Economic Solutions

Bill D Gallows

We've all had good rants including myself, I still want those in FF etc done for treason, but I'll leave that stuff to other threads.

We all know more or less whats wrong, so as a people despite our huge differences in politics, have we got enough to put forward tangible solutions.

My tuppenceworth is as follows:

Our Government has made a critical error in assuming the liabilities of the banks. It is a private debt that the Irish peope should not and cannot pay back. The fiscal debt can only be bridged through a measured austerity/ tax adjustment, coupled with proper cost saving measures in the Public Sector and I say this as a trade union member.

Whether Europe likes it or not, the banks who recklessly lent all of this money will not be getting all of their money back.

Our Government must now step up to the mark and tell this to what are primarily German banks and also tell them that if they bully the country any more, they will receive nothing.

Countries in similar situations should now align themselves to present a more formidable opposition to these banks and our Government should be seeking to do this, along with the others, Spain, Portugal etc.

This will force the German banks to face the reality that they will either get back some of their money or none.

We will then have the conditions to agree terms that will be acceptable not just to the banks , but are affordable for the Irish state.

Any experienced negotiator will tell you, you can only strike a bargain when you have leverage, at the moment Ireland has none. This proposal would generate leverage.

Of course many will be appalled at the 'cheek' of this proposal, but again, experienced negotiators will tell you that when you're playing hardball, you need a pair and you need to be able to hold your nerve in a pressurised situation.

At the moment we are doing none of these, hence the situation is getting worse.

Cassandra Syndrome

A complete renovation. New Free Banking model system, new currency backed by a commodity with relative scarcity, complete direct democracy, no more Feudalism, a new education system, a repraisal of our self destructive social norms.

Gradual savings induced growth. I could go on. Its making the transition is the immense task. Maybe a crash would nudge us that way? The USA started off by being bankrupt in 1776.

HanleyS

The uncomfortable truth is that we need to start from a low base and generate a large trade surplus to start paying off our debts. This means the exact opposite of the knowledge economy. Try telling people that though.

waterford

Get unies colleges to research what the Asian market needs and develope it, provide it, sell it, produce it. Make a plan for present/future employment, decisions based on research findings.
Employ a few of our educated young people to get through the files of Anglo & CO. Pass-words indeed. Why have we educated thousands of students in computer sicience if we cannot use them in the interest of the common good. I know more than one person who can get through any computer security because they are highly skilled indivudals in computer forensicts and it is their job???

Political reform by leglislation.

Limit appointments and base contracts on effectiveness within set time-frames for all civil servants. Rewards for fast efficent services and practical models of change.

Support the national banks and only with pre-set conditions, leave the baggage of Anglo go.

waterford

I forgot the banks need to start lending and the actual price of houses can be adjusted to suit the market, it has to happen and it is better sooner rather than later.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies