Eerie absence of public outrage this year on record numbers of patients on trolleys this year.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
RTÉ are currently reporting that the numbers of patients on trolleys are at record levels at the moment, according to the INMO.

Last year and the year before similar news led to hysterical headlines, calls for heads on platters and general scratching, hair pulling and flying spittle.

No sign of any such strife this year.

Record 612 patients on trolleys, says INMO
Health crisis as 612 patients now on trolleys nationwide, 'exceptional' increase in GP visits - Independent.ie
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/record-number-of-patients-on-hospital-trolleys-at-612-1.2924298
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/a-shocking-record-number-of-people-are-on-hospital-trolleys-today-770835.html

Could anyone guess what the reason behind this seeming acquiescence to a scandal that had everyone up in arms this time last year?

My own theory points to the disfunctional influence in the media of a party that was in opposition last year and is now the semi-detached arm of government this time round.

They appear particularly good at whipping up frenzies, and equally excellent at refraining from doing so when it suits.

Would anyone like to comment?

Last edited:

gatsbygirl20

RTÉ are currently reporting that the numbers of patients on trolleys are at record levels at the moment, according to the INMO.

Last year and the year before similar news led to hysterical headlines, calls for heads on platters and general scratching, hair pulling and flying spittle.

Health crisis as 612 patients now on trolleys nationwide, 'exceptional' increase in GP visits - Independent.ie
Record number of patients on hospital trolleys at 612

Could anyone guess what the reason behind this seeming acquiescence to a scandal that had everyone up in arms this time last year?

My own theory points to the disfunctional influence in the media of a party that was in opposition last year and is now the semi-detached arm of government this time round.

They appear particularly good at whipping up frenzies, and equally excellent at refraining from doing so when it suits.

It could indeed be as you say. (But I thought it was Labour who were supposed to have undue influence in the media---not FF.
Although, come to think of it FF used to get blamed for the same things Labour ended up getting blamed for---having their place-men in RTE....sucking up to the PS, etc)

I think the reason for the lack of hysteria might be more worrying in a way.

It's total cynicism...., lowering of expectation....disaster-fatique.

Nothing surprises us any more. We've had it with anger. We're all angered out. If they started doing a heart transplant in the car park of the Mater, it might catch our attention for a while---but then we'd soon be back to Trump's tweets, IS attacks, Brexit fears...

Maybe we have started to view the HSE like the weather or a natural disaster. You just look on appalled...glad you're not caught up in it...nothing anyone can do, really.

Or perhaps people who have dealt with the system know that it is not all bad. I had a lot of dealings with hospitals this year on behalf of a loved one, and with the exception of the 19 hours on a trolley in A&E, the quality of care in a public ward and ICU from nurses and consultants was absolutely fantastic, of the highest professional standard, plus kindness and compassion beyond the call of duty from all staff.

I will never forget it.

A "third world service" it was not.

LadyLou

Politicians on the make always make a big fuss about every little thing that will

make headlines for them. Once you are in the system it is great. I attend a clinic in

our local hospital. You take a ticket and wait your turn and you get first class treatment.

bonkers

Politicians on the make always make a big fuss about every little thing that will

make headlines for them. Once you are in the system it is great. I attend a clinic in

our local hospital. You take a ticket and wait your turn and you get first class treatment.
It's hardly a little thing if you are seriously ill and stuck on a trolley for days.
I agree though that if you finally get into into the system it is a wonderful service. I think the out patient appointment system needs a total overhaul too. More use could be made of local GPs and medical centres for the routine work. This could free up a lot of nurses, doctors and especially consultants.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/a-shocking-record-number-of-people-are-on-hospital-trolleys-today-770835.html

possbily but was it not also the heated pre-election situation ( never mind any particular party influence on the media) while at the moment they are holding fire to see what changes (despite the gov being nearly the same as the previous term)

btw
[h=1]Record 612 patients on trolleys 'truly shocking' - INMO http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0103/842403-trolley/[/h]

Last edited:

Mercurial

A 'shocking' record number of people are on hospital trolleys today | Irish Examiner

That could be it, or part of it. It could also be because people have short attention spans and this year was full of all sorts of crises and controversies. There's a fine line between being outraged over government incompetence and being resigned to it.

Myers Mimnagh

This is stuff supplied by Dorans crowd, who have a vested interest.

I would pay no heed to it unless they also supply the numbers rostered on the particular timescale and how many were 'checked in'

Doran is across this 7/24/364.

Guy has a vested interest.

Spanner Island

That could be it, or part of it. It could also be because people have short attention spans and this year was full of all sorts of crises and controversies. There's a fine line between being outraged over government incompetence and being resigned to it.
Sadly this is true... and endless outrage is tiring and largely pointless when it comes to the health service.

The same auld excuses will be trotted out time and again... including an increase in flu at this time of year... a perennial 'excuse' that never fails to be used.

Accidental sock

I would pay no heed to it unless they also supply the numbers rostered on the particular timescale and how many were 'checked in'

You a 'Merkin? .....over here it's 24/7/364

amsterdemmetje

My wifes Father was in hospital for about a week and released on Sunday of course that was in Holland, we don't do Sundays here.

White Horse

People are beginning to wake up to this annual story being a Trojan horse for higher public sector pay.

D

Deleted member 42179

15 hours of hell in A&E just to get an xray over xmas.

Ridiculous.

My dog gets better and far more prompt service from the local vet.

Nurses were v.kind when finally seen, but then so is my vet

Last edited by a moderator:

Congalltee

Outrage v Abscence of outrage
RTE news today about Arlene Foster's days being numbered (because her party colleagues incompetence will lead to a loss of €20m per year with no discernible benefit)
V
RTE news today about start of governments tax rebate/indirect state aid to developers (which will cost €50m per year and increase property prices by 10%).

ger12

It's FF's doing?

I don't think so. The media likes the current minister, maybe that's why although I do see it regularly reported.

The currrent crisis is being reported. There's some fatigue both here and in the real world.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

the (Trolly) numbers are agreed by the HSE afaik

Last edited:

ger12

People are beginning to wake up to this annual story being a Trojan horse for higher public sector pay.
Why don't you get yourself down to the local A/E and dust off the cobwebs.

bonkers

Try getting a Consultant here on a Sunday and see how it works out try getting Social Services on a Sunday see how that works out .
My consultants came around every Sunday when I was in hospital. All three of them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies