Duppers As Gaeilge.

hollandia

That surprises me as I always thought the RC Church would have a teaching on the age of the earth which it believes that its God created.
No. The Earth is only 6000 years old is actually a CofI invention/discovery* The quote from the catechism clearly references the Creator, but frames it with reference to Science. In other words Science is likely right, so it's more of an intelligent design type thing as far as I can see. Also pretty sure that the "Made in Six days and rested on the Seventh" thingy is viewed as allegory rather than literally.

*delete as appropriate

tokkie

That surprises me as I always thought the RC Church would have a teaching on the age of the earth which it believes that its God created.
The RC Church believes God created everything. It just doesn't impose time limits on when it was created.

CastleRay

No. The Earth is only 6000 years old is actually a CofI invention/discovery* The quote from the catechism clearly references the Creator, but frames it with reference to Science. In other words Science is likely right, so it's more of an intelligent design type thing as far as I can see. Also pretty sure that the "Made in Six days and rested on the Seventh" thingy is viewed as allegory rather than literally.

*delete as appropriate
CoI invented / discovered that earth is 6000 years old, seriously?

A divinely inspired book containing Gods teachings and instructions being an allegory and not literal does seem strange to me. Hidden secrets to be revealed? Possibly. Who wrote the Catechism being quoted?

vivabrigada

A divinely inspired book containing Gods teachings and instructions being an allegory and not literal does seem strange to me. Hidden secrets to be revealed? Possibly. Who wrote the Catechism being quoted?
Stephen King, didn't he?

hollandia

Google Bishop Ussher.

The catechism is written by committee afaik.

Mickeymac

AhNowStop

Google Bishop Ussher.

The catechism is written by committee afaik.
I'd forgotten this nutters name .. everyone should read about his "mental" beliefs and remember that about 50% of the DUP lunatics believe in what he believed in .... incredible :roll:

devonish

I'd forgotten this nutters name .. everyone should read about his "mental" beliefs and remember that about 50% of the DUP lunatics believe in what he believed in .... incredible :roll:
FFS that's from around the time that Galileo was tried for heresy in Italy for putting forward the idea that the solar system was heliocentric.

hollandia

FFS that's from around the time that Galileo was tried for heresy in Italy for putting forward the idea that the solar system was heliocentric.
Quite correct. And, tbf, pretty much all of the mainstream churches have moved on from medieval diktats, and embraced scientific discovery as evidence of the wondrous nature of Creation and the Creator. That's the difference really between literalism and faith.

AhNowStop

Exactly ... but times have changed .. well, unless you're a young earth creationist of course .. which many within the DUP are..

You're kinda bolstering my point Dev..

devonish

Exactly ... but times have changed .. well, unless you're a young earth creationist of course .. which many within the DUP are..

You're kinda bolstering my point Dev..
The point I was making is that views and opinions from 400 years ago need to take into account accepted beliefs at the time, so what seems crazy now could have been main stream then. Anyway, that's enough on religion or Ratio will get involved.

AhNowStop

The point I was making is that views and opinions from 400 years ago need to take into account accepted beliefs at the time, so what seems crazy now could have been main stream then. Anyway, that's enough on religion or Ratio will get involved.
lol .....
Re the bit in bold.... I totally agree ... Im just pointing out the lunacy of those (the world is 6000 years old) beliefs now!! ..
... beliefs that are "currently" shared by many within the DUP.. a party which "currently" holds the balance of power in the UK ....

hollandia

We really need the Russian Orthodox position on this for completeness.

Craigmore..

Am I alone in wondering if the now obsolete Orange mobile phone brand, with its pompous, anything-but-prophetic slogan, are a perfect metaphor for what is gradually happening in the north of Ireland? :)
Green vegetation. It comes on strong taking advantage of conditions and then dies off and comes back again and repeats the cycle again. There's your metaphor sectarian old cretin

vivabrigada

Green vegetation. It comes on strong taking advantage of conditions and then dies off and comes back again and repeats the cycle again. There's your metaphor sectarian old cretin
Ah, the cycle of life, a symbol of renewal.
Not something you could apply to the Orange Order.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom