• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dutch General Election 2017 - Can Geert Wilders become Prime-Minister?

Fra_south_Derry

Interesting development: Negotiations to form a coalition between the VVD, CDA, D66 and GroenLinks have just collapsed. Not much is known yet aside from the fact that they collapsed over the topic of immigration.

I wouldn't be surprised if coalition talks between VVD, CDA, D66 and CU would now begin, but that assumes that D66 didn't pull out of the negotiations while GroenLinks did. Interesting times.
Is there a deadline for a government being formed before new elections being called or can this can on as long needs be? Are D66 not very open borders and get much of their support from immigrants? If so I doubt they can form a government.

Only reason VVD did so well was because they stole much of Geert Wilders platform.

stopdoingstuff

Interesting development: Negotiations to form a coalition between the VVD, CDA, D66 and GroenLinks have just collapsed. Not much is known yet aside from the fact that they collapsed over the topic of immigration.

I wouldn't be surprised if coalition talks between VVD, CDA, D66 and CU would now begin, but that assumes that D66 didn't pull out of the negotiations while GroenLinks did. Interesting times.
I predict an undramatic outcome.

stopdoingstuff

It's the Belgians who can't seem to agree a coalition government these days.
Not a real country. More like a mass outbreak of dispair and absurdity. No wonder they are into euthanasia. Ever been to Brussels? It is nearly as nice as Birmingham.

gerhard dengler

Not a real country. More like a mass outbreak of dispair and pointless. No wonder they are into euthanasia. Ever been to Brussels? It is nearly as nice as Birmingham.
Brussels isn't the most exciting spot.

Bruges is lovely. Ghent isn't bad.
I think you're being a bit unfair to Belgium.

GDPR

Is there a deadline for a government being formed before new elections being called or can this can on as long needs be? Are D66 not very open borders and get much of their support from immigrants? If so I doubt they can form a government.

Only reason VVD did so well was because they stole much of Geert Wilders platform.
No deadline. Among D66 supporters a disproportionate amount are not immigrants, they 'suffer' from a disproportionate amount of supporters who hold a university degree (or are attending university). VVD didn't really steal Wilders' platform at all, they adopted a more populist rhetoric, but the substance remains much the same.

GDPR

It is European coalition politics as played by very undramatic and practical people. I love the Dutch.
I enjoy seeing the first reactions of the leaders of the various parties that were engaged in the negotiations. No bad feelings showing (yet). Everyone seems to be going "We all did our best, we all tried to compromise, in the end it wasn't enough. No one in particular is to blame."

stopdoingstuff

I enjoy seeing the first reactions of the leaders of the various parties that were engaged in the negotiations. No bad feelings showing (yet). Everyone seems to be going "We all did our best, we all tried to compromise, in the end it wasn't enough. No one in particular is to blame."
I suppose there is no reason for anyone to go mad. Even if they did start talking shyte about each other, they would probably have to go into government together in some form anyway. As long as Wilders is seen as the untouchable and has approximately the same level of support, they are more or less stuck with each other. The game changer would be if Wilders suddenly became acceptable as a partner but it just won't happen. The medium term is more interesting still.

Wessel

Indeed, no reason for madness. There are still sufficient options on the table, the most likely of which are a coalition with VVD, CDA, D66 and the Christian Union (CU) or the labour party (PvdA).

GDPR

Indeed, no reason for madness. There are still sufficient options on the table, the most likely of which are a coalition with VVD, CDA, D66 and the Christian Union (CU) or the labour party (PvdA).
That said, PvdA is not at all keen to go into government and I would actually be shocked if they did. Pechtold (D66) has called a coalition with CU undesirable ("onwenselijk"). No reason to worry yet, but it does show the difficulty of getting a functioning coalition.

GDPR

That said, PvdA is not at all keen to go into government and I would actually be shocked if they did. Pechtold (D66) has called a coalition with CU undesirable ("onwenselijk"). No reason to worry yet, but it does show the difficulty of getting a functioning coalition.
Coming back to this. It's now become clear that the only viable majority coalition would consist of VVD, CDA, D66 and CU. Until just now it was unclear whether this was actually even viable given D66's reticence to working with the CU, but D66's parliamentarians have agreed that they're open to trying. In all likelihood negotiations between the various parties will start soon. Much will hinge on moral and ethical questions. D66, for example, want to see pass legislation regarding "completed life" (very short: elderly individuals who feel their life is complete would gain the right to have euthanasia performed on themselves at their own request) while CU is deeply opposed to such legislation. During the campaign CU's leader often referred to this as a red line for them, but crucially the CU has now opened the door by saying that it's not a red line, but that everything can be negotiated. These will undoubtedly be quite difficult negotiations.

GDPR

Conversations between D66 and CU lasted for about 3 hours before they concluded that they would not be able to work together.

Minority government or new elections seems to be where we're headed.

GDPR

Well, it's been a bumpy ride here and there, but a coalition agreement appears to have been reached by the negotiators of the VVD, CDA, D66 and CU. The factions of the parties still have to agree to it, but it isn't considered likely that anything will go wrong at this point.

Some things in the agreement have been leaked already in recent days. There's some pretty big changes coming with taxation. In general one could say there's a shift from taxing income to taxing consumption, but the whole package is supposed to lower people's tax burden (I am very happy about this). Taxes on corporations are going down too. The new government is going to introduce a constitutional amendment to allow for electing mayors (unclear whether this will be done directly or indirectly).

People here tend to be interested in migration policy, on those points the parties have agreed for the Netherlands to pursue more "refugee deals" with countries such as exist with Turkey. Government will make more facilities available for deporting asylum seekers whose asylum requests have been rejected. At the same time the number of refugees that will be invited to come to the Netherlands will increase by 50% (to a total of 750), this concerns individuals who have been in refugee camps for a longer period of time.

Amusing points are the desire to incorporate classes on the national anthem in the school curriculum and that schools will have to take pupils to the Rijksmuseum at least once during the pupils time at school.

More's been leaked, of course and all of it might turn out ever so slightly different, but all in all I like what I'm seeing quite a bit although there's always going to be room for complaint.

Edit: Just read a news article which suggests that the new government will abolish referendums. That would be very welcome news indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

bormotello