DUP urged Alliance to try to postpone snap election - Naomi Long

T

Toowoomba

Vótáil SDLP, Alliance, UUP in order of your choice.

Fuk SF/DUP, they deserve each other.

cricket

A "reliable source" tells me that DUP Spads have trouble sleeping at night, such is their worry about what an election might result in. Expects a last-minute flurry of activity before Monday's deadline.

devoutcapitalist

A "reliable source" tells me that DUP Spads have trouble sleeping at night, such is their worry about what an election might result in. Expects a last-minute flurry of activity before Monday's deadline.
if there is an election the DUP will play tribal politics and still be the largest party, the DUP and SF deserve each other along with a sizeable portion of the NI electorate by voting for incompetents.

Enigma Variations

Quite sad that cutting edge republicanism these days is hoping the UUP oust the DUP.

Beyond pathetic. Is this what the "war" was for?
I think all sensible nationalists would welcome a swing to the UUP at present. Only a clown would think that it was "sad".

hollandia

That's fairly obvious at this stage. Alex Kane has suggested that private polling did give them the answer they wanted. He's also tweeted that there is substantial embarrassment within the dup itself - one member quoted as saying "the whole thing stinks".

hollandia

if there is an election the DUP will play tribal politics and still be the largest party, the DUP and SF deserve each other along with a sizeable portion of the NI electorate by voting for incompetents.
The dup remaining the largest unionist party is in serious doubt. They have spectacularly misjudged their electorate. The best they can hope for is that disaffected dup voters stay at home, as opposed to transferring to the UUP or to the tuv.

devonish

The dup remaining the largest unionist party is in serious doubt. They have spectacularly misjudged their electorate. The best they can hope for is that disaffected dup voters stay at home, as opposed to transferring to the UUP or to the tuv.
I picked up that the reduction in the number of MLAs is expected to affect the DUP & SF disproportionately as a higher proportion of their candidates were elected in 6th place. So a relatively small shift away from the DUP could see them drop a lot of seats, still expect them to be the largest unionist party.

mac tíre

There will be an election, "last-minute flurry of activity" or not.

hollandia

I picked up that the reduction in the number of MLAs is expected to affect the DUP & SF disproportionately as a higher proportion of their candidates were elected in 6th place. So a relatively small shift away from the DUP could see them drop a lot of seats, still expect them to be the largest unionist party.
I honestly think that's in doubt, dev. This week's volte face regarding líofa and a public enquiry is testament to that. Whilst unionists may not be excercised by the cuts to irish language programmes, they are horrified by the potential loss of £500m through at best incompetence, and at worst corruption. There is disquiet in both parties, but that disquiet is more noticeable in the DUP. If the vote goes elsewhere - the more liberal to the UUP, the less liberal to the TUV, they are in big trouble. If a proportion of the vote stays at home, they may still do quite well, but still lose a few.

All we can hope for is that they lose sufficient seats such that they cannot enact a PoC on non constitutional issues, and that no single party can enact a PoC. Then we can get on with things and start bringing the north into the late 20th Century. Once we've done that, we can look at dragging it into the 21st.

devoutcapitalist

In any reasonably normal society the DUP would be electorally hammered for such incompetence but It happens to be Northern Ireland where tribal politics rules supreme, I wouldn't write off the DUP just yet.

cut the begs

In any reasonably normal society the DUP would be electorally hammered for such incompetence but It happens to be Northern Ireland where tribal politics rules supreme, I wouldn't write off the DUP just yet.
plus they have the direct rule card to play.

hollandia

I haven't written them off. I'm suggesting there is a greater possibility than other are suggesting that they will lose a lot of ground. Have you considered for example that they have only become the largest unionist party in the last ten years? There's no reason why that won't change.

devoutcapitalist

I haven't written them off. I'm suggesting there is a greater possibility than other are suggesting that they will lose a lot of ground. Have you considered for example that they have only become the largest unionist party in the last ten years? There's no reason why that won't change.
In Stormont the DUP have been the largest Unionist Party since 2003 and in Westminster since 2005. Are the UUP in any position to exploit DUP incompetence, what's Mike Nesbitt like as UUP leader, granted they'll possibly lose votes to the TUV.

cut the begs

If the Colonialists had no say in Ireland, ..........ever think of the millions of lives that could have been saved?
thats besides the point.the only way its going is direct rule for a generation at least if the votes dont fall right.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies