• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Eddie Hobbs- rip-off republic

Deep Throat

lads, i reckon this stuff is going to cause havoc for the govt and politicians in general. his easy style makes it simple for the ordinary guy in the street to understand exactly where the rip-offs are occurring.
"low-tax economy"-- he certainly blew that out of the water.
that was worth 50 party political broadcasts by any opposition party.
he's basically telling the people "hey these guys are screwing you and you are getting zero in return"
this will in fact be the ground on which the next general election will be fought. VALUE FOR MONEY!

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
Deep Throat said:
this will in fact be the ground on which the next general election will be fought.
Private enterprise?

So you think the next GE will be SP, SWP and WP v. All the rest?

Good luck with that.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Deep Throat said:
lads, i reckon this stuff is going to cause havoc for the govt and politicians in general. his easy style makes it simple for the ordinary guy in the street to understand exactly where the rip-offs are occurring.
he's basically telling the people "hey these guys are screwing you and you are getting zero in return"
this will in fact be the ground on which the next general election will be fought. VALUE FOR MONEY!
I hope lots of people who wouldn't normally read the financial\political pages tune in as he is making the arguments very accessible - good public service broadcasting.

It struck me as being a cross between the old Royal Institution Christmas lectures and a Baptist congregation complete with audience shouts of approval. Hopefully he'll keep up steam.

(and anyway - any excuse to show Pee talking about struggling to keep three houses on the go is worth it)

campbeca

I watched a few minutes of the show. The audience were hanging on his every word. It was like Nuremburg or something. If the IRA have gone away this guy is the only man who stands a chance of staging a people's coup

geraghd

Deep Throat said:
Oh great, thats FG in back into govt again so.

primetime

The show was rubbish. He kept jumping from issue to issue without going into any detail on anything.

For example, his main point on house prices was that cement costs €85 per tonne in Ireland as opposed to €45 in Europe. I don't know how many tonnes of cement go into building a house, but I am sure it doesn't go anywhere near explaining why house prices have gone up so much. Come one Eddie, you can do better than that.

He should stop the party political jibes or the show won't last long.

It was a lecture to a load of children, the world according to Eddie.

tulip

Very good interesting and entertaining show, best part was the little parcel to Micheal Martin, Keep it up Eddie !!! and get those shower out of government :lol: :lol:

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
primetime said:
The show was rubbish. He kept jumping from issue to issue without going into any detail on anything.

For example, his main point on house prices was that cement costs €85 per tonne in Ireland as opposed to €45 in Europe. I don't know how many tonnes of cement go into building a house, but I am sure it doesn't go anywhere near explaining why house prices have gone up so much. Come one Eddie, you can do better than that.

He should stop the party political jibes or the show won't last long.

It was a lecture to a load of children, the world according to Eddie.
Granted it wasn't an indepth discussion of macro- and micro-economics, but it was accessible and entertaining, while also teaching viewers something. Not everyone will sit down to watch a Prime Time report on rip-offs while they may watch this.

I also think he should keep up the party political jibes - the government have presided over the rip-off, and since a lot of last night's show concerned stealth taxes its right to show who's responsible.

PinkoLeftie

primetime said:
He kept jumping from issue to issue without going into any detail on anything.
It is just a TV show. Its not supposed to be an in-depth economic lecture.

I thought it was very good. He was clear, easy to understand and practical. I was very glad to see the lady who brought Lidl to Trim get national attention at last.
Eddie was also entertaining, which is no mean feat when talking about the subject of "value for money". Sure he jumped quickly from topic to topic, but all TV does that nowadays.

PinkoLeftie

tulip said:
best part was the little parcel to Micheal Martin
I liked his practical touch. This nappie stunt is a good effort at demonstrating people-power. This campaign, if it gets off the ground, is the type of thing that can make politics more relevant to people, which gets more people interested in politics, which can only be a good thing, I'm sure all of you here would agree.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
primetime said:
I don't think that was point of saying it.

west_brit

Website
www.ogra.ie
To be honest I don’t think anybody needs Eddie Hobbs to tell them that they are being royally screwed.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Eddie Hobbs is a financial expert and a plain speaking, no bullshit one at that.

Whilst I think there should be more government intervention on some things (i'd like to see house prices brought down by flooding the market with more property *shakes fist at planning objectors*), but I think the attempt by political parties to attach political arguments to this is quite pathetic and devoid of any actual reality.

Would FG prevent 100/120% Mortgages?
Would they tell the banks how much to charge in fees/interest rates?
Would they tell the shops how much to charge to food?
Would they tell any company how much they can charge for any service?

If the answer was yes to anything above, then that's just WRONG. Welcome to the free market, it's a cold and lonely place.

'Rip Off Ireland' does exist, but see the big picture, the hearts and minds of people need to be changed to alter their behaviour not as voters (to score political points, vote or seats) but to alter their consumer behaviour to shop around, and when being charged an unreasonable price, to simply say 'no'.

There is a hell of alot of greed in our economy, the idea being to charge as much as the market can bare, rather than anything else. The likes of Lidl, Aldi, and heck, even Ryanair (they're just big busses with wings...) are changing that.

Ultimately however, much of this cannot have any intervention from government (other than bringing in more competition), but plain talking people like Eddie Hobbs, bring it on!

qtman

primetime said:
The shoe was worse than rubbish, it was downright irresponsible on the part of RTE.

The whole thrust of it seemed to be that economics is really simple and not complicated at all and 'The Government' is just using that as an excuse to scr3w with you. The treatment of the Groceries Order was over-simplified and entirely partisan, and calls into question RTE's adherence to their Public Service Charter.

In general, the programme will just serve to inflate still further the bubble of cliche that is political and economic debate in Ireland.

If EH really wanted to serve some good he should have taken 5 people from the audience, asked them how much they earn, compare that to the earnings of a random sample of Europeans and explained what Purchasing Power Parity is.

And I'm going to write to Michael Martin to tell him to keep the Groceries Order. I might even do it on a nappy.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
David - your questions 2,3 and 4 should be matter for the free market and as long as there is proper competition the government shouldn't intervene.

I do have some concerns on the mortgages. Given that the banks only need to have a fraction of the mortgage's value in actual capital, getting into a situation where the loan is potentially worth more than the recoverable value of the property is dangerous. It also means that borrowers are immediately into negative equity until their home price increases to meet the value of the mortgage. In an era of slowing house price rises, this could also be dangerous.

Unlike the later questions which are to do with competition, mortgage regulation is a matter for the government's fiscal policy especially as while consumer choice is a personal matter, society's borrowing habits can have a detrimental effect on everyone if things go wrong.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Interest rates are determined by the European Central Bank first off, secondly, the idea of negative equity and homes having a value, is just as much apart of the problem with borrowings in this country.

Homes do not have a financial value unless you sell them, so people remortaging their homes to realise for cash is part of the problem

There is only so much you can do in a free market before you have to stop and say "do we legislate or educate"?

IFSRA, MABS and other organisations (and Eddie Hobbs) provide this education, people should start listening.

If that ain't public service, I don't know what is.

david

qtman said:
If EH really wanted to serve some good he should have taken 5 people from the audience, asked them how much they earn, compare that to the earnings of a random sample of Europeans and explained what Purchasing Power Parity is.
Or try this.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Dave,

the main method of keeping prices down is competition, and I suppose I could ask if since you singled out Fg do you think it more or less likely that any of the other parties, Labour, Greens, Sf, SWP, SP, are more likely than FG to increase access to the market. Does this mean that FG will make it as easy as it should be to get into the marketplace? Honestly, I don't know if Fg will go that far, but FG is more likely to do so than any of the above and as we know from practical experience neither of the government parties who are in the power have done that much.

No, but a stronger role for the IFSRA with some teeth, (the banks should have fined multiples of the amount of their overcharging and the money used for something like local community facilities in deprived areas)

Nope, I certainly hope not, they should demand that all business make their price list available on a daily basis to a central register maintained by the state which some bright person would design a nice front end for and consumers should be able to see live and online where the bargains. Shopping around shouldn't mean driving around.

No, though all pricing should be final, and displayed publicly.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
primetime said:

For example, his main point on house prices was that cement costs €85 per tonne in Ireland as opposed to €45 in Europe. I don't know how many tonnes of cement go into building a house, but I am sure it doesn't go anywhere near explaining why house prices have gone up so much.
But does provoke questions in people's minds as to cartel practice in the cement industry. Which in turn help to explain additional costs in roadbuilding, major infrastructural projects like bridges and motorways, as well as some though not all of the excess in house prices.
Eddie done well.[/quote]

SPN

Fine Gael learned a very important lesson in 1997:

If you don't do what the big boys tell you, they will crush you.

Anybody remember the headline on the front of the Independent on Election Day?

It came about because FG were promising to create competition in the TV Rebroadcast business - thus breaking up Tony O'Reilly & Ray Burke's monopoly.

John Bruton was called down to Sir Anthony's summer residence in West Cork and told what the score was.

Bruton didn't listen, and we got the headline "For years they've been robbing us blind. Now it's payback time".

Kind of ironic that, given what we've since found out in the tribunals about FFailure.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies