Economists on TV

Aristodemus

The Vincent Browne show on TV3 always seems to have the cassandra economists on. Whilst what they say, and forecast might actually be correct, surely there are economists who disagree with them? The government must be taking advice from someone and it might be interesting to hear from one of them. Similarly when listening to Newstalk. I only ever seem to hear from McWilliams, Kiberd, Lucey et al. Is the Government on a solo run, flying in the face of reality, or is this a well thought out strategy?

Trophonius

I'd guess solo run flying in the face of reality. They're very experienced at that!

johnfás

There are very few economists who agree with the direction (at least the public direction as we've no idea what is being mooted privately) of the Government. The public direction of the Government lacks reality - there is simply no way that the economy can bear the level of debt that is being discussed. It really is that simple and then you move on from there. The main problem is we're constantly behind the market, Spain will have defaulted by the time we have decided to default. The only route out of this is a combination of default and quantitative easing by the ECB. I don't think the mandarins at the ECB know how to be central bankers though.

deiseguy

The Vincent Browne show on TV3 always seems to have the cassandra economists on. Whilst what they say, and forecast might actually be correct, surely there are economists who disagree with them? The government must be taking advice from someone and it might be interesting to hear from one of them. Similarly when listening to Newstalk. I only ever seem to hear from McWilliams, Kiberd, Lucey et al. Is the Government on a solo run, flying in the face of reality, or is this a well thought out strategy?
If they are correct whats the point disagreeing with them? In our current situation it's all Cassandra. Every action the FF**kers take worsens the situation because every action they take is based on covering some interest groups ass or their own. At no point have they made a decision in what they are constantly banging on about i.e. the National Interest

ruamruam

The government have consistently lied to us. Their economic advisers (if they have any) have been wrong on every single issue. The 'cassandra economists' have been proven right every time.

Yes I think the government is on a solo run flying in the face of reality. Or perhaps there are too many skeletons in the cupboard and as soon as they admit the game is up the sh*t will hit the fan and expose the corruption at the heart of the government.

hammer

Alan Aherne needs to start talking more.

He is Lendahands economic advisor.

Is Jim O`Leary also now working in DOF. Also Rossa White has moved from Davys I believe.

Anyone on the inside with true knowledge as to the facts and the run on deposits must be aware of the devastation. The DOF must also know how tax receipts from self employed performed. There has been no leak yet as to whether they were up or down on last year.

My belief is down 20%...........if they were up we would have had a "leak"

hammer

Peter Matthews needs to be taken on as a consultant immediately. He would probably work for FREE. Get him in today.

Cassandra Syndrome

The fecker hasn't invited me yet!

ruamruam

Personally I think a lot of the economists would advise for free if asked. Many of them do have, to use that much maligned phrase , the national interest, at heart.

Watcher2

They most likely are getting proper advicxe and, true to form, are chosing to ignore it. Alan Ahearn had a good brain and was more or less in line with the thinking of Lucey, McW and Kelly. Cant see him changing his tune just because he is paid by Lenihan now. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is they are chosing to ignore the advice.

Baron von Biffo

Economists are professional spoofers. If we assembled 100 economists and 100 tarot card readers today and asked each for their predictions on where the economy will be in 12 months we would get more or less the same spread of opinions from each group and the tarot people would be just as likely to be right as the economists.

constitutionus

man if only we had somthing like a - oh i dont know , a senate, where guys like this could be tapped for advice !

never happen i guess.

ang

Economists are professional spoofers. If we assembled 100 economists and 100 tarot card readers today and asked each for their predictions on where the economy will be in 12 months we would get more or less the same spread of opinions from each group and the tarot people would be just as likely to be right as the economists.
But surely Baron they all have the edge on Lenny petunia

ruamruam

They most likely are getting proper advicxe and, true to form, are chosing to ignore it. Alan Ahearn had a good brain and was more or less in line with the thinking of Lucey, McW and Kelly. Cant see him changing his tune just because he is paid by Lenihan now. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is they are chosing to ignore the advice.
If Alan Ahearn's advise is being consistently ignored then surely he should consider his position. The stakes are too high at the moment

SKELLY

How many more times do ye need to be told your house is burning down to the ground!!!!!

Cruffan

Alan Aherne needs to start talking more.

He is Lendahands economic advisor.

Is Jim O`Leary also now working in DOF. Also Rossa White has moved from Davys I believe.

Anyone on the inside with true knowledge as to the facts and the run on deposits must be aware of the devastation. The DOF must also know how tax receipts from self employed performed. There has been no leak yet as to whether they were up or down on last year.

My belief is down 20%...........if they were up we would have had a "leak"
Alan Ahearne is part of the Problem.

One Ahearn caused this problem, another Ahearne is not going to fix it!

€250 billion is the correct figure of our total exposure, with €100 billion of this being used to replace deposits being withdrawn in what is a Bank Run.

The political class are totally adrift by their pre-occupation with cuts of €6 billion in the Budget.

Our Politicians do not see the big picture. Are we surprised?

Last edited:

Aristodemus

I think a lot of people are missing my point. I am not criticisng the people who appear on TV but the absence of a counterbalance. My instinct is that the Government has been wrong all along but it has to be getting advice from someone. I do not believe that there are NO economists who do not agree with Government strategy. It's just that we don't hear from them

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies