• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Easter Island - why we cannot eat money

Spirit Of Newgrange

We came, we saw, we conquered ( our environment )
Then it was payback time. Our environment gave up its resources and then it gave up being our friend.
The rest is history, and the inhabitants of the island disappeared into mythology.

So, what lessons for all the rest of us ? Will the whole planet follow the 'Easter Island' model, or is it just a parable ?
Answers please
Easter Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

james5001

If there are any historians 200 years from now, they will look back on this period and the people within it as being totally manipulated into not saving themselves.

Spirit Of Newgrange

After cutting down all the trees, the islanders discovered that a life without trees is pretty tough. No boats, no fires, few tools, etc etc.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Best analysis I've read on Easter Island is Jared Diamond's in 'Collapse: Why societies choose to fail or succeed. The early Greenlandic account is very interesting too.

ocianain

The Portuguese discoverers of Easter Island discovered many of the original inhabitants had red hair. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

storybud1

I talked to a farmer the other day and he just cannot believe how real food is so cheap, it does not make sense to him. He expects food prices to start to rise soon as the weather is killing yields. If you have a few bob burning a hole in your pocket then buy some good land ASAP, just rent it out to a farmer and keep a few drills for your allotment.