Early Beatles vs late Beatles

PAGE61

You often see the Beatles getting divided into early and late categories with some dismissing the early albums (Please please Me,With the Beatles, hard days night, Help) as bubblegum music and others dismissing their later albums as hippy swirls of psychedelia.

The Early Beatles are far from 3 chord wonders with many "Jazz" chords included .they were a tight hit focused group who required the four of them to make it tick.

The late Beatles after pepper and the MM Tour could be more of an acquired taste with a few out there tracks such as , you know my name, the inner light, dig a pony.

opinions on a postcard to.....................

CatullusV

You often see the Beatles getting divided into early and late categories with some dismissing the early albums (Please please Me,With the Beatles, hard days night, Help) as bubblegum music and others dismissing their later albums as hippy swirls of psychedelia.

The Early Beatles are far from 3 chord wonders with many "Jazz" chords included .they were a tight hit focused group who required the four of them to make it tick.

The late Beatles after pepper and the MM Tour could be more of an acquired taste with a few out there tracks such as , you know my name, the inner light, dig a pony.

You are failing to take into account Revolver and Rubber Soul. That period was a bridging period where they were incapable of playing a bum note. Those two albums were the harbinger of the display of their true genius. Their decision to stick to the studio unleashed a phenomenal period of creativity.

Ardillaun

If only the late Beatles could have been decades later. Their break-up was understandable, perhaps unavoidable, and yet I still wish they could have continued together at a slower pace. Lennon brought out a poignant melancholy and seriousness in McCartney’s work that he was rarely able to express again. The melodies remained compulsively catchy, if rather too much on the jaunty side, but the lyrics were dire. For me, anyway.

Golden Phoenix

Much prefer early Beatles.

Can't imagine the SENSATIONAL IMPACT they caused as "Please Please Me" "She Loves You" & "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" went around the world in the early sixties. The world had never heard anything like this before....

GDPR

Early Beatles, raw energy, total self-belief, derivative (isnt everyone) but in command of the genre.

Late Beatles, some interesting songs, but basically out of their depth, copying people who did it so much better.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Got a theory that bands start to lose their original creativity when they start to write songs about being on the road, airports, travel etc.

Haven't researched it very much but notice that 'Back in the USSR' came out in August 1968.

Beachcomber

There were better bits, and worse bits, in all phases of the career of the Beatles.

Beatles For Sale wasn't very good. Neither were the early 1969 recordings that were eventually released as the Let It Be album.

Yet the albums released before and after those 2 sets of recordings were good.

Beachcomber

Got a theory that bands start to lose their original creativity when they start to write songs about being on the road, airports, travel etc.

Haven't researched it very much but notice that 'Back in the USSR' came out in August 1968.

'Back in the USSR' was recorded in August 1968.

It was released in November 1968.

It had more to do with being a mix of a Beach Boys parody plus a "hands across the water" message to people in the USSR, as opposed to being about being on the road.

Several earlier Beatles songs related to the pressures of show business - Help! for example.

Niall996

Early Beatles - So tight. So together. Energy rawness. But naff lyrics. Naff outfits. High point for me 'Help!'

Later Beatles - Inspired, genius, never surpassed. High point probably A Day in The Life but there are dozens of other potential contenders.

One thing that doesn't get enough attention is McCartney's overall musicianship. He remains one of pop/rocks most outstanding bass players of all time IMO. And far more avant grade and experimental than Lennon.

offalypat

early beatles - so tight. So together. Energy rawness. But naff lyrics. Naff outfits. High point for me 'help!'

later beatles - inspired, genius, never surpassed. High point probably a day in the life but there are dozens of other potential contenders.

One thing that doesn't get enough attention is mccartney's overall musicianship. He remains one of pop/rocks most outstanding bass players of all time imo. And far more avant grade and experimental than lennon.
paul mccartney said that the first 40 songs they recorded were influenced by buddy holly as were the early rolling stones hits after that the songs they recorded was mainly dreary shyte that you would want to be on drugs to be able to listen to it the same can be said of bob dylan.

Last edited:

Niall996

paul mccartney said that the first 40 songs they recorded were influenced by buddy holly as were the early rolling stones hits after that the songs they recorded was mainly dreary shyte that you would want to be on drugs to be able to listen to it the same can be said of bob dillon.
[video=youtube;7UjvdZm-Tu8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UjvdZm-Tu8[/video]

Niall996

yep thats the dreary shyte i was eluding to there is a lot of thruth in the don mclean song american pie.
Haha. Well that's why these debates last forever. But to me the early Beatles look like a PR man's creation, a great brand trying to get out of their managers constricted packaged formula that was based and contrived on the trends of the day, not really what they were about. The real Beatles, the creative masters, didn't really arrive until Revolver. Even though every album before that had at least one all time masterpiece classic, in some ways, Revolver was their debut album.

O'Quisling

This question reminds of a funny misunderstanding in the early days of a friendship that remains to this day.

I said to G.... M. "So, what is your favourite Beatles album?" (I was expecting Abbey Road or Rubber Soul or whatever.)
And he replied "Oh it has to be the red album. The blue album is too pop-y and old pop at that."
I was thinking to myself "what the f*#k is he talking about?" (I was unaware of the early 90s compilation album, and this fella didn't know about the string of albums the band had from 1962 to 1970).
In my head I was quickly trying to go through every album cover remembering if any of them was strikingly red or blue in colour.
I said slowly, "the red one . . . . ??"
He said, "yea. The later one. I don't like the early one"
("Early one?!?") I was dumbfounded. "What's the first song on the one you like?"
. . . . . He could see I was struggling. "On Disc 1? Aw I dunno. I can't think of it now. . . . . . You know the one I'm talking about? The photos of them with long hair, not with the moptop haircuts." . . . . .

Anyway, it went on like this for a few seconds before we figured it out.
The makings of a Two Ronnies sketch, 2 parallel conversations going on alongside one another. . . .and never the twain shall meet.

A little like some chats on here sometimes.

redhead

You are failing to take into account Revolver and Rubber Soul. That period was a bridging period where they were incapable of playing a bum note. Those two albums were the harbinger of the display of their true genius. Their decision to stick to the studio unleashed a phenomenal period of creativity.
And the wonderful Day Tripper.

Beachcomber

paul mccartney said that the first 40 songs they recorded were influenced by buddy holly as were the early rolling stones hits after that the songs they recorded was mainly dreary shyte that you would want to be on drugs to be able to listen to it the same can be said of bob dillon.

Really?

And who is "bob dillon"?

Erudite Caveman

As someone said, Day in the Life is probably their finest moment, and Abbey Road would be my favourite album, but the album that is the best representation of the Beatles is Revolver IMO. It has that tightness of the early days before blowing all precedents out the window with Tomorrow Never Knows. Awesome stuff.

Beachcomber

Haha. Well that's why these debates last forever. But to me the early Beatles look like a PR man's creation, a great brand trying to get out of their managers constricted packaged formula that was based and contrived on the trends of the day, not really what they were about. The real Beatles, the creative masters, didn't really arrive until Revolver. Even though every album before that had at least one all time masterpiece classic, in some ways, Revolver was their debut album.
Rubber Soul (and the associated tracks on a single from that time) was.

Niall996

Rubber Soul (and the associated tracks on a single from that time) was.
Oh alright.Or First Demo.

[video=youtube;x9kmeGIdEow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9kmeGIdEow[/video]

[video=youtube;ib5UzxFX8g8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib5UzxFX8g8[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies