Éamon Ó Cuív sacked from Fianna Fáil Front Bench

Gealt

It will be a Game of Laughs when Eamon O'Dev leads his grandfather's party.

yosef shompeter

The SDLP are irrelevant these days
Well the have the organization intact. If Michelle and Arlene -- two extremist parties can't manage to form a goverment....
An opposition formed out of the coalition of the two moderate parties SDLP and UUP... and maybe the Alliance party... I don't say it's great, but it might be all you've got.
Arlene and the Cash for Ash... that's a hanging issue. Does she enjoy some personality cult status up there in the wee north? Should have resigned gracefully for some up & coming Dup-ler.

Eoin Coir

I don't understand Ó Cúiv's move at all.
(Say, there is no "v" in the Gaelic alphabet. Something phoney here!)

He must have known that FF standing in Northern Ireland would take away votes from SDLP.
Unless FF & SDLP arranged to merge somehow...
And to go it alone on something like this....

Make of it what you will.
FF having adjustment pains in playing the role of second fiddle?
Is it a generational conflict of some sort?
It could be as someone suggested, Dev eile is making a bid for the leadership. Now or never.
O Cuiv's granda on his mother side Shaun O Caoimh brought in phonetic spelling in Irish, there is no V or W in Irish language

TheField

Casey will be in contact with O'Cuiv within the hour and then the fun starts....:D
I'd have thought that O'Cuiv would be more at home with the Shinners, except perhaps he's a bit old & dated. Heading for retirement with a fancy pension is probably more like it.

loner

You seem to forget the legacy of Haughey,Flynn,Burke et al

TheField

Was reading earlier that dev seriously considered rejoining the commonwealth in the early fifties.
Never heard that before, fair dues to him for daring to think beyond conventional nationalism. Just goes to show how we've regressed that anyone making that sort of suggestion these days would be slaughtered by the usual suspects.

midlander12

I'd have thought that O'Cuiv would be more at home with the Shinners, except perhaps he's a bit old & dated. Heading for retirement with a fancy pension is probably more like it.
Yes, he's obviously a pro-choice left-liberal!

He's no loss whatever happens to him. Dreary, reactionary yoke.

RelentlessApathy!

Fianna fail have a front bench? And here was me thinking it was a lumpen dolly mix of lads you'd see down a country disco who just happened to be TDs.

Marcos the black

Ha... Didn't even make the nine o'clock news headlines...
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

the secretary

midlander12

Ha... Didn't even make the nine o'clock news headlines...
Oh how the mighty have fallen.
It just did - the newsreader asked Martina Whatshername was it a surprise and she actually burst out laughing. A rare moment of wit on Pravda News.

the secretary

Great news in that it's another nail in FF's coffin...
I suspect MM was looking for a reason for some time to ditch him and that one presented itself.

Is O'Cuiv so important that this spells the end or are you just running away with yourself?

OrderoftheDragon

Does anyone seriously think ff are going anywhere under MM's leadership ???