• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ed Moloney's true intentions re: Boston College Project?

S

SeamusNapoleon

Niall O’Dowd had an article yesterday on his Irish Central website where he cites Ed Moloney’s own blog in illuminating the true intent behind Moloney’s pet project - his oral history of the northern conflict; that it was no more an exercise in academic freedom than an open essay competition in a North Korean university. In his blog, Moloney seems to jocularly confirm that his principal intent in launching the project was to 'get' Adams - unless my and O'Dowd's inferences are all askewed. So much for those he interviewed then.

O’Dowd has his many detractors on this site. I’m not going to stand over the man, but if people can only attack the messenger instead of dealing with the substantive points of his article, youse would only be showing your own weakness:

I have long maintained that Moloney was out to get Adams when he decided to do the tapes, and persuaded Boston College to underwrite the project and give it academic recognition – something the college now deeply regrets.

Moloney has denied all of this, but in a recent reply to a Unionist writer, Water Ellis, on his own blog site, he seems to admit it.
O’Dowd goes on to cite the blog, with Moloney replying to a congratulations from Ellis – who erroneously believes that the saga is settled, it seems:

MOLONEY: “Ah Walter! I had thought you dead and gone. Never a losing cause, just keeping my promise to people. If I do have an obsession it is with outing liars, which is why I write about Lance Armstrong! There is another outrageous liar with whom we are both familiar, me perhaps more than you. Wears a beard and used to puff on a pipe a lot. Write about him too.”

ELLIS
: “I hope you’re not suggesting that a certain one-time barkeep, for whom power was the ultimate performance-enhancing drug, will one day soon be stripped of his many titles.”

MOLONEY: “A former barkeep with a power complex? Whom could you possibly be talking about?”

Read more: Boston College Irish tapes - the truth about Ed Moloney
The link to Moloney’s blog:

Victory At The Supreme Court! | The Broken Elbow

Last edited by a moderator:

skiii

To quote Pee Flynn on another gentleman, Ed has ''been out of sorts'' for quite some time.

S

simeongrimes

I don't think anyone ever seriously doubted what the exercise was about.

gijoe

Grizzly has been keeping a very low profile of late for a party leader for some reason.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Grizzly has been keeping a very low profile of late for a party leader for some reason.
Er... from today's Times alone:

SINN FÉIN wants “a new ethos for cherishing the children of this State”, Gerry Adams said yesterday at the launch of his party’s campaign for a Yes vote in the children’s referendum.

'Enough good' for SF to back Yes - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 26, 2012
In a major policy speech delivered last night, Mr Adams set out a detailed definition of republicanism for his party for the future, which he said would be relevant for the modern post-conflict era.

Adams defines republicanism for Sinn Féin of future - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 26, 2012

Hitch 22

Why does Nial O'Dowd believe that the peace process cannot survive without Adams?

Now Irish America needs to make clear that it is against the handing over of the tapes to the British government, but also that they are not blinkered by what was actually being attempted here – nothing less than setting up Adams and endangering the peace process. Irish America should not be fooled to believe anything else.

Read more: Boston College Irish tapes - the truth about Ed Moloney
Moloney clearly has an agenda and is working on behalf of others but O'Dowd and Morrison are his mirror image.

Adams should get off the stage and let some new people move things on from the dark days of the past.

jdaly

Niall O’Dowd had an article yesterday on his Irish Central website where he cites Ed Moloney’s own blog in illuminating the true intent behind Moloney’s pet project - his oral history of the northern conflict; that it was no more an exercise in academic freedom than an open essay competition in a North Korean university. In his blog, Moloney seems to jocularly confirm that his principal intent in launching the project was to 'get' Adams - unless my and O'Dowd's inferences are all askewed. So much for those he interviewed then.

O’Dowd has his many detractors on this site. I’m not going to stand over the man, but if people can only attack the messenger instead of dealing with the substantive points of his article, youse would only be showing your own weakness:

O’Dowd goes on to cite the blog, with Moloney replying to a congratulations from Ellis – who erroneously believes that the saga is settled, it seems:

I started reading 'Boston College Irish tapes-the truth about Ed Moloney' and straight away found , ".He hired anti-Gerry Adams researcher and dissident spokesman Anthony McIntyre". When he describes McIntyre as 'a dissident spokesman', that is enough, pure nonsense and lies. I don't believe McIntyre is even remotely connected to any group, much less a 'spokesman', but maybe for O'Dowd just to take a non Sinn Fein line is to become a 'dissident spokesman'

Nordie Northsider

Maloney's distain for Adams does not at all 'confirm' that 'his principal intent in launching the project was to 'get' Adams.'

When Maloney accuses Adams of lying about his involvement in the IRA, he is clearly right. I've voted Sinn Féin in every elction I've ever voted in, and I for one wish that Adams would drop the act. It completely robs him of credibility.

jdaly

Maloney's distain for Adams does not at all 'confirm' that 'his principal intent in launching the project was to 'get' Adams.'

When Maloney accuses Adams of lying about his involvement in the IRA, he is clearly right. I've voted Sinn Féin in every elction I've ever voted in, and I for one wish that Adams would drop the act. It completely robs him of credibility.
Indeed, and there are very few in Ireland who would disagree with that.

streetdwellingdog

Adams should get off the stage and let some new people move things on from the dark days of the past.
Surely something for SF members to decide on. And whatever your view of the direction taken, Adams has certainly 'moved things on' from the 'dark days'

A revealing insight into Maloneys thinking and motivation.
I've not long finished reading the book and there are plenty of prompts from the researcher to Brendan Hughes and even more prompts to repeat what he already said.
And although many names are named, in other parts identities are not disclosed.

David Irvines contribution about the conflict amounted to 'we sat around doing very little' though the UVF were certainly very active at the time. He mentions no names of active participants other than those tried and convicted and therefore a matter of record anyway.

Glad I didn't have to pay for it is the best thing I can say about it.

S

SeamusNapoleon

I started reading 'Boston College Irish tapes-the truth about Ed Moloney' and straight away found , ".He hired anti-Gerry Adams researcher and dissident spokesman Anthony McIntyre". When he describes McIntyre as 'a dissident spokesman', that is enough, pure nonsense and lies. I don't believe McIntyre is even remotely connected to any group, much less a 'spokesman', but maybe for O'Dowd just to take a non Sinn Fein line is to become a 'dissident spokesman'
I don't agree with that either.
Do you have any comment to make on Moloney's blog posts?

They weren't written by O'Dowd, so I presume you can read them (provided in the link).

Eoin Coir

what is being insinuated here is that Maloney set up the Boston College thing, knowing that a court might order the release. Flight of fancy, even by O Dowd's standards.

statsman

There's no particular reason to assume that the sole purpose of the project was to undermine Adams. Can we even tell if Moloney thought of Adams as a liar that long ago? Is it possible that his 'obsession' with wanting a prominent politician to be honest is any older, say, than the 2011 GE? Is there anything intrinsically wrong with wanting honesty from elected representatives? Other than its impracticality, of course

I should make it clear that I don't actually share the view that Adams is bad for SF's electoral prospects. In fact, I think he fits quite nicely with the shallow celeb culture of today. He's a well-known figure, one with a whiff of cordite about him, a hero for the people, if you like. But he also has a reputation as a peace-maker. There are also all those lovely photos of him with the famous and powerful of the wider world to take advantange of. If anything, SF are likely to struggle with the transition to being just another political party when the ageing rock star generation fades away.

statsman

Without any shade of doubt, yes.
I'll take your word for it.

Can we therefore demonstrate without any reasonable doubt that the sole reason for the Boston project was to prove this fact?

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Strange way of keeping a low profile speaking in the Dail and been on the TV a few nights a week.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies