E-Bikes a way forward?

silverharp

a technology that tended to look ropey in the past but they seem to have come on in leaps and bounds. A perfectly good mid range model can be bought for around €1,500, you probably have to change the battery every ~3 years at about €300 a pop and electricity is about 30c a recharge. they seem to have a range now that would cover any point to point and back in a city like Dublin
A lot of people are commuting to work on bikes but I only know 1 person who has an electric one. Seems perfect for a Dublin city to Sandyford /Tallaght type commute where there is a significant incline and where a traditional bike would only be for very keen cyclists. Plus you still get exercise but you dont need to turn up for work all sweaty and needing a shower while saving a packet on buying a second car for instance

Will they become more common?

[video=youtube;J7Y_MhY_PG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Y_MhY_PG8[/video]

GDPR

One would certainly hope so, otherwise of course they'd be a complete waste of money.

Who wants to cycle backwards?

Is this a gay or a snowflake thing or who am I arguing against here?

che schifo

One would certainly hope so, otherwise of course they'd be a complete waste of money.

Who wants to cycle backwards?

Is this a gay or a snowflake thing or who am I arguing against here?
A nun on a cobbled road??

Old Mr Grouser

a technology that tended to look ropey in the past but they seem to have come on in leaps and bounds. A perfectly good mid range model can be bought for around €1,500 ...
Ultr-expensive bikes will never become popular until something is done to make bicycle theft more difficult.

Compulsory licensing would be a start.

Mad as Fish

As a cyclist and a biker I'd point out that this all sounds grand until it rains.

Mad as Fish

Ultr-expensive bikes will never become popular until something is done to make bicycle theft more difficult.

It'll never work.

silverharp

As a cyclist and a biker I'd point out that this all sounds grand until it rains.
I used to cycle a lot to work years ago but I had the DART as an alternative but it kind of depends on your tolerance I guess.

Socratus O' Pericles

Absolutely, it wouldn't last pissing time where I work. And nobody want to see you bringing your bike in to their building.

Mad as Fish

you paid the government for the pleasure of riding and having one
Assuming everyone pays and that all bikes are registered and why should it require the government's consent for us to have the pleasure of having and riding a bicycle?

Half Nelson

"E-bike!" - a Geordie steps off the footpath.

silverharp

certainly a high risk at the moment unless the company you work foe has good security. Tracker technology is becoming more popular so it would be the bite price where you pay a bit extra.

Dermot Lacey

I have been using an E Bike now since 2001. Now on my third. Brilliant way to get around not just City but on holidays.

Gin Soaked

you paid the government for the pleasure of riding and having one
VAT, of course, is totally not a thing.

And licencing would not deter theft. Cause car theft is still a thing.

Regarding elec bikes. I have one (seldom used). And you can cycle without sweat. Which is nice. Get as powerful a one as is allowed/ not noticed by the Gardai, and if you just turn the pedals gently, it pulls you along.

Stealth electric scooter without the licence / insurance...

They tend to bloody heavy though. So forget sporting aspirations and make sure the battery does not go flat. A motor hides the cheapness of the other components, but by God you will notice once you have to use your strength to power it.

Last edited:

Old Mr Grouser

A bike with a plate signifies what exactly?
It signifies that it's a particular plate with a particular registration number stamped on it frame, and that it has a particular owner.

In this part of London it's near enough impossible to own a bike to own a bike since the theft of them is so prevalent.

New Threads

Most Replies