• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Earthquake at Bushehr, Iran

Ulster-Lad

Last edited by a moderator:

Ulster-Lad

Supposedly the Nuclear facility is undamaged and No radiation was released. They said the same thing about Fukushima. I suppose we will see what the final outcome is.

Can a MOD change the spelling to Bushehr in the OP please?

Nebuchadnezzar

There has been a 6.3 magnitude earthquake at Bushear, Iran. The significance is this is where Iran has a major Nuclear facility. Hopefully the radiation is under control. Scores are dead apparently.

Scores dead in Iran quake near nuclear plant - Central & South Asia - Al Jazeera English
The nuclear plant at Bushehr sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, this article is dated May 2011 -

"The seismic danger to Iran and its implications for the reactor in Bushehr could be disastrous for Iran, similar to the disaster in Fukushima, Japan," states the report, which was commissioned shortly after the Japanese reactor was crippled by the tsunami on March 11.
Iran 'ignores' earthquake threat to nuclear plant - Telegraph

Iran should not delay making necessary improvements in nuclear safety or conflate its safety shortcomings with its refusal to cooperate with the IAEA on resolving a range of questions about its nuclear weapon-related activities. The Iranian regime has a responsibility to its citizens and neighbors to safely operate the Bushehr reactor. In the wake of the Fukushima nuclear disaster, given Iran’s history of earthquakes, its newcomer status to nuclear power, and legitimate concerns about its regulations and equipment, Iran should immediately sign and ratify the safety convention, grant independence to its regulatory authority, implement all the recommendations of the IAEA safety team, and subject its safety standards to rigorous independent peer review.
Institute for Science and International Security › ISIS Reports › Iran › Iran Signals Continued Delay in Ratifying Nuclear Safety Pact: Is the Bushehr Power Reactor Safe?

Last edited:

neiphin

i smell a dirty isreali attack here :D

gijoe

God but I hope they have a China meltdown. Take out half of Iran and Saudi Arabia with them. Never get that lucky I suppose!

neiphin

God but I hope they have a China meltdown. Take out half of Iran and Saudi Arabia with them. Never get that lucky I suppose!
did they do something to you ?

noelf

Whatever anyone's personal blend of politics, that's a remarkably callous thing to say.

Nebuchadnezzar

The Bushehr plant is a mish-mash of ageing Russian and German components - the back up cooling pumps date back to the 1970s and they failed to work in 2011. The whole iranian nuclear program has been a terrible mistake.

From the Carnegie Institute -

More ominously, Bushehr is located at the intersection of three tectonic plates.According to the Russian builder of the reactor, the model that was used as basis for the Bushehr reactor is designed to endure an earthquake of intensity 7 on MSK-64 scale when it is in operation (corresponding to 6 on the Richter scale) and an earthquake of intensity 8 on MSK-64 scale under safe shutdown (corresponding to 6.7 on the Richter scale)
Iran

eoghanacht

Cretinous remark

james5001

Classy.

james5001

firefly123

I hope you cycle to school because your mammys car won't have any petrol in it if its irradiated.

neiphin

Ribeye

Ah here,

Another quake has struck Iran this morning,

5.5 mag,

Like, honestly,