• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Former Green Party TD Eamon Ryan has successfully beaten Kilkenny County Councillor Malcolm Noonan and party activist Phil Kearney to become the third leader of the Green Party, succeeding John Gormley.

“Today we set out on the road to recovery for the Green Party in Ireland. We need to win back the trust and support of the Irish people,” he said. “A greener future makes sense for our country, a future where we develop our resources more wisely, share our wealth more equitably and play our part in tackling the global environmental challenges we all face.”

“Our leadership election has been a positive experience. We have started to learn lessons from our mistakes and achievements in Government and understand the need to protect what we did achieve.”

“We wish the new Government well, and will be supportive in whatever way we can to get our country out of our immediate economic crisis. However, it is already clear that the new administration has little understanding of how a green approach could set us on a more sustainable path.”

“The shelving of Local Government reforms, climate legislation and the various smart economy initiatives that we had ready to go, makes it clear that the Green Party is needed more than ever.”

Eamon Ryan, newly elected leader of the Green Party​

Tomas Mor

what is he leading, must feel like AJ Smith after the iceberg !

Hewson

Poor Ryan. Newly promoted Captain of the Marie Celeste.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Congratulations to him. He has a mountain to climb. The snivelling sneering comments on this site can be wiped away with a kleenex. The real challenges lie ahead.
Not my first choice but I look forward to working with him all the same.

Astral Peaks

Certainly one of the brighter people in Irish politics.

But.......his very patronising tone and manner grates with many and his seeming refusal to admit when he is wrong or to accept criticism is very limiting in a leader.

At least that buffoon Boyle didn't go forward.

Aindriu

Congratulations to him. He has a mountain to climb. The snivelling sneering comments on this site can be wiped away with a kleenex. The real challenges lie ahead.
You need help.

Hewson

I wish him luck too. But I'm still smarting from the feeling that the Greens betrayed their own voters by propping up the most ruinous, discredited and inept administration in the State's history.

And that won't be quickly forgotten when Mr Ryan starts making promises.

Panopticon

Lesson #1 of Irish politics... the people who hate you don't get to decide whether you win elections or not.

DeputyEdo

Best of luck to him, and I might give them a vote again at some stage, but it'll take a lot of hard work to undo the damage they've done to themselves by propping up the Fianna Failures.

drummed

But.......his very patronising tone and manner grates with many and his seeming refusal to admit when he is wrong or to accept criticism is very limiting in a leader.

The fact that he could be considered one of the more intelligent people in politics says it all really. A self regarding windbag with a limited grasp on reality takes over as death cult leader. Hopefully he'll get lots of work done and decreases the vote further until it completely vanishes. Considering he was standing against Itchy and Scratchy he could hardly lose amoung the few dozen nuts who bothered voting.

FakeViking

Do you not think that his association with the last Govt will slow any recovery you might hope for? IMHO, a clean pair of hands was called for!

Munnkeyman

Last edited:
Last edited:

Not that bright then..........

I didn't vote for the green party but thought they would make
a much better impression on debate and policy making in Irish politics
and that they might rein in Fianna Fáil a bit.
Sadly for them, all I and many others can remember vividly
is Gogarty's rant.

Panopticon

So FF got kicked out of government because everyone loves them?
Nope, FF got kicked out of government because people who used to vote for them stopped.

But most of the people whining about the Greens on this thread never voted Green and never would.

Astral Peaks

Lesson #1 of Irish politics... the people who hate you don't get to decide whether you win elections or not.
If there is enough of them they just might?

drummed

So how do you explain what happened to Cowen and the lads?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom