• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Easter Rising commemorations in Northern Ireland

Drogheda445

This coming Easter will see the 97th annual Easter Rising commemorations taking place across Ireland, North and South. Undoubtedly, these events represent great controversy in Northern Ireland as they have become a symbol of militant republicanism, resented by many unionists. In a country were unity is becoming emphasised and a common identity stressed, are these celebrations an obstacle to peace and a shared future, in the same way that the Twelfth celebrations often are? I respect those who wish to celebrate these two events and why they would wish to do so, but are they compatible with what power-sharing and attempts at healing division? To my mind anything that does emphasise the divided nature of society in Northern Ireland is not favourable and puts a shared future in danger. Many will say that these celebrations aren't divisive or sectarian (which makes sense since their are no mentions of religion) but these celebrations clearly emphasise the distinction of republicanism and unionism and the division between communities, in the same way that the marching season does. So my question is are these celebrations really compatible with a Northern Ireland which is united rather than divided? Or does it not really matter and both celebrations should be respected and be allowed to go ahead?

I am not condemning the celebrations or the Easter Rising itself but from the situation which exists in Northern Ireland I can't see these celebrations as contributing significantly to peace and unity between communities.

belfast1981

I think its the same on both sides... both sides will see the other sides as contentious and trouble making celebrating terrorism, while seeing their own as alright and see those they honour as 'heroes' .

Swords Hoopster

In answer to your OP Drogs, as long as the people confine their celebrations to where they're accepted, IE, nationalist areas, then I think it should be fine. It would be a little bit rich for Mexicans like you or I to tell our compatriots in the north that they're not allowed celebrate an event whereas we are.

In the same way that Orange Marches should be confined to places where they're wanted, Republican commemorations should also.

belfast1981

Will Poppy Sunday now be ditched in a return Goodwill gesture then?:D
Given many Irish people died in both Great wars, which remembrance Sunday is meant to be about. Why would anyone want it scraped? Or were you a German supporter in the wars :p

Mickeymac

Mickeymac would appeal to folk in every corner of the occupied zone to wear their Easter Lily with pride.

Please England, leave Ireland and give Ireland back to the Irish.

Narcissist

Given many Irish people died in both Great wars, which remembrance Sunday is meant to be about
That's not what it's about though, it's to remember British soldiers who have died in conflicts around the world (including Iraq, Afghanistan and the six counties).

I understand why those who think of themselves as British want to commemorate what they class as their forces, but unionists also have to understand that nationalists will have a much dimmer view of the British military in light of their actions in the north.

Mickeymac

That's not what it's about though, it's to remember British soldiers who have died in conflicts around the world (including Iraq, Afghanistan and the six counties).

I understand why those who think of themselves as British want to commemorate what they class as their forces, but unionists also have to understand that nationalists will have a much dimmer view of the British military in light of their actions in the north.

Problem here is Narc, zilch onionists see it that way..........that is why there are few if any 'moderate' unionists.

C

Castle Ray

This coming Easter will see the 97th annual Easter Rising commemorations taking place across Ireland, North and South. Undoubtedly, these events represent great controversy in Northern Ireland as they have become a symbol of militant republicanism, resented by many unionists. In a country were unity is becoming emphasised and a common identity stressed, are these celebrations an obstacle to peace and a shared future, in the same way that the Twelfth celebrations often are? I respect those who wish to celebrate these two events and why they would wish to do so, but are they compatible with what power-sharing and attempts at healing division? To my mind anything that does emphasise the divided nature of society in Northern Ireland is not favourable and puts a shared future in danger. Many will say that these celebrations aren't divisive or sectarian (which makes sense since their are no mentions of religion) but these celebrations clearly emphasise the distinction of republicanism and unionism and the division between communities, in the same way that the marching season does. So my question is are these celebrations really compatible with a Northern Ireland which is united rather than divided? Or does it not really matter and both celebrations should be respected and be allowed to go ahead?

I am not condemning the celebrations or the Easter Rising itself but from the situation which exists in Northern Ireland I can't see these celebrations as contributing significantly to peace and unity between communities.
All peaceful demonstrations, parades, and commemorations should be rightfully facilitated in Northern Ireland. I support that right.

The republican Easter rebellion commemorations are divisive but not the end of the world in NI. Its only rally Shinner ghettos that get involved.

Looking across the border with a large degree of "seen it all before" attitude, the Eire state can do what it wants and it does so seemingly increasingly as a mainstream and core state value. That that state has an event supporting retrospective endorsement of terror which encourages terror and violence to this day, including presidential salute, speech and military display to commemorate it annually highlights the division in Ireland, builds cross-border mistrust and hate and reinforces the necessity of the border for many Irish people north of it. For many pro-Union people in NI it is a great pro-Union news item for those that pay attention.

Seen it all before. Fill your boots with it

Mickeymac

All peaceful demonstrations, parades, and commemorations should be rightfully facilitated in Northern Ireland. I support that right.

The republican Easter rebellion commemorations are divisive but not the end of the world in NI. Its only rally Shinner ghettos that get involved.

Looking across the border with a large degree of "seen it all before" attitude, the Eire state can do what it wants and it does so seemingly increasingly as a mainstream and core state value. That that state has an event supporting retrospective endorsement of terror which encourages terror and violence to this day, including presidential salute, speech and military display to commemorate it annually highlights the division in Ireland, builds cross-border mistrust and hate and reinforces the necessity of the border for many Irish people north of it. For many pro-Union people in NI it is a great pro-Union news item for those that pay attention.

Seen it all before. Fill your boots with it

Your Majesty saluted the brave men of '16 moron.

Mickeymac

On this commemoration of the Easter Rising of 1916, lets not forget the army of the 70's 80's and 90's that delivered us a joint head of the power sharing executive at Stormont.

OK, we did not get immediate unification, but, I think most sane and sensible folk realise that this objective is not too far away.

pippakin

What can't be cured must be endured. No one should ignore the centenary all nay sayers are a bit late and must grin and bear it with if not enthusiasm then good grace.

Tommythesash

It matters little what you think. The commemorations will go ahead, not just in Ireland but also in the US and the UK, because the 1916 Rising is the single most significant event in our nations history. While the text of the 1916 Proclamation did include references to peace and harmony among all our peoples it was not primarily focused on any sectarian or religious based ethos in the northeast.

Tommythesash

I think its the same on both sides... both sides will see the other sides as contentious and trouble making celebrating terrorism, while seeing their own as alright and see those they honour as 'heroes' .
Both sides in this age old conflict have been the British and the Irish, not nationalists and unionists, you moron.

longmarch

If its important to that side of the community then I have no issue with it. It was a long time ago. We should be secure in where we are now and in how things have changed for the better. Remembering events of the past shouldn't cause any conflict.

DT123

Two men and a dog type parades,will pass off with 99% of the population not passing the slightests remarks.