• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

E.U. breaks from U.S. by selling refined petroleum to Iran, despite sanctions

pete2

..The European position counters U.S. legislation, passed by [U.S.] Congress in July, aimed at preventing Iran from importing refined petroleum. That legislation also penalizes companies if they sell gasoline to the Islamic Republic. In recent years the United States has increased pressure on international oil companies and refineries to cancel their contracts with Iran.

..E.U. officials said Wednesday that their measures allowed fuel sales to prevent sanctions from hurting average Iranians. Instead, new European measures are aimed at depriving Iranian leaders from oil revenue by banning investments in the development of the Iranian oil sector, as well as specialized equipment, said representatives..

There have been complaints in the European parliament over U.S. pressure on E.U. companies regarding Iran. "If Europe accepts U.S. interference through pressure on its businesses, it is giving up independence," said Marietje Schaake, an influential parliament member, representing a liberal party. "The influence of U.S. interference beyond our own sanctions harms the E.U.'s credibility as a global player," she said.
E.U. breaks from U.S. by selling refined petroleum to Iran, despite sanctions
So if I have this clear, the EU (in the name of all Europeans remember) wants to snub the state that guarantees the EU's security and pursue closer economic ties with a regime that regularly dismembers criminals, hangs gays, wants to wipe israel from the "pages of history" (or whatever), has sponsored terror attacks all across europe over the last 40 years, and which is thought to be actively pursuing a nuclear weapons programme?

Not in my name.

Al.

So if I have this clear, the EU (in the name of all Europeans remember) wants to snub the state that guarantees the EU's security and pursue closer economic ties with a regime that regularly dismembers criminals, hangs gays, wants to wipe israel from the "pages of history" (or whatever), has sponsored terror attacks all across europe over the last 40 years, and which is thought to be actively pursuing a nuclear weapons programme?

Not in my name.
Clear as crystal.

The EU is itself the concoction of radicals.

TonyBird

Oooooh matron ! :eek::eek::eek:

Everyone is so unprepared for this ! If only we had consensus and stability . Everything would be alright .

Dredger

I think on a malevolence scale of 1 to 10 Iran would be a 3, the US would be a 7 and Israel would be a 9. I am guessing that the OP would have no problem with companies selling refined petroleum to Israel even though they have sponsored more terrorism in the last 50 years than Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan put together. Btw, sanctions are a form of terrorism.

CookieMonster

Hmm... wonder what Big Petroleum company could Be Positioning itself to do the selling?

Last edited:
Well considering the abject immorality of the sanctions against Iraq - "genocide masquerading as policy" Madeleine Albright called them - I'm actually relieved the EU are doing the sensible thing.

Kevin Doyle

How exactly does the US 'guarantee' the EUs security and from whom?

The OD

Not in my name.
Well the US regularly executes people who are mentally ill, have learning difficulties, has actively used nuclear weapons against a civilian population and, oh, still sponsors terrorism across the world for about 50 years of so, is mired in institutional racism, has a massive prison population, need I go.

I'm no fan of Iran and its backward, brutal regime, but your view of the US as being the 'good guys; indicates that your a bit of fool.

If anything, the US has being been partially responsible for the rise in Islamic terrorism deliberately. Their intelligence agencies had nothing else really to be doing after the fall of the USSR so provoking the Islamic fundamentalists has worked a treat for them.

All the while its the ordinary people going work in New York, Madrid, London, Bali and around the world who pay for their sick games with the very people they helped to train.

Before you start talking out your arse, I am not anti US, I think its a fine country filled with amazing, wonderful people, many of whom I am proud to call friends and relatives, but, like Ireland, it is run by some seriously sick f*ckers who view ordinary people as assets, resources and cannon fodder. They have no more regard for American citizens than they do for Iraqi, Afghani or even British and Spanish people.

So, not in my name either, mate.

Interista

They sent that cold weather terrorism last winter ;)
Oh yeah. I hear they were also responsible for the Icelandic volcano eruption. Clever folks, them Eye-ranians.

The OD

He probably thinks Iran and AQ are buds....they're all rag heads so they must be in his opinion.
Yeah. Never mind that Iran was a major enemy of the Taliban at a time when the US was considering doing business with them.

Clanrickard

I am guessing that the OP would have no problem with companies selling refined petroleum to Israel even though they have sponsored more terrorism in the last 50 years than Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan put together. Btw, sanctions are a form of terrorism.
So far the most stupid ill informed post of the day. Not surprised though because once the thugocarcy of Iran is mentioned someone comes along post haste to mention Israel.

The OD

Oh yeah. I hear they were also responsible for the Icelandic volcano eruption. Clever folks, them Eye-ranians.

The OD

Yeah. Never mind that Iran was a major enemy of the Taliban at a time when the US was considering doing business with them.
Or that Saudi Arabia, Americas best buddy print Korans calling for the destruction of Israel by the millions.

myksav

Not in my name.
US legislation has no legal effect on the EU. The only potential effect would be "sanctions" against EU businesses. And the US is not the only market on the planet.

myksav

He probably thinks Iran and AQ are buds....they're all rag heads so they must be in his opinion.
And to think the Iranian secret police have been having a wonderful time tagging and killing AQ members they find in Iran.
Iranians, or their Gov't, don't like Wahhabists to start with, and they think of AQ as a direct threat to their rule of Iran.

Passer-by

It would help if the OP could read the Washington Post article in full:

The European Union issued regulations this week that went well beyond a U.N. Security Council resolution passed in June, outlining tough restrictions on the sale of equipment and technology to the Iranian oil and gas industry, as well as on investment in those sectors.
In other words, the EU's sanctions exceed those required by the UN Security Council resolution.

setanta

It would help if the OP could read the Washington Post article in full:

In other words, the EU's sanctions exceed those required by the UN Security Council resolution.
Haven't you heard? The p.ie europhobes rarely get past the headlines. They think reading makes you a lefty-liberal.