Ebola makes landfall in City of 1.5m people

HenryHorace

Don't see much talk about this either online or in the media but this is a very worrying situation if it get's hold and spreads. I'll admit to knowing the square root of dick about Mbandaka but i do know Kinshasa well enough and if it becomes widespread there then we are looking at a possible worldwide pandemic.

https://news.sky.com/story/very-high-ebola-risk-in-democratic-republic-of-the-congo-says-who-11377110

It's not an exaggeration to say this being widely unreported in the media who seem to think that some Royal clown getting married to a B list celeb is of of more importance than the lives of millions of dark people from Africa.

Good luck to the WHO in their attempts to get on top of this before it becomes a threat to us all.

Sync

It’s not going to affect millions or anything like it. Ebola’s a horrible, high fatality disease. But you’ve got to REALLY work hard to pick up Ebola. Comparing it to the other illnesses that affect Africa (malaria in particular) highlights where it actually sits in terms of concern.

“Threat to us all” :roll:

PAGE61

I was reading it myself just now. Quite alarming considering how quickly it can spread and how hard it is to contain.

Dame_Enda

We need to close transport links between Congo and the EU.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
Hygiene and living standards are one of the worst reasons for Ebola, however, it did reach the UK a few years back, remember that nurse in Scotland?

If it hits a City who knows how much damage it could do with global world travel.

che schifo

That is worrying, yes. But if you really want to worry about health related issues, the growing number of antibiotic resistant pathogens is your man..

Catalpast

Don't see much talk about this either online or in the media but this is a very worrying situation if it get's hold and spreads. I'll admit to knowing the square root of dick about Mbandaka but i do know Kinshasa well enough and if it becomes widespread there then we are looking at a possible worldwide pandemic.

https://news.sky.com/story/very-high-ebola-risk-in-democratic-republic-of-the-congo-says-who-11377110

It's not an exaggeration to say this being widely unreported in the media who seem to think that some Royal clown getting married to a B list celeb is of of more importance than the lives of millions of dark people from Africa.

Good luck to the WHO in their attempts to get on top of this before it becomes a threat to us all.
I was covering it here:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/foreign-affairs/196034-ebola-outbreak.html

But maybe a new thread is not a bad idea

Hopefully it can be contained before it spreads further

Catalpast

It’s not going to affect millions or anything like it. Ebola’s a horrible, high fatality disease. But you’ve got to REALLY work hard to pick up Ebola. Comparing it to the other illnesses that affect Africa (malaria in particular) highlights where it actually sits in terms of concern.

We just don't know Sync - because it has always been contained (at huge effort) up to now

Diseases can mutate and grow in strength too

- or weaken and become relatively harmless

But this one is fraught with danger and I think WHO will have make an all out effort to contain it

Sheeple_Waker

Mbandaka is a regional hub, it’s home to a naval base and border Congo-Brazzaville as well as being on one of the fluvial routes to the CAR. If an Ebola epidemic took hold there it would be absolutely catastrophic.

redhead

"The horror! The horror!" :roll:

Mick Mac

I think this is generally true. The harsg fact is that the three most affected countries had some really poorly thought out approaches to Ebola i.e. rituals with dead people, refusing to believe it existed etx etc. When the disease went to Nigeria it stopped dead. Nigeria I'd a chaotic place but it has a healthcare infrastructure even if it's beset with the usual problems.

The DRC would look at Nigeria as a Greek might look at Norway.

I don't think it'll be widespread but it could cause a lot of hassle for DRC which has poor health care. 70% of DRC people don't have access to primary health care.

Malaria is btw knocking shyte out of them as well.

Mick Mac

Mick Mac

We need to close transport links between Congo and the EU.
I remember the Nigerian lady who wrote in the guardian how doing such a thing was based on racism.

Then about a week later Nigeria closed it's border of with affected countries.

che schifo

Mbandaka is a regional hub, it’s home to a naval base and border Congo-Brazzaville as well as being on one of the fluvial routes to the CAR. If an Ebola epidemic took hold there it would be absolutely catastrophic.
Wasn't it also a song by Sinead O'Connor? :confused:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies