Economic Denial

Over the weekend I was sat with a group of friends down the local pub. Of course the only thing people wanted to talk about was the Premier League results and the upcoming budget.

What struck me was how most of my friends didnt believe for one minute the government would introduce a harsh budget. There belief is that the budget will attack the rich and the only cuts in welfare would be the scrapping of child benefits for the rich and medical cards on wealthy pensioners.

I tried my best to explain to them that just hitting the rich wouldnt be enough to fill the gap in spending and that the only way to do this (rightly or wrongly) was to introduce a tough budget hiting all sectors of Ireland including the poor.

But as much as I tried they wouldnt have it, no way would the government do this was the reply.

I then asked what would they do If the government did, but again this idea wasnt even entertained, a flat no way was the response.

I actually think the reason why the Irish havent stood up to the government is because nobody thinks the government will introduce a harsh budget, and like my friends the government is in Economic denial.

Do I have a select few strange friends or is this the same for your friends and family across Ireland?

olamp

Over the weekend I was sat with a group of friends down the local pub. Of course the only thing people wanted to talk about was the Premier League results and the upcoming budget.

What struck me was how most of my friends didnt believe for one minute the government would introduce a harsh budget. There belief is that the budget will attack the rich and the only cuts in welfare would be the scrapping of child benefits for the rich and medical cards on wealthy pensioners.

I tried my best to explain to them that just hitting the rich wouldnt be enough to fill the gap in spending and that the only way to do this (rightly or wrongly) was to introduce a tough budget hiting all sectors of Ireland including the poor.

But as much as I tried they wouldnt have it, no way would the government do this was the reply.

I then asked what would they do If the government did, but again this idea was even entertained as a flat no way was the response.

I actually think the reason why the Irish havent stood up to the government is because nobody thinks the government will introduce a harsh budget, and like my friends the government is in Economic denial.

Do I have a select few strange friends or is this the same for your friends and family across Ireland?
"Ignorance is bliss" --Your friends are in for a big shock on budget day!

johnnypockets

I honestly think it is worse than being in denial. People are totally ignorant of the situation we are in. It never ceases to amaze me how people have no clue of anything to do with economics or politics.
I put this down partly to the lack of education in schools on these subjects and also to the apathy in general of the people. Both play into the establishment's hands.

ocoonassa

People are idiots. Look at who they voted into power last time, consider who they'll vote into power next time. I wouldn't even trust them with the outcome for the X Factor. They are why we're in this mess, of course they can hardly believe it. I hope every last drop of child benefit and social security is cut to the bone and they finally become useful citizens, instead of lazy minded overfed dupes.

anlkestony

People are oblivious and it won't hit them until they open pay packet in Jan. The loss of wages due to changes in tax credits changes etc will be very high. Irish people live in cloud when it comes to economic and politicial issues

eoghanacht

I then asked what would they do If the government did, but again this idea wasnt even entertained, a flat no way was the response.

No, i'd say your friends are the rule rather than the exception.

Aindriu

The sheeple strike again :(

daveL

There is almost zero teaching in our schools regarding how our country is governed or funded.

I believe that is deliberate.

An ignorant uneducated populace suits the mandarins.

olamp

There is almost zero teaching in our schools regarding how our country is governed or funded.

Do these peole not read newspapers or listen to the radio to keep themselves informed?

Podolski1.5

Must be a very different clientele to those in my local. Had a chat with several of them over the weekend. Good mix of occupations though all were over 45. Included an ESB worker, 2 pensioners, an unemployed building worker and a taxi driver. All of them were very much conscious that a vicious budget was coming down the tracks. One of the bunch was a Fianna Fáil member who got quite a lot of stick even though he has long since stopped trying to defend his party.

All of them, including the FF'er, were agreed that not enough was being done to make the rich pay and that the least well of were suffering disproportionately.

Franzoni

And now they want to start to close the libraries......

this has been the FF dream for years to keep control of the country....

Unfortunately Bi ciuin's experience is mine as well with mostly younger people,they never experienced the 70's and 80's so have no idea whats coming down the track......the look at you with a smug expression when you try to explain how bad things were then ....

ocoonassa

Do these peole not read newspapers or listen to the radio to keep themselves informed?
No they're functionally illiterate, reading and thinking take too much effort, Coronation Street and soccer FTW!

Franzoni

No they're functionally illiterate, reading and thinking take too much effort, Coronation Street and soccer FTW!
you forgot the tabloid under the arm on the way to work.....

Squire Allworthy

What percentage of the population is of average intelligence or below?

Most people do not really understand the national economy. Humans are herd animals. Most believe what they hear without too much analysis and temper that with what they see around them.

In the UK they hear austerity, austerity, austerity, but just how austere is it compared to say 5 years ago? All gloom and doom. So like good little sheep they worry and save. The reckless, myself included, look for good buying opportunities.

In Ireland I dare say there is all sorts of spin, rounding corner etc mixed in with vague mention of bonds. What percentage of the population has the slightest idea about bonds or government expenditure? The numbers involved are beyond the comprehension of most.

As for all the talk about taxing the wealthy, not enough of them so the tax will fall on Joe average. A bit on VAT, some on income, reduction in benefits and services etc. Drip, drip, drip.

What Ireland needs to do is create an environment that would encourage economic growth and investment. I can't see how tax policy alone will get you out of this one.

HarshBuzz

There is little valid information to be gleaned from the Irish media. They mainly publish FF spin and the occasional mild criticism of Government.
fully agree

you'd get much more insight from reading good posters on here and TPP than from the Irish media

the Irish Times produces the odd flash and then swiftly ducks down beneath the parapet again whilst the Indo is just hopeless. The Tribune would be my preferred Irish paper and it really isn't great either.

invpat

Must be a very different clientele to those in my local. Had a chat with several of them over the weekend. Good mix of occupations though all were over 45. Included an ESB worker, 2 pensioners, an unemployed building worker and a taxi driver. All of them were very much conscious that a vicious budget was coming down the tracks. One of the bunch was a Fianna Fáil member who got quite a lot of stick even though he has long since stopped trying to defend his party.

All of them, including the FF'er, were agreed that not enough was being done to make the rich pay and that the least well of were suffering disproportionately.
Soon it will just be the ESB worker drinking because he will be only one able to afford to go to the pub.

Cassandra Syndrome

If taxes were simplified and expenditure more transparent, people would be more knowledgeable. We need more direct democracy in this country. A better education system too.

New Threads

Most Replies