Eddie Hobbs on discussion websites: The Last Word

irish_bob

Yes, and that's exactly where thepropertypin.com came from - people who got banned from AAM for daring to speak negatively about the property market.
who hasnt been banned from askaboutmoney , they must be down to about six contributors at this stage , they only seem to do lifetime bans at that site

stoichkov

wasn't hobbs recently quoted in the sunday times (i think) admitting that he'd lost his bollocks on his property portfolio? bye bye credibility.

and i distinctly remember him singing the bulgarian tune loudly and often in the mid-2000s. that didn't work out too well.

he's as much fair game as anyone else to receive a slagging, regardless of how much he might bleat about unfair treatment.

dresden8

and i distinctly remember him singing the bulgarian tune loudly and often in the mid-2000s. that didn't work out too well.
I did tell a friend not to invest in Bulgaria.

He looked at me like I was a risk averse public servant who didn't understand the gutsy ballsy guys. How stupid did I feel?

Still got a paycut though. How fair is that?

jmcc

...I think you might have your irony filter turned off.
Nah. I just think that a lot of political fora run the gamut from clueless to clueful. They are places where people mix and discuss things - where a communist might find common ground with a capitalist. Dismissing them in simple terms is, to use a Corkonian expression, the act of a langer.

Regards...jmcc

dresden8

Hobbs made his fortune telling people who earn 30k per annum not to spend 40k per annum.

Unfortunately in Celtic Tiger Ireland this was a huge economic revelation and worthy of sainthood.

An uneducated few new this was madness, but what did we know? It would make more sense if we ************************************ off and hanged ourselves.

How dare we?

Cellach

wasn't hobbs recently quoted in the sunday times (i think) admitting that he'd lost his bollocks on his property portfolio? bye bye credibility.

he's as much fair game as anyone else to receive a slagging, regardless of how much he might bleat about unfair treatment.
Yup, said he no longer wanted to be referred to as a financial guru.

Maximus Cynicus

who hasnt been banned from askaboutmoney , they must be down to about six contributors at this stage , they only seem to do lifetime bans at that site
Hey, I thought I was the only one with the distinction of the lifetime ban :shock:

Barnacle

Yup, said he no longer wanted to be referred to as a financial guru.

Having the honour :rolleyes: of seeing him speak at many forums prior to his Rip Off Ireland days, I can say that he should never have been refereed to as a financial guru. In fact, many times I was appalled at what he was spouting.

gatsbygirl20

I did tell a friend not to invest in Bulgaria.

He looked at me like I was a risk averse public servant who didn't understand the gutsy ballsy guys. How stupid did I feel?

Still got a paycut though. How fair is that?
I did the same with a friend who bought property in Spain. I said that the Costas were hell holes and he would probably be ripped off. He didn't speak to me for a while, said I had no courage, but that he was a different animal.

Unfortunately he bought. The place was never finished, or has no planning, or some awful story that was too depressing to listen to. He also bought in Bulgaria after the peak. He was an intelligent business guy. What brain virus did these guys all get?

BTW, Was Eddie H not the "Rip-Off Ireland" guy, also?

Mister_Jinks

I thought it was an excellent interview and he was absolutely right about journalism in the papers and the quality of some of the postings on forums that just appallingly slate a perosn and dont engage in real debate.
Maybe so. But as lorng as one expresses an opinion and does not make factual claims abo
ut an entity or individual then there is no legal issue or am I wrong?

Nathan

Part of Discussion Makes his point

Look back on this discussion. Hobbs has been accused of selling Bulgarian property - he didn't. In fact he attacked it. That was in the interview. He never promoted or sold Irish property but here he is accused of doing so. Btw that also was in the interview. His views are published. Posters here are stating as facts things that simply aren't true and clearly have not heard the Cooper IV. Ironically you've made his point.

As for his record, he has published several books outlining his opinions but here he is dismissed because of a popular money makeover series. You put him down as a simple budget guy. That's an opinion but once again it doesn't tally with the facts. Hobbs is no fool

adamirer

he was misquoted... he answered that clearly in the last word interview. Having listened to the 2006 show, he actually explains about gearing but doesn't really go out and say invest in Ireland (despite the backdrop) and points out rental yields are/will be less than interest rates. I think if you listen to the whole of what he said, he wasn't too wrong. Its location, location, location.. and the location wasn't Ireland :)

adamirer

I think even this thread makes his point We're shooting the messenger.

No one gets it right all the timee. Not Soros, not Buffet, not Morgan Kelly, McWilliams, Hobbs, Richard Curran etc, BUT some are right more often than not.

If anyone got it right all the time they'd be megarich. No one knows exactly how markets will go but Kelly accurately predicted the scale of the housing market collapse (2006) and the banking exposure in Irish banks , Hobbs was telling people to invest in German property & gold/platinum/mineral commodities and screaming about INBS (Larkin debacle).

They didn't get it all right, and got a few things wrong, but they got a lot more right than most people. If more ordinary people listened to Hobbs, the probems with personal debt with be a lot less, if Gov had listened to Kelly and not Bacon, the country would be so much better positioned.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies