• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

ECB lends record €442 billion to commercial banks

Ramon21

The European Central Bank said today that it lent a record €442.24 billion at 1 per cent in one-year funds to commercial banks.

The previous record for the central bank’s refinancing operations was €348.6 billion in two-week funds on December 18, 2007 as crisis-hit commercial banks scrambled to bolster their balance sheets during the crunch year-end period.

Analysts at UniCredit markets expected the ECB operation to result in lower rates paid by commercial banks for longer-term borrowing in general and to reduce demand for short-term funds as well.

If that is the outcome, then interest rates overall would be expected to remain low, a key issue as the eurozone grapples with what is likely to be slow recovery from the worst global recession in more than 60 years.

Middleaged

The European Central Bank said today that it lent a record €442.24 billion at 1 per cent in one-year funds to commercial banks.

The previous record for the central bank’s refinancing operations was €348.6 billion in two-week funds on December 18, 2007 as crisis-hit commercial banks scrambled to bolster their balance sheets during the crunch year-end period.

Analysts at UniCredit markets expected the ECB operation to result in lower rates paid by commercial banks for longer-term borrowing in general and to reduce demand for short-term funds as well.

If that is the outcome, then interest rates overall would be expected to remain low, a key issue as the eurozone grapples with what is likely to be slow recovery from the worst global recession in more than 60 years.
I wonder if this will filter into fixed term interest rates?

My guess it won't.

He3

Where does the ECB get that money?

Ramon21

Where does the ECB get that money?
The ecb is the central bank of the euro-zone countries, so I guess they get the money like all other central banks.

Kensington

He3,

It creates it out of thin air. It could create as much at it wanted. The ECB can create money, yet the Irish (or any) Government cannot.

Last edited:

He3

Thanks K.

There must be an opportunity to run a Fás course on that? They are good at making money vanish, so this looks like a natural extension.

Kensington

Locke,

It is preventing deflation. The money has to be created.

Jock_the_Waster

hmm almost half a Trillion

anyone have a list of the banks involved? amounts?

I would love to know how much was spent purchasing governments bonds....

Hobo Sapiens

The ecb is the central bank of the euro-zone countries, so I guess they get the money like all other central banks.
Riiight... what kind of half-assed answer is that? Just vote yes to lisbon and everything will be ok, is that it? Let's ignore the economic fallout that's coming down the line until the referendum? I only hope that most people are not fooled by the subterfuge.

Ramon21

Riiight... what kind of half-assed answer is that? Just vote yes to lisbon and everything will be ok, is that it? Let's ignore the economic fallout that's coming down the line until the referendum? I only hope that most people are not fooled by the subterfuge.
The irish have seen what was promised by the anti-eu nutjobs like yourself.
And what did they get? nothing only more problems and jobs lost.
The irish won't be fooled again!

Hobo Sapiens

Thanks K.

There must be an opportunity to run a Fás course on that? They are good at making money vanish, so this looks like a natural extension.
Wow, creating money out of thin air - how do I get in on that scam?

He3

First you change your name to something ending in Central Bank.

The rest is history.

Last edited:

Hobo Sapiens

The irish have seen what was promised by the anti-eu nutjobs like yourself.
And what did they get? nothing only more problems and jobs lost.
The irish won't be fooled again!
Is there any point trying to debate against such childish comments? Probably not, but let's try:

How has the result of the referendum led to job losses?