• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Education Cuts - Did Gogarty threaten that Greens will walk?

bagel

I wasn't paying attention to TV3 News at 5.30 today when Gogarty was being interviewed by, i think, Ursula.
I thought I heard GoGo say "Ursula, read my lips, if the education cuts........, we will walk".
I believe he was stating that if the proposed education cuts are unacceptable to the Greens, then they'll withdraw from Government.
I've checked the TV3 website and googled left, right & centre but theres no mention of his ultimatum anywhere.
Did he speak out of turn, again?
I'm 99.99....% certain i heard what i've stated.
Please confirm i'm not imagining it.

jayblue

Nope it was not Paul Gogarty TD speaking, but the Paul Gogarty who is looking for the Green Party nomination to run for Dublin Mayor next year, even though they have the same name, they are not the same person

slippy wicket

Nope it was not Paul Gogarty TD speaking, but the Paul Gogarty who is looking for the Green Party nomination to run for Dublin Mayor next year, even though they have the same name, they are not the same person
Seriously.:confused:

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
They're not one in the same person right at the moment but they are some times.

spidermom

He was on the radio today...(newstalk maybe at lunchtime??) said it would be a walking matter alright for Him..!!...but only if the registration fee was above 2,000.

S

SeamusNapoleon

It's not fair on Paul.

Ursula is a wily reporter. She needs her soundbite, and she knows the best person to give her one is Paul. All she has to do is ask about the Greens walking and Paul will walk right into the trap.

He's like some inebriated bull wearing red-tinted sunglasses.

Machdaddy

well education is gonna be hammered so thats nonsensical.if they are going to walk they should just walk instead of getting a low profile mouthpiece to issue veiled threats to ffkrs

Skrynesaver

He seemed to say the same thing on radio this morning.

Limit on registration fee increase to 2K and no cutback in teacher numbers as it would be a change from the programme for government which would have to be ratified by the party.

Good option for an excuse to walk, as it touches base with the middle class greens and the college voters who may consider voting Green again

Last edited:

Macy

He was on the radio today...(newstalk maybe at lunchtime??) said it would be a walking matter alright for Him..!!...but only if the registration fee was above 2,000.
It was on Kiberd on Newstalk - gave the impression it was a walking issue, but when pushed he would vote with his party no matter what. Climbed down within 2 questions.

SinnShane

I wasn't paying attention to TV3 News at 5.30 today when Gogarty was being interviewed by, i think, Ursula.
I thought I heard GoGo say "Ursula, read my lips, if the education cuts........, we will walk".
I believe he was stating that if the proposed education cuts are unacceptable to the Greens, then they'll withdraw from Government.
I've checked the TV3 website and googled left, right & centre but theres no mention of his ultimatum anywhere.
Did he speak out of turn, again?
I'm 99.99....% certain i heard what i've stated.
Please confirm i'm not imagining it.
Didn't see it but it has all the hallmarks of a pre-budget choreography.
FF mention €3,000, Greenies say no-can-do, government pushes it through at between €2-2,500, Greenies claim victory. No harm done.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Gogarty repeated the incredible stupid thing he said at the time of the renewed programme of government vote

Prospect of college fees set to cause tension in Government - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 01, 2010

Green Party education spokesman Paul Gogarty said: “Our education expenditure as a whole has to be reduced but the renewed programme for government protected certain key areas.

“The membership voted for that document, in the face of concerns about the National Asset Management Agency, on the basis of educational commitments.

now I don't know all the intricacies of NAMA but neither does he and it seems he didn't bother trying but just looked at the education promises instead.

but even I know you vote for NAMA on the basis of NAMA.

I mean how many compromises can you hang off one sector?

Popular Threads

Most Replies