East Belfast Speaks Out and the Glencree Peace Award for Robinson and McGuinness

DerryBee

East Belfast Spoke Out « Slugger O'Toole

Did anyone attend the East Belfast Speaks Out event late last night which included First Minister Peter Robinson, Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness, Dawn Purvis, Hugo Swire and Liam Clarke on the panel chaired by the BBC’S Mark Davenport? I was unable to attend the event but fortunately Alan in Belfast has posted an incredibly detailed overview of the event including video interviews and an audio recording of the entire proceedings. I have listened to the event and I have to say that I was personally impressed by the level of cooperation and political maturity between the panellists but particularly between Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness. Both the First and Deputy First Ministers were on top form, and again – as I have a tendency to say – I was struck by the increasingly constructive working and personal relationship between our First and Deputy First Ministers, both of whom deserve great praise for their leadership in recent months, and for their steadfast determination to defy the dissidents and ensure the continuation of Stormont. As ‘Rocketeer’ says on Slugger O’Toole: “I feel very positive for the future of Northern Ireland and I believe that regardless of Jim Allister’s criticism of the peace award due to be bestowed upon both Robinson and McGuinness tonight, both men deserve enormous credit for acting so responsibly and constructively for ALL the people of Northern Ireland”.

What do you all make of the East Belfast Speaks Out event, and also the decision to bestow a peace award upon both Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness by the Glencree Peace and Reconciliation Centre in Dublin tonight?

Personally - and speaking objectively - I think that the award is a nice symbolic gesture to signify that as a society Northern Ireland is moving forward in a positive direction - just ask Potto, Hilda and Archie! :D :D

former wesleyan

There must be few brains spinning right now as they try to work in how McGuinness is a traitor and British agent to this post !!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies