E Voting machines to be scrapped

brettmirl

McGuinness was on local radio in Kilkenny earlier saying he didnt get on with his senior minister, Mary Coughlan.

Basically saying they had different visions for enterprise in the country.

cavok

Website
www.politics.ie
McGuinness was on local radio in Kilkenny earlier saying he didnt get on with his senior minister, Mary Coughlan.

His vision could not be worse than Cockups

Whats his plan?

Digout

A few weeks ago Dempsey said that these machines do work and will be implemented, Looks like the Greens may have put it up to the Fianna Failures, "bin these machines or we walk".

G

Gimpanzee

Was asked about that on RTE - was more diplomatic - he said that they had different outlooks. He took advice from David McWilliams and valued the advice from experts and business community beyond the government. And left it at that...

Couldn't have made it any clearer that she hasn't an idea in her head.

Digout

McGuinness is sticking the boot into Cowen on this on News at one right now. Country deserves an apology from government for the waste.

"Government is not listening to business"

"Need more efficiencies"

"We've made no progress in publc service reform"

Bad, bad idea to let this lad of the leash by Cowen!
Lets hope he convinces a few more of the fianna failures to cop on and stop supporting this incompetent administration.

cavok

Website
www.politics.ie
Lets hope he convinces a few more of the fianna failures to cop on and stop supporting this incompetent administration.
I KNEW IT !

The 'SOCIAL PARTNERS' told Clowen to BOOT HIM

the 'Social Partners' are in charge

there has been a coup

C

caveman

Voting machines gone, millions gone, Dempsey and Cullen still there,what a disgrace no leadership. Cowen must go now.
Can they not use some of the voting machines to pay the ex-junior minister's parachutes?

Give them EUR 53,000 worth of voting machines.

jc_ie

please do, not been smart, just cant recall the details

Someone has already posted a link to the previous report done on it so i'm not going to repeat the details in that.

From the outset the concept of how they were doing it was flawed.

The code used to program these machines was "closed source". As in no one apart from the private company which wrote it and made the machines(at a significant mark up compared to what they charged the dutch). A private company owned the code and no one had access to it without that private companys permission

Its like buying a car and having the hood sealed up. You can drive the car(Hopefully) but you cannot know how the mechanics of it worked. If anything went wrong you have to trust the car manufactor to fix it if they can.I cannot believe that anyone actually supported these e voting machines while knowing this. The very basic nature of how the democratic system worked was not going to be transparent in anyway.

The 2nd major issue was the lack of a paper back up. Knowing we were using the code which was the property of a private company and not open to public scrunitny we had to trust the results of the code without anyway to verify it.

Throw on to that that Dempsey & Cullen would not listen to any reasonable questioning of the above by people in the computer science community and called them "Luddites".
It was a recipe for disaster.

As per the commission report on the machines it also turns out that there was a whole host of security problems on top of that. The costs of these machines being much higher in Ireland then in Holland(Where the company was bases afaik), the storage costs for 25 years and contracts taken out.

There is an implemantion of e voting which i would support.
Write "open source" code so that anyone can look at it... although being honest only nerds will be able to understand it probably but the major advantage is that if there are problems then people will find them out and allows transparency.

Take a ballot paper and walk up to a machine. Input your selection on the machine and put in your ballot paper. The machine stamps your ballot paper and you look at your ballot paper and your choices on the machine and see they match. You then place your ballot paper in the old fashioned ballot box and the machine has the same record. Any issues over a close count or re count and you have the ballot box as the back up.
Yes this implementation still has paper but it only needs to be called into play if there is any doubt over the machines record keeping. Its open, clear and transparent.
(I should note i had this explained to me by a person who was pretty much at the head of the group who was aganist the e voting machines in Ireland)

wysiwyg

What about the poor retired Gardai that were making a packet for storing the machines, will they be compensated for the lack of future earnings?

Knowing this bloody Government, the machines will be tied into 20 year storage contracts, which will be paid in full, and Gormley will tell us that payments for storage will only be cut for electronic voting machines which we buy in the future...

Trust me, we've only been partially screwed on this so far

constitutionus

Gilmore laying into Dempsey & Gilmore.

Wants them both fired. Fair play
RTE actually using hard language for once too. from "waste" to "appalling waste" in less than a minute :)

in fairness its tough to defend so theyre not likely to get a kicking from gov over it.

constitutionus

Knowing this bloody Government, the machines will be tied into 20 year storage contracts, which will be paid in full, and Gormley will tell us that payments for storage will only be cut for electronic voting machines which we buy in the future...

Trust me, we've only been partially screwed on this so far

25 years according to the radio.

despite the fact the machines only have a 20yr shelf life.

says it all doesnt it.

Digout

FF have no interest in democracy, note the way they dont want the by-elections held also.

cavok

Website
www.politics.ie
FF have no interest in democracy, note the way they dont want the by-elections held also.
TAX STRIKE NOW

The citizens of both constituencies should invoke a TAX STRIKE

NO REPRESENTATION = NO TAXATION

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies