• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

EBS and Permanent TSB to re-enter the mortgage market - any significance?

DaveM

Two more lenders set to resume providing mortgages - National News - Independent.ie

EBS and Permanent TSB are to start offering new mortgages again from the new year.

What is the significance (if any) behind this? Is it based on a belief that the fall in the market is almost at an end or is it a case that they just need to be seen to be in the market but prospective customers will have no more success than SMEs in accessing credit?

cabledude

Why? Had they stopped lending. :)

But, seriously, was it a policy decision to stop mortgage lending? I knew of anecdotal evedince, but for them to come out and state that they are recommencing mortgage lending suggests that they had officially ceased.

Analyzer

I suppose it will be some time yet, before Permo are loaning 8 billion euro to another Irish bank, for a short term, to "mature" after four to five days ?

DaveM

Why? Had they stopped lending. :)

But, seriously, was it a policy decision to stop mortgage lending? I knew of anecdotal evedince, but for them to come out and state that they are recommencing mortgage lending suggests that they had officially ceased.
As far as I know they simly withdrew from the market while their balance sheets were being repaired. I'm just curious as to whether their return is due to an expectation of more favourable market conditions or whether as banks that have been supported by taxpayers' money they need to be seen to be offering mortgages while in reality they'll set their conditions so tight that they lend to next to nobody in the short term.

cabledude

As far as I know they simly withdrew from the market while their balance sheets were being repaired. I'm just curious as to whether their return is due to an expectation of more favourable market conditions or whether as banks that have been supported by taxpayers' money they need to be seen to be offering mortgages while in reality they'll set their conditions so tight that they lend to next to nobody in the short term.
I suppose only time will tell.......