about Hunt is that he is a soft Brexiteer who backed the “remain” vote in the EU referendum and advocated continued single-market membership afterwards. So once in Downing Street, and faced with the reality of the UK’s constrained position, he should lean towards a close relationship with the EU. That would minimise a hard border in Ireland and a sea border between Britain and Northern Ireland — both vital to unionist concerns.

I would bet the DUP will back Boris.

rainmaker

Administrator
Jeremy Hunt is exactly the prime minister the DUP needs. His Brexit plan might be magical thinking, but the same has been true of all contenders for the Conservative Party leadership, of which only he and Boris Johnson remain.
The pertinent fact about Hunt is that he is a soft Brexiteer who backed the “remain” vote in the EU referendum and advocated continued single-market membership afterwards. So once in Downing Street, and faced with the reality of the UK’s constrained position, he should lean towards a close relationship with the EU. That would minimise a hard border in Ireland and a sea border between Britain and Northern Ireland — both vital to unionist concerns.

With all due respect to the article, I doubt the DUP have any influence at all in this election.

McSlaggart

With all due respect to the article, I doubt the DUP have any influence at all in this election.
If they came out and stated they would not work with one of the candidates it would have an impact on the outcome.

death or glory

Mcfly,
2 replies (1 your own) and you have already out passed your last started thread.
Well Done.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies