Eamon Ryans Proposals on TV Rugby -a Vote Winner or Vote Loser?

Eamon Ryans Proposals on TV Rugby -a Vote Winner or Vote Loser?

• Vote Winner

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Vote Loser

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tenderloins1

Twitter
@electionlit
I know there is a thread on the merits of Eamon Ryans proposals regarding free to air Heineken cup games...

I'm just curious if anyone thinks it is a vote winner or vote loser?

Is it likely to be counterproductive as people opposed to the move seem more vehement as those in favour?

I don't have SKY myself, would like to see the rugby on RTE, but it wouldn't influence my vote.

Asparagus

I know there is a thread on the merits of Eamon Ryans proposals regarding free to air Heineken cup games...

Is it likely to be counterproductive as people opposed to the move seem more vehement as those in favour?

I don't have SKY myself, would like to see the rugby on RTE, but it wouldn't influence my vote.
Its a loser - rugby people are against it and other people don't care enough to let it be an issue.

Bottom line is that sky and rugby work well and have a co dependancy

tiny tim

Ryan is like something out of Yes Minister. He wasn't put in the job to court public approval but rather to do the correct thing whether popular or not. Plainly if his plan were to be adopted there would be no Heineken Cup in a few years time and rugby as a worhtwhile spectacle would disappear. He should be man enough to admit he made a silly proposal and back off.

ManfredJudge

What programmes could RTE, TG4, or TV3 cancel on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday to show the games?

onthefence

I would like to ask Eamon Ryan "When he arrives at this desk in the morning, is this the most important thing I should be doing?

locke

The proposals are fair enough in relation to the 6 nations, but if applied to Heineken Cup matches, they'd be hitting the main revenue stream for the provinces.

TBH though, and speaking as someone who played and watched rugby long before it was popular, there are many factors that would influence how I would vote and this is well down the list

ManfredJudge

Originally Posted by ManfredJudge
What programmes could RTE, TG4, or TV3 cancel on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday to show the games?
Oh I'd say there's plenty of s**t could be scrapped there.
Could be scrapped and would be deferred to another time (pre-empted I believe is the TV word) are two different things.

Last edited:

greengoose2

Silly, silly minister for nonsense. What most ardent fans who can't make it to the stadium do is watch the matches in the pub. There is a great atmosphere and it's a good second best to seeing the game live. Sitting at home watching stuff is boring.

FionnMc

So the economy is in the toilet and it looks like the country is headed for bankruptcy.
In that context deciding how one casts one's vote based on whether or not a rugby match is free-to-air seems moronic.

constitutionus

its actually quite a complex question when you think of the demographics involved.

on the surface you'd think its a no brainer of a vote winner.

everyone LOVEs free stuff.

BUT.

Despite the increase in support rugby is STILL a niche sport and most of the peoople who watch it would have sky themselves or pop down to the equivilent of kielys to watch it.

its still mainly a middleclass/ upper class sport so the cost wouldnt bother them. this demographic would actually be those living in the D4s of the country and would traditionally be more likely to vote for the greens in far greater numbers than the rest of the country so he's essentially targeting his core vote.

so i reckon itll actually HURT the greens as theyre basically pissing off their own electorate.

it'll still be quite a while before the sport gets mainstream general support nationwide so the rest of the country simply wouldnt give a toss and would not see it as something worth voting for someone for.

big own goal IMO and classically illustrates the bubble "i think this so everyone must" mentality of our reps.

Last edited:

White Horse

Provincial rugby is successful because it has sponsorphip money to pay the high wages that attracts top players.

Remove the money and the players will go elsewhere. The teams will falter and provincial rugby will decline.

Your "average gargle drinking punter" knows a lot about the economics of professional sports, much more than Mr. Ryan.

Mushroom

From the Irish Times's report of the recent IRFU AGM:-

"A figure of €300,000 was spent by the IRFU contesting the free-to-air issue television rights issue suggested by former minister for communications Eamon Ryan."

Surplus of €7.8m is a 'paper profit' - The Irish Times - Sat, Jul 21, 2012

So Ryan's ludicrous, onanistic, populist, futile intervention ended up costing Irish rugby 300K that it could ill afford.

Nice one Eamo - I'm sure that all of your rugby playing mates in the Gonzaga College PPU are very proud of you.

carruthers

From the Irish Times's report of the recent IRFU AGM:-

"A figure of €300,000 was spent by the IRFU contesting the free-to-air issue television rights issue suggested by former minister for communications Eamon Ryan."

Surplus of €7.8m is a 'paper profit' - The Irish Times - Sat, Jul 21, 2012

So Ryan's ludicrous, onanistic, populist, futile intervention ended up costing Irish rugby 300K that it could ill afford.

Nice one Eamo - I'm sure that all of your rugby playing mates in the Gonzaga College PPU are very proud of you.
300k a lot cheaper than the alternative if the spoiled child got his way. Not sure if anyone outside of his immediate family could be proud of the sanctimonious git.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies