• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Eight charged over Shell protest

NewsBot

Eight people who were arrested following yesterday's protest at the Shell compound in Glengad, Co Mayo were last night charged and released.

More from RTE News.

neiphin

dresden8

It is about time that the authorities took off the kid gloves and started dealing with these anti-social criminals. This is criminal behaviour by a crowd of cranks and professional agitators. They will have to be dealt with severely and made to realise once and for all this project is going ahead.

Shell to Sea protest: Lorry stuck at crossroads after intense stand-off - National News - Independent.ie
Are you implying that was sabotage instead of incompetence?

Scitlipo

The sooner these people realize that this Mayo is part of this country and not some independent state the better.
Despite the miniscule royalties the taxpayer will get from the oil, the spinoff in employment and all other associated activity is better than nothing.
I wonder, what, in their past incarnations, these agitators ever did to improve their locality and country? Such a bunch of bitter relicts I'v never come across, helped by their self styled environmentalists.

former wesleyan

This will certainly put a smile on the protestors face! A shell lorry that is transporting equipment to the refinery is currently blocking the glenamoy crossroads. It's stuck because the road is too narrow.

Shell lorry stuck at Co Mayo crossroads · TheJournal.ie
Shell are the client. It's doubtful if they had anything to do with the transporting of a boring machine, apart from looking at it as a date on a chart.

Fullforward

The sooner these people realize that this Mayo is part of this country and not some independent state the better.
Despite the miniscule royalties the taxpayer will get from the oil, the spinoff in employment and all other associated activity is better than nothing.
I wonder, what, in their past incarnations, these agitators ever did to improve their locality and country? Such a bunch of bitter relicts I'v never come across, helped by their self styled environmentalists.
That would be the "Security" work for the neo-nazis who seem to enjoy attacking people that you are talking about, is it?

Fullforward

Shell are the client. It's doubtful if they had anything to do with the transporting of a boring machine, apart from looking at it as a date on a chart.
And when they have a major accident there I'm sure sHELL will use similiar choice words to worm their way out of it.

Fullforward

It is about time that the authorities took off the kid gloves and started dealing with these anti-social criminals. This is criminal behaviour by a crowd of cranks and professional agitators. They will have to be dealt with severely and made to realise once and for all this project is going ahead.

Shell to Sea protest: Lorry stuck at crossroads after intense stand-off - National News - Independent.ie

I assume you haven't seen the behaviour of some of the security people down there.

damus

If shell didn't need the boring equipment.....I very much doubt that the truck would be blocking that cross-roads.

Fullforward

If shell didn't need the boring equipment.....I very much doubt that the truck would be blocking that cross-roads.
Don't.......You are not supposed to join the dots for slow learners :lol:

former wesleyan

And when they have a major accident there I'm sure sHELL will use similiar choice words to worm their way out of it.
Why would you expect a major accident ? The pressures and temperatures there are insignificant in comparison to those found in any olefins plant around the world. And considering that's where styrene for plastics is made, there are a lot of them. Do you hear of many blowing up ?

former wesleyan

Daft. Who is the tunnel contractor ? Who is the heavy lift contractor ? Who has the Safety contract ? They have firstline responsibity . Fair enough, Shell as the client would have signed off on those contracts and OK'ed the delivery so the buck stops with them in that sense. What you saw today was incompetence by a transport company, that's all.

retep

Not a fan of Shell to Sea by any means but there is something disconcerting and disturbing about the fact that almost 10 years after the Gas discovery and with all the talk of the benefits that will supposedly accrue for the area, we have a situation where a massive oversize heavy load is being transported along totally inadequate rural roads built across bogs. This has tonight resulted in the unsurprising consequence that the transport has sunk into the soft margin at a junction near the village of Glenamoy meaning that a considerable chunk of north Mayo and a number of communities most affected by the pipeline are now inaccessible for anything bigger than a car, and will remain so for quiet a while until such time as Mayo County Council manage to temporarily widen the road.

It seriously begs the question why during all these years has the Shell investment in the county only resulted in the improvement of one section of Mayo road and then only motivated by the primary purpose of transporting peat from the terminal site?

damus

Daft. Who is the tunnel contractor ? Who is the heavy lift contractor ? Who has the Safety contract ? They have firstline responsibity . Fair enough, Shell as the client would have signed off on those contracts and OK'ed the delivery so the buck stops with them in that sense. What you saw today was incompetence by a transport company, that's all.
I agree....incompetence that could cost them by all accounts!

former wesleyan

I agree....incompetence that could cost them by all accounts!
Well it should. But the oversight of this contract by the last government was shocking. Pipe was welded and x-ray bombed without anyone in the government knowing about it.

FakeViking

Apparently they've retrieved their machine, but to the wrong site.

100 gardaí aid convoy to free Shell machine - The Irish Times - Sat, Aug 04, 2012

Regardless of the merits of this whole scheme, it's appalling to think the people "in charge" of this ongoing fiasco will be responsible for the safe operation of the whole system. Back some years ago, when they drew lines on a map without any regard to the interests of the local population, on the basis that they could experiment with an onshore (i.e. cheaper) method of making money from Burke's bribery, they laid the seeds of this lunacy.

If they had taken a more logical stance from day one, gas would now be flowing from the Mayo field, and the locals might have been happy with the results, but instead these eejits had to stick with their Powerpoint presntations.

williamQ62921

we are facing a situation where a massive oversize heavy load is being transported along totally inadequate rural roads built across bogs.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies