• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Dutch General Election 2017 - Can Geert Wilders become Prime-Minister?

Researchwill

This "Russia" rhetoric is eerily similar to McCarthyism.
No it is not. Most people do not hate russia, most people know that all countries do what Russia is accused of doing. The Difference is people like you dont get that by following the Russian narrative you are doing harm to the USA and Europe. Russia is a Country that wants a weak west thats fine, for Russia, but for crying out loud wake up and see you are helping them to do it.

Dame_Enda

No it is not. Most people do not hate russia, most people know that all countries do what Russia is accused of doing. The Difference is people like you dont get that by following the Russian narrative you are doing harm to the USA and Europe. Russia is a Country that wants a weak west thats fine, for Russia, but for crying out loud wake up and see you are helping them to do it.
Ireland is already weak by virtue of refusing to spend anything on defence. Our own leaders in all parties are to blame for that. I despise Putin - have done for years (see the Ukraine threads). But politics makes for strange bedfellows, and I don't really mind him supporting parties I agree with, given that SF raises millions in the US. Any Irish political party that wants to accuse Trump of colluding with a foreign power should be reminded where much of their own money comes from.

bormotello

Oops
Dutch foreign minister resigns after lying about Putin meeting - DutchNews.nl
Dutch foreign minister Halbe Zijlstra has resigned after admitting he lied about being in Russian president Vladimir’s dacha in 2006 when he worked for Shell and hearing Putin talk about his plans for a greater Russia. Zijlstra had been under fire since admitting on Monday that he lied about overhearing Putin define ‘Greater Russia’ as ‘Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and the Baltic states,’ then adding that ‘Kazakhstan was nice to have’. He had been due to debate the incident with MPs on Tuesday afternoon but resigned ahead of the scheduled debate. In a short statement, Zijlstra said the lie was ‘by far the biggest mistake I have made in my political career’. ‘The Netherlands,’ he said, ‘deserves a foreign affairs minister who is above all reproach.’

bormotello

Jack Walsh

Wilders, who was supposedly set fair to be PM or at very least be head of the largest party less than 2 years according to our far right and Russian posters, has been all but wiped out in the EU elections in the Netherlands scoring just 4% (for perspective, he was over 30% frequently in run up to 2017 GE)

I have repeatedly said far right populism peaked in 2016 across EU
The end of the Syrian war coupled with revulsion at Trump has seen their support fall away in most countries and collapse in some.

I expect them to have some better success later today in France and Italy but Northern European countries plus, Spain and Ireland seem to have had their fill of poorly disguised fascism

Dame_Enda

Wilders lost votes to a new Far Right party called Forum for Democracy.

Jack Walsh

Wilders lost votes to a new Far Right party called Forum for Democracy.
He did, but the new fascist poster boy's party (Forum for Democracy? all one can do is laugh at the neck of these party titles) performed miles below their polling expectations too, flopping at 11%

face it Dame, peak fascism has come and gone

Dame_Enda

Jack Walsh

11% is fine for a first election. Its around where the PDs were in 1987.

That's a cop out

Look back over this thread, poster after poster made the same lame excuses for Wilders 2017 late collapse in support
"Oh he has come a long way, great base of support, big gains"

Forum for Democracy had expectations of 20% and higher, they got 11%
If you were ever involved in a campaign you'd be crushed by that sort of scenario (getting barely half the vote that you expected) and yes of cousre, you would then go out publicly and declare it is a great result from a standing start.

But it isn't really a standing start, its' just swapping round the fading fascist and fascist light vote, but crucially that fascist vote is dropping like a stone from over 30% just over two years ago to now low mid teens (new party and Wilders combined)

I am happy that peak fascism scutter, especially in Western and Northern Europe is fading.
And I am exceedingly proud that it never got a toe hold in this country to even begin with.

Glenshane4

That's a cop out

Look back over this thread, poster after poster made the same lame excuses for Wilders 2017 late collapse in support
"Oh he has come a long way, great base of support, big gains"

Forum for Democracy had expectations of 20% and higher, they got 11%
If you were ever involved in a campaign you'd be crushed by that sort of scenario (getting barely half the vote that you expected) and yes of cousre, you would then go out publicly and declare it is a great result from a standing start.

But it isn't really a standing start, its' just swapping round the fading fascist and fascist light vote, but crucially that fascist vote is dropping like a stone from over 30% just over two years ago to now low mid teens (new party and Wilders combined)

I am happy that peak fascism scutter, especially in Western and Northern Europe is fading.
And I am exceedingly proud that it never got a toe hold in this country to even begin with.
Why are you so interests in the politics of another country?

owedtojoy

These are only Exit Polls, which can be subject to error, but there were some hints dropped on RTE that maybe the "populists" (for want of a better name, they are mostly fascists) will poll well Europe-wide, but maybe not as well as they were expected.

PBP voter

Breanainn

These are only Exit Polls, which can be subject to error, but there were some hints dropped on RTE that maybe the "populists" (for want of a better name, they are mostly fascists) will poll well Europe-wide, but maybe not as well as they were expected.
Indeed - appears so far that AfD, Austria's Freedom Party and the Finns Party, among others, have underperformed compared to opinion polls.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies