Eating the Irish Paul Krugman NY Times 26/11

Hooch

Nothing we don't aleady know, the austerity measures will damage the economy and the many are paying for the mistakes of the few.

Cael

Nothing we don't aleady know, the austerity measures will damage the economy and the many are paying for the mistakes of the few.
While the few pay nothing for their crimes - indeed, are given even more free money, billions more.

renegade

Paul Krugman yesterday on Colbert : "Ireland is America’s future if Romney becomes president"

and
“Ireland is Romney economics in practice. They’ve laid off a large fraction of their public workforce, they’ve slashed spending, they’ve had extreme austerity programs,”

Details at: Paul Krugman: Mitt Romney will make us Irish - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

Deserves its own thread but I don't have enough posts to do so; hoping it's picked up here

mr_anderson

Perhaps you are too young to remember the 80's, in which case ask your parents what damage debt does to the economy.

Last edited:

McDave

Paul Krugman yesterday on Colbert : "Ireland is America’s future if Romney becomes president"

and
“Ireland is Romney economics in practice. They’ve laid off a large fraction of their public workforce, they’ve slashed spending, they’ve had extreme austerity programs,”

Details at: Paul Krugman: Mitt Romney will make us Irish - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

Deserves its own thread but I don't have enough posts to do so; hoping it's picked up here
Krugman doesn't have a clue about Irish or European politics.

A 'large fraction'? It's a handful of percent. And, at that, a minor adjustment after years of deliberate stuffing of jobs into the public sector in the worst kind of pork-barrel politics.

The more I read of Krugman the less I respect him. We take him seriously at our peril.

stopdoingstuff

A 'large fraction'? It's a handful of percent. And, at that, a minor adjustment after years of deliberate stuffing of jobs into the public sector in the worst kind of pork-barrel politics.

The more I read of Krugman the less I respect him. We take him seriously at our peril.
Holy ************************. I agree 100%.

MacBeth

Aren't you the clown you started the "Eurozone is stablising" thread?

MacBeth

Lads dont respond to that troll.
So McDave slags off a noble prize winning economist, I point out that he has been proven to be spectacularly wrong on economic issues in the past and yet I'm the troll? Fine Gael logic at its best here. The blueshirts are in denial about what a dreadful state the Irish economy is in. You people would prefer to listen to Jim Power and bury your heads in the sand.

N

nespot.a

Yep, echo that. I don't read him anymore.

He's a bit like a religious/sports/xxxx fanatic...with a fixed idea (Keynesian or New Keynesian)and twists all data to match.
Though he can't even get that right:
"They’ve laid off a large fraction of their public workforce, they’ve slashed spending, they’ve had extreme austerity programs". None of these are true to me, in that:
- we are'nt even close to living within our means
- I'm not aware of large public layoff's though there have been some over generous retirement packages.

Most of his analysis about Ireland is plain wrong.

MacBeth

Yep, echo that. I don't read him anymore.

He's a bit like a religious/sports/xxxx fanatic...with a fixed idea (Keynesian or New Keynesian)and twists all data to match.
Though he can't even get that right:
"They’ve laid off a large fraction of their public workforce, they’ve slashed spending, they’ve had extreme austerity programs". None of these are true to me, in that:
- we are'nt even close to living within our means
- I'm not aware of large public layoff's though there have been some over generous retirement packages.

Most of his analysis about Ireland is plain wrong.
The number of public sector workers has been reduced, €6 billion was taken out of the economy in the last budget alone and there is no plans whatsoever to create jobs. What has Krugman got wrong here?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies