Egyptian rapist has sentence cut because he's a foreign national

Wascurito

An Egyptian man who raped a woman in Dublin city centre in February 2014 has had his sentence reduced because he's a foreigner. Mohamed Okda was sentenced to 11 years in prison but the last year has been suspended "because of his foreign nationality and the fact that this would make prison harder for him."

I thought that discrimination was illegal in this country on the basis of nationality. Discrimination in favour of someone on such a criterion is effectively discrimination against anyone who doesn't fulfil that criterion.

RTÉ News: Man jailed for raping woman who was on night out in Dublin

Dame_Enda

This is the latest in a long line of cases where a judge has cited a convicts' foreign nationality as mitigation for a sentence. This is discriminatory and it again raises my concerns that multiculturalism is leading to parallel justice systems that treat people better/worse based on ethnicity.

Why should we care if he finds it "hard"? It's a lot easier than an Egyptian prison.

willow68

Outrageous..isn't there a spot free in an Egyptian jailhouse where some Irish lad recently got released from? Swapsies?

ger12

"He imposed a sentence of 11 years, but suspended the last year of the sentence because of his foreign nationality and the fact that this would make prison harder for him."

He got 10 years.

razorblade

An Egyptian man who raped a woman in Dublin city centre in February 2014 has had his sentence reduced because he's a foreigner. Mohamed Okda was sentenced to 11 years in prison but the last year has been suspended "because of his foreign nationality and the fact that this would make prison harder for him."

I thought that discrimination was illegal in this country on the basis of nationality. Discrimination in favour of someone on such a criterion is effectively discrimination against anyone who doesn't fulfil that criterion.

Absolutely disgraceful ruling you do the crime you should do the same time as everyone else regardless of nationality.

Dame_Enda

But does anyone seriously expect he will serve 10 years given 33% remission on many sentences?

Wascurito

This is the latest in a long line of cases where a judge has cited a convicts' foreign nationality as mitigation for a sentence. This is discriminatory and it again raises my concerns that multiculturalism is leading to parallel justice systems that treat people better/worse based on ethnicity.

Why should we care if he finds it "hard"? It's a lot easier than an Egyptian prison.
I'm aware of one instance in which a foreign national caused the death of a cyclist and didn't remain at the scene. He was given the option of returning to his own country in lieu of a prison sentence. This is the first instance I've come across in which a sentence was cut but maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Ruff says Flaherty

An actual quote from the judge

He imposed a sentence of 11 years, but suspended the last year of the sentence because of his foreign nationality and the fact that this would make prison harder for him.

Outrageous. I am sure after 10 years, he will be well acclimatized to prison. Well, more like 2-4 years.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Bizarre. Seems crazy.

On a technical point, was his sentence actually cut?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Long line of cases, where?

Fr Peter McWhinger

Remission

59. (1) A prisoner who has been sentenced to -

(a) a term of imprisonment exceeding one month, or

(b) terms of imprisonment to be served consecutively the aggregate of which exceeds one month,

shall be eligible, by good conduct, to earn a remission of sentence not exceeding one quarter of such term or aggregate.

(2) The Minister may grant such greater remission of sentence in excess of one quarter, but not exceeding one third thereof where a prisoner has shown further good conduct by engaging in authorised structured activity and the Minister is satisfied that, as a result, the prisoner is less likely to re-offend and will be better able to reintegrate into the community.

(3) This Rule shall not apply to a prisoner who is serving a term of imprisonment ordered under section 18 of the Enforcement of Court Orders Act 1926 (No.18 of 1926), a prisoner sentenced to life imprisonment or to a prisoner committed to prison for contempt of court.

(4) Nothing in this Rule shall result in a reduction in the period of remission of a sentence an individual prisoner has been granted prior to the entry into force of these Rules.

S.I. No. 252/2007 - Prison Rules, 2007

blokesbloke

I expect a more lenient sentence if I ever break into Sean Gallagher's house so...

and I expect a campaign on P.ie...

Free the Seanie Loving Wan!

Fr Peter McWhinger

A Life Tariff can be imposed for a Rape Conviction. Life Sentences are not eligible for Remission, but are subject to a Ministers Discretion of early release.

flavirostris

This judge Moriarty has set a dangerous precedent here. Foreign rapists can expect more leniency in future?

tsarbomb

I wonder if this is due to campaigning from Egyptian politicians and the media there? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Grin and don't bear it.

Not sure about the procedure but a judge call be recalled and asked to explain his decision and a new sentence imposed if necessary. It happened to a rapist in Dublin a couple of years ago.
There seems to be a strong case for it here.
Will cause a conflict of causes for the extreme feminists if he happens to be Muslim.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies