East Germany state sponsored doping

gooner

I don't know if this is right section to post this but I think more will see it here than in the sports section. (Mods can feel free to move if they wish)

This is a very detailed read of the state sponsored doping that went on back in East Germany and the side effects that people are living with today.

It's a very lengthy read. There are 5 pages to it.

Performance-enhancing drugs are taken all the time in sports. Everywhere. But the degree to which they were used in East Germany, at the behest of the state, is unmatched. Often unbeknownst to them, East German athletes were frequently given anabolic steroids, sex and growth hormones and extreme doses of pain medication. For many of those affected, severe health consequences have been the result, some of which are only now making themselves felt. They include heart disease, kidney complications, skin troubles and problems with bones and sex organs. Some suffer from depression and eating disorders or are traumatized. But the issue is hardly ever spoken about: The victims are reticent and those responsible remain silent.

After extensive reporting and numerous efforts to contact victims, five people agreed to talk with ZEIT ONLINE about doping in East Germany. They include a female discus thrower who never found her way to the very top during her career and is seriously ill today; the daughter of an East German canoe racer who believes she too suffers from the performance-enhancing drugs taken by her mother; a handball player from the top East German league, who is one of the few men willing to talk about his health problems; a gymnast who was not only administered performance-enhancing drugs, but also experienced other forms of abuse; and finally, a coach who regrets what she did back then but who also sees herself as a victim. Together, their stories provide a comprehensive look at how the East German doping system worked. And what the consequences continue to be today.
Doping: Poisoned by East Germany | ZEIT ONLINE

mr_anderson

[video=youtube;hEhb8_GJ70M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEhb8_GJ70M&t=0m19s[/video]

johnnypockets

Check for the condition not the drugs. Problem solved. Vested interests don’t want this though. Too much money to be made.

gerhard dengler

I don't know if this is right section to post this but I think more will see it here than in the sports section. (Mods can feel free to move if they wish)

This is a very detailed read of the state sponsored doping that went on back in East Germany and the side effects that people are living with today.

DDR, the state itself, issued a directive for the doping programme which was passed by the East German legislature.
Sport success was deemed to reflect well on the state, in the politicians view.

Faust's Gold is an excellent read on the matter of doping and how the doping policy permeated throughout East German sport.

Has Die Zeit found out some new information.

The Field Marshal

This is what happens when the grandsons and granddaughters of Hitler obtain power.

The euro currency was fiddled to pay for East West German re-unification.

All of Europe, especially the Irish, paid the price and now Germany forges ahead in the driving seat pushing the original Nazi idea of a united Europe with Germany in complete charge.

Doping is only half the story.

NativeWildCat

All major elite athletics are on gear and have been for some time. It's cringeworthy the way the media would have you believe it's just a Soviet/Russian practise. Drug testing is just a dog and pony show to hoodwink the plebs. The reality is nobody wants to see drug free athletes. We go to the Olympics to witness supermen at the peak of their powers. You're not going to see that with some vegan jogging around a track.

Bill

saw a documentary about this years ago, they really screwed up some of the women

making waves

Didn't 6-7 of the 8 finalists in the 1988 Olympic 100m final all fail drug tests - but Ben Johnson was the only one shafted because he wasn't sponsored by a company that also sponsored the Olympics.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Didn't 6-7 of the 8 finalists in the 1988 Olympic 100m final all fail drug tests - but Ben Johnson was the only one shafted because he wasn't sponsored by a company that also sponsored the Olympics.
That something you heard in the pub after the branch meeting, or do you have a reliable source for it?

Barroso

Glad to see your on the ball.

Oh wait, the DDR disappeared close to 30 years ago.

Meantime, I wonder how Mark Spitz got all them medals. Maybe he had a pipeline to the DDR?

automaticforthepeople

I think there were only 2 legit athletes when you look back at their racing careers. The fastest clean athlete was the original 5th place contender a Brazilian, I think?

fat finger

Angela Merkel is a qualified chemist - does that mean she's got the dope on who's who in the EU?

PC Principle

That’s why females should never be given male hormones.

You can see where I’m going with this.

Erudite Caveman

FFS. Is this the sort of sh1t you trot's talk about during downtime?

ProsandCons

On name I always remember is the great Marita Koch - still holds the 400m as far as I know from the mid eighties...think she ran it in under 15 seconds !

Remove that Eurospar logo from their vests and replace it with the name of the drugs they are using and let them get on with it - I want to see stronger, faster, higher........

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies