• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

EDL on Newsnight

netron

English Defence League- all in balaclavas just on newsnight now.

Something is up.

Sounds like a false flag to be honest - they invited a BBC reporter to their "hidden" warehouse.

To be honest, nobody on the right trusts the BBC. So we're to expect that a "far right" group would actually invite the BBC to their balaclava clad show?

I still don't know what to make of them. I'm sure there is far right manipulation involved but there's more to it than that. A lot of those in Luton are not racist, are merely yobs, others are a bit more evolved, but some will obviously be racists. If they're not far right they'll soon be co-opted by the far right for their own ends. I'm not sure what is going on with them but I do know that a load of middle class whiny 'anti-nazi league' students shouting at them will only increase the chances that many of them will indeed embrace, or be embraced by, the far right.

Panopticon

Why would anyone want to create a "false flag" far-right organisation in the current circumstances? It doesn't serve any public interest and it could easily get out of control.

No, it isn't 'false flag' anything, they are easily identifiable people. They come from where I'm from, and the far right has never ever had a foothold there, outside of a tiny number of skinheads who hung around one particular pub. That's why I'm not immediately buying this AFA/ANL squawking about them being far right or racist. I would suspect that there are elements of the more savvy far right that are quite happy to let them run as they are and take advantage if the opportunity presents itself though. The danger is that these idiot studenty types, in labelling their anti-Islamist message as 'racist', will push some of the yob moron types towards the far right, the implication being that opposition to extremist Islam is solely their preserve. Generally all they do on these demonstrations is run around a lot shouting football chants and generally making themselves look like knobs. How much more they become might well be down to the reaction towards them much more than anything they do themselves...