Economy has 'turned corner' says S&P

GDPR

"THE economy will recover more quickly than several other European countries and has 'turned a corner', world financial experts claimed last night.

A key global credit rating agency offered one of the most optimistic assessments to date of our prospects."

So say S&P.

Economy has 'turned corner' says top rating agency boss - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

What are they at? In the pay of the Government or what else can it be?

As the main headline in today's Independent I'm sure there must be several threads on this already. If so, I do apologise and ask that this thread be locked or do whatever is normally done with unnecessary threads.

Newsy

And which 'corner' would that be???

And how much do we owe them for that piece of info.???

We must be looking better, as a risk.....time to celebrate what ff have brought us to!!!!

Please, don't make me sick with this talk of 'corners'.....tell that to those who have no work, or to those who have no heating, or who have to leave this country to find work!!!

HarshBuzz

I'm confused; why do they keep cutting our ratings then?

and placing us on negative watch

a feeble-minded soul like myself doesn't know what to make of it at all, at all

Hewson

"People think that the Irish political establishment may be suffering from exhaustion, reform fatigue. We actually do not detect that," he (Mr Beers) added.

That's the part I found most amusing. I don't think his views would be shared where they most count.

Really, S&P, along with the other rating agencies, has little credibility left, given their failure to predict the world-wide bust and their pathetic endorsement of the state of the US housing market right up to its downfall.

It would be nice to think that yet another corner had been turned but I'm beginning to think that all these corners are just part of the 10-acre hedge-maze we're stuck in, thanks to a lack of basic intelligence, integrity and leadership among our discredited politicians.

Edo

Heh Heh

Ah Jaysis Tonic

Its absolutely wonderful that S and P have told us that we will rebound a lot faster than the rest of Europe and that we've turned the corner -

It sounds distinctly like a press release by somebody else this time last year telling us that we'd "turned the corner" - I suppose we're finally back where we started after turning all them corners.

Far be it from me to question the simultaneous outbursts of optimism coming from a few of the financial industry in a week where Brian Lenihan was visiting Wall Street - surely there is no connection?

I've just one further question - if our prospects are so good - why have S&P not improved our credit rating?.....................

councilkid

"People think that the Irish political establishment may be suffering from exhaustion, reform fatigue. We actually do not detect that," he (Mr Beers) added.

That's the part I found most amusing. I don't think his views would be shared where they most count.

Really, S&P, along with the other rating agencies, has little credibility left, given their failure to predict the world-wide bust and their pathetic endorsement of the state of the US housing market right up to its downfall.

It would be nice to think that yet another corner had been turned but I'm beginning to think that all these corners are just part of the 10-acre hedge-maze we're stuck in, thanks to a lack of basic intelligence, integrity and leadership among our discredited politicians.
+1. Well said.

foreignfield80

Great news, I assume the tax increases are being shelved?

He3

Last edited:

HarshBuzz

interesting that the Irish Times don't cover this at all (the paper of record after all) and that the Indo gives it such prominence

I wonder why

farnaby

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=narEWDouJfA&feature=related"]YouTube - Tricky Hell Is Round The Corner[/ame]

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
In general: no one should give any ratings agency special credence. They proved to be worse than useless in the global financial crisis.

That said, their analysis might be valid - though it should have no more standing than that of say any established poster on p.ie

cYp

GDPR

A universal welcome so far then.

It can’t be often that something lives 100% up to expectations, so well done chaps.

foreignfield80

Are the tax increases being shelved??????

HarshBuzz

are they improving our rating?????

Hewson

A universal welcome so far then.

It can’t be often that something lives 100% up to expectations, so well done chaps.
Tonic, when we SEE things improving we'll welcome that, okay?

Meanwhile, it's just more jargon. And that doesn't put petrol in your tank.

Aindriu

We have turned so many corners now I am getting extremely dizzy :D

Who sang the song "Spinning & Spinning"? petunia

Magellan

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJv5qLsLYoo]YouTube - Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)[/ame]

Right so, no need for a harsh budget then, first rounds on Tonic!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIj-6fr2SlI]YouTube - D:ream "Things can only get better"[/ame]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies