Dutch OK law: Everyone Is Now An Organ Donor Unless They Opt Out.

Wilkinson

The Dutch senate on Tuesday narrowly voted in favour of a new law to change the Dutch organ donation system to a ‘yes unless’ register.
The new system will apply to everyone over the age of 18 and registered as resident in the Netherlands with their local authority, including foreign nationals.

The law's drafter, Pia Dijkstra, said that under the new system — which is similar to donation laws in Belgium and Spain — every person over 18 who is not yet registered as a donor will receive a letter asking if they want to donate their organs after death.

"They will be able to reply: yes, no, my next of kin will decide or a specific person will decide," Dijkstra said in a statement.
Is this now a sign of this health policy becoming commonplace in many other countries?

Those who do not respond to the first letter, or to a second letter six weeks later, will be considered organ donors, although they can amend their status at any time.

The Dutch Kidney Foundation called the vote "a real breakthrough for patients on waiting lists," saying that research in other countries with similar systems show an increase in registrations of organ donors.

The foundation's director, Tom Oostrom, said the new law means "hundreds of patients will get back their lives and freedom."

New Dutch organ donation law will apply to everyone officially registered in NL - DutchNews.nl

https://mobile.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/02/13/world/europe/ap-eu-netherlands-organ-donation.html?referer=https://www.google.nl/

Dame_Enda

We need that here too. My late father had a kidney transplant in the early 2000s. Before he was able to find a donor he was in agonising pain and very short tempered which was stressful for the family. But even after the transplant he had to take anti rejection drugs, which made him grow warts on his hand on a ball-like wart hanging out of one of his ears, which he had to go to Dublin every so often to get removed.

I understand people don't like to imagine themselved being cut up. But when you're dead you don't need your organs any more.

Spanner Island

100% support this.

It's been this way in Spain for a while now with transplant rates up.

And if you don't want to donate... opt out. Simple.

General Urko

I'm opposed to this law, if somebody wishes to be a potential donor, 100% fair play to them, but let them state it!
I'm wondering do certain religions have a prohibition on organ extraction/donation?
Ultimately, the biggest fúcking loon, I ever met, was given a heart transplant, so up to 3 people had to die to keep that barking cúnt alive!

Sync

I think there's a lot to it in public healthcare systems. Link it to potential consumption. Something like:

"Yes in emergency situations I want to receive organs if required and am willing to provide mine if needed" {default}

"No in emergency situations I don't want to receive organs if required and am not willing to provide mine if needed"

Dame_Enda

There needs to be a ban though on profiting from the sale of organs. We don't want to encourage the despicable organ trafficking countries like China are involved in.

silverharp

seems a lazy way to do it, no negotiation, just like the tax people, raiding your bits and pieces before your blood's cold. They could incentivise it by creating differential health insurance rates or make the decision at birth basically with the proposition of opt them in on a reciprocal basis "if you're not in you cant win"

Spanner Island

I'm opposed to this law, if somebody wishes to be a potential donor, 100% fair play to them, but let them state it!
I'm wondering do certain religions have a prohibition on organ extraction/donation?
Ultimately, the biggest fúcking loon, I ever met, was given a heart transplant, so up to 3 people had to die to keep that barking cúnt alive!
Nah... if you don't wish to donate... then you can state it when you receive your letter... I would hope such letters are stamp addressed...

And what one case about some f***ing loon in your life has to do with opposing this is bizarre...

They're are f***ing loons all over the place... but there are probably infinitely more worthy recipients of organs than there are recipients who are f***ing loons.

Spanner Island

seems a lazy way to do it, no negotiation, just like the tax people, raiding your bits and pieces before your blood's cold. They could incentivise it by creating differential health insurance rates or make the decision at birth basically with the proposition of opt them in on a reciprocal basis "if you're not in you cant win"
Did you even read the OP?

Round tower

I agree with this, it will make people more aware of donating not only organs but also it might get some people to donate blood, i have given 28 blood donations and my drivers licence marked that if God forbid anything happens me thatt i wish to donate my organs

General Urko

Nah... if you don't wish to donate... then you can state it...

And what one case about some f***ing loon in your life has to do with opposing this is bizarre...

They're are f***ing loons all over the place... but there are probably infinitely more worthy recipients of organs than there are recipients who are f***ing loons.
Yeah fair enough, but it does raise a question over how recipients are selected. I mean that gobshyte was literally the biggest fúcking loon, I have ever met as an adult and the notion that up to 3 people could possibly have died (the donor, who would have died anyway, the person who couldn't get the organ, he got and the person who couldn't get on the life support machine, because he was hogging it).
An individual like that getting a valuable organ, nauseates me to the core of my being! Why should a fúckdog be prioritized over normal human beings?:mad:

Verhofstadt

Website
Hope you don't donate your eyes,or brain for that matter then.
In the same way they block (or at least used to?) people who've had anal sex from donating blood I believe any holder of a Politics.ie account should be blocked from organ donation.

Just to be safe like

Spanner Island

Yeah fair enough, but it does raise a question over how recipients are selected. I mean that gobshyte was literally the biggest fúcking loon, I have ever met as an adult and the notion that up to 3 people could possibly have died (the donor, who would have died anyway, the person who couldn't get the organ, he got and the person who couldn't get on the life support machine, because he was hogging it)
nauseates me to the core of my being! Why should a fúckdog be prioritized over normal human beings?:mad:
I don't know how eligibility works... I would imagine there's a list and whenever a suitable organ becomes available the recipient who is at the top of the list of those who are suitable gets it....

If you went down the route of trying to decide who is more worthy than who you'd really be getting into a quagmire that would probably lead to nowhere good... reduced transplants... increased legal battles etc.

There are alcoholics who get liver and kidney transplants who just keep on drinking afterwards... but you can't discriminate against them... although if they needed a second transplant due to their failure to appreciate what they got and adapt accordingly... I mightn't be as adamant that they're as deserving as everyone else second time round...

silverharp

Hope you don't donate your eyes,or brain for that matter then.
Im living to a hundred then uploading myself into the matrix. The main problem these days is the lack of suitable young people that have died in traffic accidents the correct way.

SamsonS

Yeah fair enough, but it does raise a question over how recipients are selected. I mean that gobshyte was literally the biggest fúcking loon, I have ever met as an adult and the notion that up to 3 people could possibly have died (the donor, who would have died anyway, the person who couldn't get the organ, he got and the person who couldn't get on the life support machine, because he was hogging it).
An individual like that getting a valuable organ, nauseates me to the core of my being! Why should a fúckdog be prioritized over normal human beings?:mad:
You want someone to decide who gets organs based on a personality test. ? A politician maybe - more organs for Leitrim? A judge, 3 strikes and no organ? A reality TV show perhaps?

General Urko

You want someone to decide who gets organs based on a personality test. ? A politician maybe - more organs for Leitrim? A judge, 3 strikes and no organ? A reality TV show perhaps?
Believe me said cúnt has a history of serious mental illness and and of course a serious enough criminal record!

General Urko

I don't know how eligibility works... I would imagine there's a list and whenever a suitable organ becomes available the recipient who is at the top of the list of those who are suitable gets it....

If you went down the route of trying to decide who is more worthy than who you'd really be getting into a quagmire that would probably lead to nowhere good... reduced transplants... increased legal battles etc.

There are alcoholics who get liver and kidney transplants who just keep on drinking afterwards... but you can't discriminate against them... although if they needed a second transplant due to their failure to appreciate what they got and adapt accordingly... I mightn't be as adamant that they're as deserving as everyone else second time round...
I would imagine, unofficially, the main criterion is the likelihood that the recipient given their age and fitness levels will make the doc look good by living longer or in the case of my bud, leeching longer!:mad:
Also in Ireland, class background would be of extreme importance also!:mad:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies