• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Éamon de Buitléar RIP

Clanrickard

One of my child hood heroes. Loved his nature programmes. On RTE described as one of the first environmentalists. A talented guy who will be missed.

Al Gebra

Sad News.

A fantastic broadcaster. One of Ireland's best.

R.I.P.

statsman

Filmmaker amon de Buitlar dies - RT Ten

(No link in the OP, tut, tut.)

A true Irish original, one of the first independent film-makers to produce programmes for RTE and let's not forget his contribution to music as a member of the original Ceoltóirí Chualann.

D

Dylan2010

given how dull 1970's RTE was there was something very exotic about the programme.

wombat

One of my child hood heroes. Loved his nature programmes. On RTE described as one of the first environmentalists. A talented guy who will be missed.
As a child living in a city, he showed us a world that was as strange as Africa, I think it had an effect.

statsman

As a child living in a city, he showed us a world that was as strange as Africa, I think it had an effect.
Much of the seashore stuff was filmed on a little patch of waste ground opposite the Tara Towers hotel, oddly enough. The country in the city.

wombat

Much of the seashore stuff was filmed on a little patch of waste ground opposite the Tara Towers hotel, oddly enough. The country in the city.
I remember my father talking about it, he passed it every day in the train, thought it was waste land and wondered why no one built a factory on it until he saw Amuigh faoin Spéir, its amazing the influence the program had on ordinary city people.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
And the way Gerrit vanGeldren sketched the waterfowl and Eamon spoke all about it made it a great kids programme. Gave me an interest in drawing if nothing else.

Kevin Doyle

This is very sad news. The man was an absolute gentleman.

RIP.

flavirostris

A national treasure, patriot and gentleman. His wildlife programmes with Van Gelderen in the '70s and 80's rank among the best produced anywhere in the world.

Clanrickard

Filmmaker amon de Buitlar dies - RT Ten

(No link in the OP, tut, tut.)

A true Irish original, one of the first independent film-makers to produce programmes for RTE and let's not forget his contribution to music as a member of the original Ceoltóirí Chualann.
As it is in all the national media I didn't see the point.

FrankSpeaks

When you consider the tiny budgets he had to work with he managed to produce some wonderful wildlife shows. He was a national treasure. RIP.

Number2

Maybe RTE will do some public service and repeat Eamon de Buitléar's films. RIP.

onlyasking

Personally, I wouldn't describe that place as a patch of waste ground. I know the surrounding areas are urban, but the mudflats, Booterstown Marsh, between the railway and the Rock Road, and the sandy beach beyon are a crucial spot for a wide range of birds - egrets, more common in Ireland now that mean temperatures are increasing, geese, oystercatchers, dunlins, breeding pairs of swans, and the magnificent herons etc. I cannot pass this stretch without a sense of wonder at the ancient cycles of migration and survival for all to see, in a capital city.

My magical minutes of contemplation when passing by, on a Dart seat chosen in advance for the best view on my journey, are quite possibly a result of the many hours of pure enjoyment that Eamon De Buitlear (and Gerret Van Geldren) brought into my family home via RTE television during the late 60s and 70s.

I recently heard a long interview with Eamon - a joy to listen to, a man of wit, grace and charm, not to mention a great store of information.

I'd like to have met the man, merely to have said a warm thank you for engendering in me, in conjunction with my late father, a passion for the transcending beauty and power of the natural world.

Truly, one of a kind.

statsman

Personally, I wouldn't describe that place as a patch of waste ground. I know the surrounding areas are urban, but the mudflats, Booterstown Marsh, between the railway and the Rock Road, and the sandy beach beyon are a crucial spot for a wide range of birds - egrets, more common in Ireland now that mean temperatures are increasing, geese, oystercatchers, dunlins, breeding pairs of swans, and the magnificent herons etc. I cannot pass this stretch without a sense of wonder at the ancient cycles of migration and survival for all to see, in a capital city.

My magical minutes of contemplation when passing by, on a Dart seat chosen in advance for the best view on my journey, are quite possibly a result of the many hours of pure enjoyment that Eamon De Buitlear (and Gerret Van Geldren) brought into my family home via RTE television during the late 60s and 70s.

I recently heard a long interview with Eamon - a joy to listen to, a man of wit, grace and charm, not to mention a great store of information.

I'd like to have met the man, merely to have said a warm thank you for engendering in me, in conjunction with my late father, a passion for the transcending beauty and power of the natural world.

Truly, one of a kind.
Fair point; my wording was shoddy.