Eddie Hobbs fund losses in the US

Herr Rommel

I would trust my savings in a pyramid scheme sooner that trust Eddie Hobbs.

SeanieFitz

RTE gave Hobbs the platform to make a name for himself, they set him up as being some kind of a guru and people lapped it up. Real successful business people don't appear on TV, radio, print media to proclaim themselves as being some form of an oracle. Eddie is little more than a snake oil salesman and I will never understand how he has such a high media profile. I will never understand how Lucinda hitched her wagon to him.

A neighbour of mine bought an apartment in Bulgaria (or some such country), invested what he thought was handy enough money following a investment roadshow in Limerick. His brother said that the same fella would spend a few hours going through a second hand car before buying it, would wreck the head of the fella sellling it with questions and he still gave 40k to some guy for a building that wasn't even built in a country he couldn't even find on a map!
A fool and his money are .........you know the rest!

Polly Ticks

Ah here.. I know Detroit has been getting bad press for decades, but it's on the way up...

How is Detroit faring today? The city is in the midst of a resurgence that actually began before the bankruptcy process. Downtown Detroit has seen a significant uptick in investment over the last ten years, led by the stewardship of billionaire Quicken Loans founder and Detroit native Dan Gilbert and fellow Detroiter and billionaire Little Caesar's Pizza founder and Detroit Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Illitch. Their efforts have led to the types of revitalization that typified many cities in the '80s and '90s -- downtown stadiums, office and entertainment development. Detroit's Midtown, Corktown, Woodbridge, east riverfront and other areas adjacent to downtown have become hotspots, and now the city and its residents are contemplating the spillover effects of such growth into areas that have long been forgotten.
Forbes Welcome

SMH.

dizillusioned

He is a bit of an idiot if he couldn't make money in Detroit all he had to look at was Grosse Pointe or similar areas and he could have doubled his funds.

The "get rich quick" proponents are usually the ones who have little brain but a massive mouth.

ruserious

If we cast our minds back to 09/10, the "celebrity financial expert" industry was at its prime (in contrast to the real economy, which had just crashed).

Every radio/tv/ newspaper one would engage with had Hobbs/Jill Kirby/Somerville/McCarthy/Gudiev/McWilliams/Keenan and several others I can't remember.

Now, it's experts on American Politics and Social Housing.

It seems punditry, like politics and economics, is cyclical
A lot of these pundits, McWilliams especially, are masters in the art of being naysayers in the good times and optimists in the bad. It gets them on the air no matter what the economic climate. They have beaten the cyclical cycle as it were.

Enigma Variations

A neighbour of mine bought an apartment in Bulgaria (or some such country), invested what he thought was handy enough money following a investment roadshow in Limerick. His brother said that the same fella would spend a few hours going through a second hand car before buying it, would wreck the head of the fella sellling it with questions and he still gave 40k to some guy for a building that wasn't even built in a country he couldn't even find on a map!
A fool and his money are .........you know the rest!
"Roadshow?" Therein lies all you need to know.
Decent investment opportunities don't need "roadshow" hawkers to sell successfully.

Casablanca

I'm waiting for poetry to come back around.
I can imagine Moaning Ireland's crew:

"Following the recent election of Walt Whitman as President of the US, many people are wondering on the effects of his decision to have Asylum Applications phrased in Sonnets. We're joined now to discuss this issue by......"

dizillusioned

I'm waiting for poetry to come back around.
Never going to happen... its Fake and Facebook is banning fake stuff (can't wait till they ban those fake watches, sunglasses and clothing links even if they are getting revenue from them)

Polly Ticks

They say things are so bad he might even have to sell his brass neck.

T

Toowoomba

Hobbs Financial Practice About Eddie

Eddie Hobbs QPT (IIPM), QFA, C.Dip. A.F., FlIA (dip)

https://hobbsfinancial.ie/about/

Gawd, Eddie has a bunch of letters after his name, and there is me with only four letters after six years Finance study. :D

Emily Davison

He is a bit of an idiot if he couldn't make money in Detroit all he had to look at was Grosse Pointe or similar areas and he could have doubled his funds.

The "get rich quick" proponents are usually the ones who have little brain but a massive mouth.
He may have lost on the property but he made money on the fees. Ross pointed it out. That's what it was about. And luckily for the investors that fund never managed to borrow as much as they wanted or Hobbs and the management team would have has even higher fees ( because the fees were a percentage of not only the invested money but the borrowed money).

Also as far as I know it would be mostly small time investors as to get into it the figure was very low. I just hope the investors didn't borrow to invest.

dizillusioned

He may have lost on the property but he made money on the fees. Ross pointed it out. That's what it was about. And luckily for the investors that fund never managed to borrow as much as they wanted or Hobbs and the management team would have has even higher fees ( because the fees were a percentage of not only the invested money but the borrowed money).

Also as far as I know it would be mostly small time investors as to get into it the figure was very low. I just hope the investors didn't borrow to invest.
One question that most people never ask and should ALWAYS ASK..... how much investment is being made by those involved.

Emily Davison

One question that most people never ask and should ALWAYS ASK..... how much investment is being made by those involved.

It's not just that, you shouldn't invest in what you don't know about unless you're prepared to lose it. Though 10 cent back in the Euro is spectacular by any standard.

Has RTE done a programme on it, I wonder who the punters were that were so foolish to take such a gamble.

I'd also like to know how much Hobbs and the rest of the management lost.

constitutionus

His advisory role with this matches his success with Renua :

40 houses owned by Irish EuroMillions family seized
i seen that.

jesus christ what was she thinking ?

detroit ! the place you could LITERALLY buy a gaff for $1. she'da made more moola buying gaffs in her old neighbourhood (and had more knowledge of the area too)

ok i know she's got 115 mil so 5mil is nothing to her but still, better ways to blow it.

fat finger

Hobbs Financial Practice About Eddie

Eddie Hobbs QPT (IIPM), QFA, C.Dip. A.F., FlIA (dip)

https://hobbsfinancial.ie/about/

Gawd, Eddie has a bunch of letters after his name, and there is me with only four letters after six years Finance study. :D

Never mind, finance isn't about letters as much as numbers - any fool can get letters after his name, and many do, but only a few can make their numbers add up the way they promise. Maybe Hobbs would have had better success if his business card said "Mr Edward Hobbs 2 + 2 = 5"

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies