Eat less meat, says Mary Robinson

O

Oscurito

Woe betide anyone who proposes anything that might stop an Irish farmer from adding the half-pence to his pence!

It's well recognized that the massive amounts of meat consumed in the western world are hugely injurious to the environment. It's not just about the huge emissions of greenhouse gases by ruminants such as cows. It's also about the use of land to grow crops to feed animals for slaughter that could be used to grow food for people.

Putting it simply, this planet cannot support 7 billion people who eat as much slaughtered meat as westerners do. So Mary Robinson is perfectly correct when she asks people to cut back on meat consumption.

Cue outrage from the usual quarters such as Irish farmers and their representatives. Let no-one suggest that they might have a role to play in reducing greenhouse gases. No sirreee, not us! How very dare you?

Independent TD calls Mary Robinson's advice to stop eating meat 'bizarre and unhelpful'
'Eat less meat, or no meat at all' - Mary Robinson suggests going vegan to reduce carbon footprint - Independent.ie

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wonder did Mary insist on a vegan menu at all the state banquets she attended. Or was that somehow different.

Still. This thread has been useful. I was wondering what to have for dinner. I'll pop up the road for a bit of steak. Onion gravy, some charlotte potatoes and I may raise a glass of vino with it to campaigning ex-presidents everywhere.

The next thing is she'll be telling us to cut down on flights. Now that she is safely beyond the international social whirl that is a Presidency.

Good man yerself, Mary.

drummed

Think she's on the same coke supply as Orange Mussolini. Its powerful stuff.

I call on Mary to consume less mind altering drugs.

And also to spend less time flying around the planet first class and dining on expensive meals in the interests of protecting the environment and our sanity. Heard enough crazy from the self-absorbed vacuous windbag. She's like some feudal era monarch telling the little people how to live their lives from her massively overpaid perch.

Heading out to double the rate of artificial fertilizer on the winter wheat in protest. While its dark and raining.

O

Oscurito

I wonder did Mary insist on a vegan menu at all the state banquets she attended. Or was that somehow different.

Still. This thread has been useful. I was wondering what to have for dinner. I'll pop up the road for a bit of steak. Onion gravy, some charlotte potatoes and I may raise a glass of vino with it to campaigning ex-presidents everywhere.

The next thing is she'll be telling us to cut down on flights. Now that she is safely beyond the international social whirl that is a Presidency.

Good man yerself, Mary.
Meat on a Friday? You're goin' ta hell....

O

Oscurito

Think she's on the same coke supply as Orange Mussolini. Its powerful stuff.

I call on Mary to consume less mind altering drugs.

And also to spend less time flying around the planet first class and dining on expensive meals in the interests of protecting the environment and our sanity. Heard enough crazy for the self-absorbed vacuous windbag. She's like some feudal era monarch telling the little people how to live their lives from her massively overpaid perch.
Just because she's hypocritical doesn't mean she's wrong.

jmcc

Doesn't mean she's right either. She is just another overpaid parasite who fecked off to the UN and used the Irish presidency as a stepping stone. She didn't even have the manners to finish her term.

Sister Mercedes

The speech was in Ottawa. Mary flies all over the world to lecture us on reducing our carbon footprint.

Eire1976

Tomorrow, I'm going to be eating a Sirloin with wedges, fried onions, Mushrooms washed down with copious amounts of three pepper sauce.

Suck that Mary

Notachipanoaktree

Woe betide anyone who proposes anything that might stop an Irish farmer from adding the half-pence to his pence!

It's well recognized that the massive amounts of meat consumed in the western world are hugely injurious to the environment. It's not just about the huge emissions of greenhouse gases by ruminants such as cows. It's also about the use of land to grow crops to feed animals for slaughter that could be used to grow food for people.

Putting it simply, this planet cannot support 7 billion people who eat as much slaughtered meat as westerners do. So Mary Robinson is perfectly correct when she asks people to cut back on meat consumption.

Cue outrage from the usual quarters such as Irish farmers and their representatives. Let no-one suggest that they might have a role to play in reducing greenhouse gases. No sirreee, not us! How very dare you?

Independent TD calls Mary Robinson's advice to stop eating meat 'bizarre and unhelpful'
'Eat less meat, or no meat at all' - Mary Robinson suggests going vegan to reduce carbon footprint - Independent.ie
Mary only likes her meat on the hoof. Ask Larry!
We need cows.

Irish-Rationalist

I've had a desire to be a vegetarian for a very long time, as eating animals is unnecessary, as you can survive on a vegetarian diet. But every night at around dinner time I get this carnivorous craving for chicken or fish, and resistance has proved futile.

drummed

Well, if you quit meat you'll have to eat something and we don't have the climate or economies of scale to produce much else. Hence the new veggie diet will be imported and will have to be cheap as well to have mass appeal. Welcome Israeli spuds and Dutch cabbage.

That will all arrive by itself and wont be grown in intensive conditions on mega farms. The new diet will just cycle here. On one of those bike to work things with zero emissions.

Truth.ie

I've been eating less beef for the last few years.
Mainly for personal health reasons but also for environmental.
Eat more chicken than anything and where I live they are mainly organic and free-range.

Cow farts are a real issue and we have more cows than people in Ireland.
But I was more concerned about the destruction of forestry and tree covering to embrace grazing.
There's a reason why Ireland has less trees per km2 than Tunisia or Israel.

drummed

Doesn't mean she's right either. She is just another overpaid parasite who fecked off to the UN and used the Irish presidency as a stepping stone. She didn't even have the manners to finish her term.
Spent a while as the UN representative for tearful babbling before becoming the planets primary expert on human rights and wait for it, 'climate justice', a whole new pious racket she invented in order to keep herself relevant to tent dwellers and middle class airheads of all types.

In fairness she built a career from a short spell as the non-entity president of a minor country once the long suffering citizens became weary of her self-righteous lecturing. She's just keeping the racket going. Like the Rolling Stones, she keeps playing about 30 years after she was any use.

Truth.ie

Maybe people could actually engage with her arguments rather than launching ad hominem attacks.

Is she wrong about the effects of meat-eating on the environment? If so, how is she wrong?
She's right...but like Bono or Geldof pontificating on Brexit or immigration she does more harm than good.

Karloff

Heres to you Mrs Robinson.

I agree with her call, we are going to have to -the world cannot support 7 billion (and rising) voracious carnivores. And food regulation stinks where meat is concerned. Plus it is cruel but given the unthinking contempt of many posters here for animal rights issues i won't wait for that fact to be influential.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies