E Voting machines to be scrapped

Elvis Parsley

What about the poor retired Gardai that were making a packet for storing the machines, will they be compensated for the lack of future earnings?

FakeViking

Some people were looking for examples yesterday or the day before of instances where civil servants strongly advised against certain courses of action but the politicians went ahead and did them anyway. This is one.
To clarify, do you mean the purchase of the machines, or this decision to bin them?

oscartango

FV, the proposal to buy them in the first instance. The possible "teething problems" were well-known in advance.

It reminds me of the prison doors for Wheatfield which were imported and didn't fit !

Victor Meldrew

They will make a fortune if they put them out for sale. A lot of pubs will want one as a novelty.
I remember using one and feeling quite disconnected from the democratic process. give me paper and a blunt pencil any day.

Pub games cound be fun, They should stick one in each museum in the country..

constitutionus

eamon covering it now.

gormly annouced this at UCC.

Basically said they were unreliable and insecure though not laying blame at cullen.

problems with retrofitting too apparently

FakeViking

FV, the proposal to buy them in the first instance. The possible "teething problems" were well-known in advance.

It reminds me of the prison doors for Wheatfield which were imported and didn't fit !
You weren't on the Wined & Dined list that approved the purchase then! Patriots, eh?

sickpuppy

Ah i supposed the europeans will just laugh at us going back to using "ol' pencils"

Just like those Germans who ruled the use of machines as being unconstitutional.
And those Dutch who has also ditched E voting machines.

And before anyone attempted to accuse me of being a luddite i would be happy to explain to you in detail what the hell was wrong with those machines in the first place.

please do, not been smart, just cant recall the details

sickpuppy

i used em too when i was living in tallaght .

never did like em, too dodgy. or rather too tempting for dodgyness to happen and not be found out. for a country our size theres nothing wrong with the ol pencil and paper. besides it takes all the fun out of an election/referendum and christ knows we need everything we can to get people to vote period and the sheer waste in storing the fecking things.

they actually get treated better than some citizens in the state.
one good thing they did do was distribute the surplus's proportionally, I believe the current system is basically just choose a load of surplus votes " randomly"

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
_. P .., .S.
. .:............. ....
....:.................._ ....,
............ .............., .:..
....... . . _:........ :..
_...... . .<........ ....
,...... ....... ..._.
_..... ..:...) .....
:.... ..:.... .....
.... _:..... .....
...... .....U..._.
..... _:..... (
O..... ......
:... ) .......
....._ . ...E:..),
.:.... ).... . _.....
..... ,...... .:....
) ..... ...:.._ .....
....... ..:..... ...+,
. :...... )..:...,. ....
.:....... ..+......., _:...
............?. .............. .....
. .......:............,. :...
. :..............) ...
.. I. .. ,D.

goosebump

Some people were looking for examples yesterday or the day before of instances where civil servants strongly advised against certain courses of action but the politicians went ahead and did them anyway. This is one.
Actually, it was the civil servants in the department who pushed for the introduction of evoting. Cullen bought it hook, line and sinker.

cavok

Website
www.politics.ie

Last edited:

constitutionus

one good thing they did do was distribute the surplus's proportionally, I believe the current system is basically just choose a load of surplus votes " randomly"
no they specifically reprogramed them to do it randomly to stick with the system we had with the paper, basically nullyfing one of the only benefits of em.

you cant make this stuff up.

G

Gimpanzee

McGuinness is sticking the boot into Cowen on this on News at one right now. Country deserves an apology from government for the waste.

"Government is not listening to business"

"Need more efficiencies"

"We've made no progress in publc service reform"

Bad, bad idea to let this lad of the leash by Cowen!

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
_. P .., .S.
. .:............. ....
....:.................._ ....,
............ .............., .:..
....... . . _:........ :..
_...... . .<........ ....
,...... ....... ..._.
_..... ..:...) .....
:.... ..:.... .....
.... _:..... .....
...... .....U..._.
..... _:..... (
O..... ......
:... ) .......
....._ . ...E:..),
.:.... ).... . _.....
..... ,...... .:....
) ..... ...:.._ .....
....... ..:..... ...+,
. :...... )..:...,. ....
.:....... ..+......., _:...
............?. .............. .....
. .......:............,. :...
. :..............) ...
.. I. .. ,D.

jdckelly

best suggestion ever from a texter into newstalk put them in every town in Ireland as a monument to awful government. About time the things are scrapped but why a committee just toss them into a pit and fill it in

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies