EDL Leader Tommy Robinson arrested (Original Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin Towers

Hey there, this is my first post.

I'm from England and have the utmost respect for the Irish and Ireland and am in a position to say I understand the history of your island, in stark contrast to the little Englanders who know sweet FA and uphold some pretty primitive anti-Irish attitudes. I certainly feel more at home on this discussion forum than most other English forums- there's clearly much intelligent debate to be had with everyone here...well maybe not everyone!

However, in response to the above regarding British citizens being second-class citizens in their own country, and how Britain's on the verge of civil war, I have to disagree, as will countless other Brits. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm one of those 'nut-job' truthers who believes that there's much more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye. I believe that Muslims are being used as patsies in provacative rallies such as the ones you see in the Daily Mail / Wail / Fail / Sieg Heil. Heaven help Ireland now that the said rag is publishing within its media sphere. If there's one tabloid comic that is the scourge of Britain, it's the Daily Mail and all the other right-wing bigoted papers.

With regard to the issues at hand here, you must bear in mind that during these rallies, it is ALWAYS the same people carrying the placards and chanting the same rubbish again and again. They do not exceed 50 out of a possible 2,000,000 'Muslims' (and that's assuming anyone Muslim is actually a practising one), and the EDL are particularly misguided as they level their anger at all Muslims in the world, as opposed to the 'radicals' who are there to antagonise and generate publicity for themselves.

The EDL are a bigoted lot who support the BNP primarily- the very party who would not flinch in re-colonising Eire.

I'd urge you all to take the negative images of Islam in Britain with a pinch of salt. I could go on about this forever, but rest assured that the bulk of practising Muslims in Britain are not out to behead anyone or impose Shariah law over the masses.

The mass media have an agenda, and are particularly manipulative. It's awful to see the mindset of the average working class Brit go from bad to worse, especially when the truth is being obscured. To them, this whole saga started on 11th September 2001 and so anything going on before that date is irrelevant, save for when Muslims are being made to appear as the perpetrators of anything evil.

Anyway, let me know what you think!
Tyke, good post but you might be better served taking your issues and rebutting EDL at their own forum which is free for anyone to join.

EDL The Forum

I imagine there is a disdain for the Irish evident there as well despite their current leaders Irish parentage.

bob3344

EDL are basically a loose collection of football hooligan firms who now believe they have a cause that unites them,in a couple of years time they will be back kicking seven shades of doodoo out of each other.
Makes me wonder were FIFA made aware of them while deciding where to stage upcoming World Cups?.
What, and they decided to go for Russia instead ? the place where managers are afraid to sign black players because of how their fans might react, the place where bananas are routinely thrown at black players ?

The guy who scored two from west brom at the weekend came from russia - when he left, the russians held up a banner with his name, a picture of a banana and a caption -'thanks west brom'.

Fifa only care about one thing - bribes.

Capt Blah

Website
www.mehearty.blogspot.com
These issues are always a bit more complicated in the UK because of its colonial history. Many English people feel a need to indulge "foreign" religions such as Islam although they struggle with this because of incidents like the poppy-burning, above. A small number of otherwise indulgent English citizens feel a secret sympathy for the BNP/EDL types - and, although they would never openly support them, see them as reacting to something which is genuinely sinister.

In Ireland, we have faced a massive cultural change in recent years with virtually no discussion or political debate. It is a difficult subject to broach and people are terrified of being branded racist. The reality is that we have gone from a mostly white, allegedly Christian country to a multi-cultural mix in a very short period (10-15 years). We have many thousands of bogus asylum-seekers from Africa now living and working here, many thousands of Asians living and working here (though officially here as students) and substantial numbers of our fellow Europeans living and working here. There is also a growing Arab community. This is not a good thing or a bad thing - it is simply different to what we had before, and will take some getting used to. Personally I like to meet people from around the world and think it is no harm at all to have these new people as workmates, friends and neighbours (though I have some reservations about the bogus asylum-seekers, as these are telling lies at the point of entry and cost us a fortune, which we can no longer afford...if we ever could. Also, they damage the credibility of genuine asylum-seekers, who deserve all the help we can give them).

The problems seem (to me) to arise from immigrant communities who do not become a part of their new society, who remain in their own ethnic community without reaching out or attempting to become a part of the new society in which they find themselves. I understand that this can be difficult and that these efforts will sometimes meet with rejection - but it is important that they do try.

In the UK it is definitely the case that many Islamic people, some second and third generation, remain outside of mainstream British society. Worse than that, they have an intense hatred of British society and would support anti-British forces / influences. It is a very dangerous thing when substantial numbers of your own citizenry would like to see your nation destroyed. These anti-British Muslims would never dream of going to live in an Islamic state, as they enjoy the freedoms of the Western world - but they also hate the West ... like I said, it is complicated and not always logical.

A similar problem exists in some UK-based Asian immigrant communities, where you hear of so-called "honour" killings and mutilations being carried out by families who have never really integrated.

The challenge for all of us is to welcome our new neighbours and to encourage them to have a stake in our society. A failure to do so will lead to ghetto-isation, seperatism and the kind of problems seen in the UK.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
I think the british working class are standing up, they are sure; badly spoken and sound rough but they are a reaction against the media class.
While I don't share your apparent admiration for the EDL, I do agree with you about who they represent.

Aspherical123

YouTube - Adhan East London Mosque - LMC Asr July, 2009

SPECTATOR

Nick Cohen

Sunday, 5th December 2010

Imagine that the British National Party controls a church and community centre in the East End of London. Imagine that it receives respectful visits from politicians, and grants from local and national government. Imagine that Prince Charles extends his already unhinged beliefs in pseudo-science and homeopathic quackery to include neo-fascist race theory, and signals his approval of the BNP by visiting the church. Imagine that Ken Livingstone and Boris Johnson follow him. Imagine that the Lord Chief Justice chooses a BNP church of all places to demand restrictions on the rights off immigrants. Imagine finally that the liberal media stay silent because the BNP has convinced them that it was the authentic voice an ethnic group called the “whites,” and anyone who criticised its political programme was guilty of the irrational hatred of "whiteophobic" racism.

Substitute Jamaat-i-Islami for the BNP and you have a precise description of the official indulgence of Islamism at the East London Mosque. The idiot prince and the alternately sinister and cynical Livingstone and Johnson can't stay away. In 2008, the then Lord Chief Justice Lord Phillips had the extraordinary bad taste to announce that he favoured applying Sharia law to British citizens at the Jamaat dominated mosque, and ignored all the grim evidence that it is “discriminatory against women and children in particular”.

I go too far? Perhaps I do. I need to row back and admit that my comparison is unfair to the BNP. In Bangladesh, the local leaders of Jamaat face allegations of complicity in the mass rapes and mass murders inflicted by the Pakistan army during the War of Independence of 1971. (I probably need to tell younger readers, that the crimes were so vicious they shocked a late 20th century, which thought it had seen it all. George Harrison, the Bob Geldof of his day, organised the Bangladesh concert to help the millions of victims.)

Say what you will about the BNP, prosecutors have never accused its members of involvement in the mass murder and mass rape of British citizens. Not that they would hold back if they had the chance, I am sure.

As my old friend and comrade Shiraz Maher wrote in the Wall Street Journal about a visit by the US ambassador, Louis Susman to the mosque:

"By any measure the East London mosque is a troubling institution. Last year, for example, it hosted an event titled 'The End of Time: A New Beginning,' where pamphlets were distributed showing Manhattan crumbling under a Hadean apocalypse of meteors, which shattered the Statute of Liberty asunder and set the city ablaze. One of the invited speakers, Khalid Yasin, described the beliefs of Christians and Jews as "filth." Most worryingly, the event also featured a live video question-and-answer session with Anwar Al Awlaki, the U.S.-born preacher aligned with al Qaeda."

Don Herron

Islamophobic thread should be shut down. Pure hatred on this thread.

Aspherical123

Boy M5

Tommy Robinson was interviewed on BBC Radio 5 this morning at about 6.20. He said he was the son of immigrants - Irish immigrants. BTW his interviewer was Shelagh Fogarty - the daughter of Irish immigrants.

PAD1OH

An organisation of working class white males with thousands of members is bound of have some members with links, they does not make the EDL Nazi.

Keep trying.

YouTube - English Defence League response to the lies of the UAF and some elements of the press.

Dont expect the BBC to report this one.

you've got that the wrong way around. an organisation set up by racists and islamaophobes has a following of disenfranchised and impresionable (mostly) young men.

Aspherical123

you've got that the wrong way around. an organisation set up by racists and islamaophobes has a following of disenfranchised and impresionable (mostly) young men.

If they are racist why are there black and gay divisions.

Sharia is offensive to many people and not wanted.

Last edited:

PAD1OH

If they are racist why are there black and gay divisions.

Sharia is offensive to many people and not wanted.

because they are a fragmented organisation, which what supported its quick rise.

it is a mix of football hooligans, racists, criminals and angry disenfranchised young men from deprived areas of the UK (which I have lots of sympathy for and solidarity with)

Aspherical123

because they are a fragmented organisation, which what supported its quick rise.

it is a mix of football hooligans, racists, criminals and angry disenfranchised young men from deprived areas of the UK (which I have lots of sympathy for and solidarity with)
So its mainly White working class males, shock horror.

SeanMac

If you live in a country you should respect the laws,traditions, and institutions of that state and people.Burning poppies,offensive placards about the armed forces,churches,monarchy,parliment is not acceptable.If i went to the middle east and burned islamic symbolms,how would it be received?Mention was made in posts about the Irish in the UK.Supporting terrorist organisations opposed to the British prescence in Northern Ireland was/is not on.There was in the 1970s and 1980s members of the Irish community in Britain who did their compatriots no favours with their overt/covert support for the IRA/INLA.iIf you have a problem living in a country,leave it and go home or somewhere else.The UK has being very good to most Irish emigrants,giving them and their families oppurtunities they would not have had here.Britain is not obsessed with class like we like to think.Yes it does have a monarchy and the remnants of an aristocracey,but they wield no power.I would say if you compare the background of a class studying law or medicine in the UK and Ireland,the class in the UK would be more representitive of a cross section of society,ie working class,middle class,upper middle class.

PAD1OH

If you live in a country you should respect the laws,traditions, and institutions of that state and people.Burning poppies,offensive placards about the armed forces,churches,monarchy,parliment is not acceptable.If i went to the middle east and burned islamic symbolms,how would it be received?Mention was made in posts about the Irish in the UK.Supporting terrorist organisations opposed to the British prescence in Northern Ireland was/is not on.There was in the 1970s and 1980s members of the Irish community in Britain who did their compatriots no favours with their overt/covert support for the IRA/INLA.iIf you have a problem living in a country,leave it and go home or somewhere else.The UK has being very good to most Irish emigrants,giving them and their families oppurtunities they would not have had here.Britain is not obsessed with class like we like to think.Yes it does have a monarchy and the remnants of an aristocracey,but they wield no power.I would say if you compare the background of a class studying law or medicine in the UK and Ireland,the class in the UK would be more representitive of a cross section of society,ie working class,middle class,upper middle class.
yes burning poppies and protesting at wooten basset is stupid . this is a small bunch of lads that are probably a mirror in outlook to lots of EDL supporters.

to suggest this somehow reflects the majority muslim view is plainly wrong.

in the same way, it was stupid and wrong for some british lads to take ************************ out on us in the 80's for the actions of a minority of RA heads.

The UK IS obsessed with class and class is still divisive and is a major factor (one of many) in driving young men to join groups like they EDL.

Many of these young men are confused and angry. They need a purpose and a target for that anger and this isn't satisfied on the terraces. Their confusion and anger is being manipulated by a smaller organisation of racist thugs.

Aspherical123

yes burning poppies and protesting at wooten basset is stupid . this is a small bunch of lads that are probably a mirror in outlook to lots of EDL supporters.

to suggest this somehow reflects the majority muslim view is plainly wrong.

in the same way, it was stupid and wrong for some british lads to take ************************ out on us in the 80's for the actions of a minority of RA heads.

The UK IS obsessed with class and class is still divisive and is a major factor (one of many) in driving young men to join groups like they EDL.

Many of these young men are confused and angry. They need a purpose and a target for that anger and this isn't satisfied on the terraces. Their confusion and anger is being manipulated by a smaller organisation of racist thugs.

I dont think the UK is obsessed with class any more. John Reid of poor Irish Catholic immigrant stock was the home secretary.

If youve got the ability you can get on in the UK.

How many non Irish are in Irish public sector jobs ? Virtually zero.

As for Muslims, theyre are huge problems in cities in the UK with Islam, as Robinson said the EDL are a symptom of radical Islam not the cause.

PAD1OH

I dont think the UK is obsessed with class any more. John Reid of poor Irish Catholic immigrant stock was the home secretary.

If youve got the ability you can get on in the UK.
this isn't true and both the right and left in the UK agree that social mobility is a major problem.

Shifting the unequal state: From public apathy to personal capability

Riven by class and no social mobility - Britain in 2007 | UK news | The Guardian

As for Muslims, theyre are huge problems in cities in the UK with Islam, as Robinson said the EDL are a symptom of radical Islam not the cause.
The issue with EDL is that they are not very good at defining what this problem is.

they shout about sharia law in the UK but as that BBC video posted above they don't really know what that means.

they shout about violent threat by radical islam but where are the facts?

From radical islam we've had the 7/7 atrocity, glasgow airport attack and the failed exeter bomb

from the Irish we've had

1939 January - 1940 February- A sustained campaign of bombing in London, Birmingham and other parts of the country, known as the S-Plan, organized by the IRA

1970s
1971 12 January: Two bombs explode at the house of government minister Robert Carr. This attack was one of 25 carried out by the Angry Brigade between August 1970 and August 1971. The Bomb Squad was established at Scotland Yard in January 1971 to target the group, and they were apprehended in August of that year.[1][2]
1971 31 October: A bomb explodes in the Post Office Tower in London causing extensive damage but no injuries. The "Kilburn Battalion" of the IRA claimed responsibility for the explosion.[3]
1972 22 February: The Official Irish Republican Army kills seven civilians in the Aldershot bombing.
1973 10 September: The Provisional IRA set off bombs at London's King's Cross Station and Euston Station injuring 21 people.[5]
1974 4 February: Eight Soldiers and 4 civilians are killed by the Provisional IRA in the M62 Coach Bombing.
1974 17 June: The Provisional IRA plant a bomb which explodes at the Houses of Parliament, causing extensive damage and injuring 11 people.[6]
1974 5 October: Guildford pub bombing by the Provisional IRA leaves 4 off duty soldiers and a civilian dead and 44 injured.
1974 22 October: A bomb planted by the Provisional IRA explodes in London injuring 3 people.[7]
1974 21 November: The Birmingham pub bombings, 21 killed and 182 injured.
1974 18 December: Bomb planted by IRA in the run up to Christmas in one of Bristol's most popular shopping districts explodes injuring 17 people.[8]
1978 December 17: Another bomb planted by the IRA aimed at the Christmas shoppers in Bristol takes out the department store Maggs injuring seven people.[9]
1979 30 March: Airey Neave killed when a car bomb exploded under his car as he drove out of the Palace of Westminster car park. The Irish National Liberation Army (INLA) claimed responsibility for the killing.

1980s

1982 20 July: The Hyde Park and Regents Park bombings in London by the IRA kill eleven members of the Household Cavalry and the Royal Green Jackets.
1983 17 December: Harrods was bombed by the IRA. Six are killed (including three police officers) and 90 wounded during Christmas shopping at the West London department store. (See 17 December 1983 Harrods bombing)
1984 12 October: Brighton hotel bombing, 5 killed and several injured in an attempt by the IRA to kill Margaret Thatcher.
1989 22 September: Deal barracks bombing: Eleven Royal Marines bandsmen are killed and 22 injured when base in Deal, Kent, is bombed by the IRA.
[edit]1990s
1990 16 May: Wembley IRA detonate a bomb underneath a minibus killing Sgt Charles Chapman (The Queen's Regiment) and injuring another soldier.
1990 1 June: Lichfield City railway station 1 soldier is killed and 2 are injured in a shooting by the Provisional Irish Republican Army
1990 20 July: The IRA detonate a bomb at the London Stock Exchange causing damage to the building. Nobody was injured in the blast.[11]
1990 30 July: Ian Gow MP killed by a car bomb planted by the IRA while at his home in Sussex.
1991 7 February: The IRA launched three mortar shells at the rear garden of 10 Downing Street.
1991 18 February: A bomb explodes at Victoria Station. One man is killed and 38 people injured.
1992 28 February 1992: A bomb explodes at London Bridge station injuring 29 people.
1992 10 April: Baltic Exchange bombing: A large bomb explodes in St Mary Axe in the City of London.
1992 25 August: The IRA plant three fire bombs in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Bombs were placed in Shoplatch, The Charles Darwin Centre and Shrewsbury Castle.
1992 12 October: A device explodes in the gents' toilet of the Sussex Arms public house in Covent Garden killing one person and injuring four others.
1992 16 November: IRA plants a bomb at the Canary Wharf, but is spotted by security guards. The bomb is deactivated safely.
1992 3 December: The IRA exploded two bombs in central Manchester, injuring 65 people.[13]
1993 20 March: Warrington bomb attacks. The first attack, on a gasworks, created a huge fireball but no casualties, but the second attack on Bridge Street killed two children and injured many other people. The attacks were conducted by the IRA.
1993 24 April: IRA detonate a huge truck bomb in the City of London at Bishopsgate, It killed journalist Ed Henty, injured over 40 people, and causing approximately £1 billion worth of damage,[12] including the destruction of St Ethelburga's church, and serious damage to Liverpool St. Tube Station.
1996 9 February 1996: The IRA bombs the South Quay area of London, killing two people. (see 1996 Docklands bombing)
1996 15 June: The Manchester bombing when the IRA detonated a 1500 kg bomb which heavily damaged the Arndale shopping centre and injured 206 people.
1996 15 February: A 5 lb bomb placed in a telephone box is disarmed by Police on the Charing Cross Road.
1996 18 February: An improvised high explosive device detonates prematurely on a bus travelling along Aldwych in central London, killing Edward O'Brien, the IRA operative transporting the device and injuring eight others.
1997 March: The IRA exploded two bombs in relay boxes near Wilmslow railway station, thereby causing great disruption to rail and road services, in Wilmslow and the surrounding area.
2000-present
2000 1 June: Real IRA bomb explodes on Hammersmith Bridge, London
2000 20 September: Real IRA fired a RPG at the MI6 HQ in London SIS Building
2001 4 March: The Real IRA detonate a car bomb outside the BBC's main news centre in London. One London Underground worker suffered deep cuts to his eye from flying glass and some damage was caused to the front of the building.[14] (See 4 March 2001 BBC bombing)
2001 16 April: Hendon post office bombed by the Real IRA.
2001 6 May: The Real IRA detonate a bomb in a London postal sorting office. One person was injured.[15]
2001 3 August: A Real IRA Bomb in Britain explodes in Ealing, West London, injuring seven people.[16] (See 3 August 2001 Ealing bombing)
2001 4 November: Real IRA car bomb explodes in Birmingham[17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies