• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Eight on IRA Membership Charges After Clondalkin Raid

picador

Eight Dublin men have appeared before a sitting of the Special Criminal Court charged with membership of the IRA.

The men were all arrested on Friday afternoon after a search of a commercial premises in Clondalkin as part of an ongoing Garda investigation in to the activities of dissident republicans.
Eight in court on IRA membership charges - RTÉ News

It remains to be seen what the evidence is or which republican grouping was targetted. AFAIK all that's required to "prove" such charges is the word of a senior Garda officer - internment by another name.

drummed

As if SF can afford any more votes lost after the latest opinion poll:rolleyes:

(No voting in jail)

harryshounds

i reckon its a case of put em away even its only until their case is thrown out cos of no evidence. internment by remand. press making a big deal of this but really the cops arrested 8 men in a shop nothing else.

R

Ramps

It remains to be seen what the evidence is or which republican grouping was targetted. AFAIK all that's required to "prove" such charges is the word of a senior Garda officer - internment by another name.
Hardly.

drummed

i reckon its a case of put em away even its only until their case is thrown out cos of no evidence. internment by remand. press making a big deal of this but really the cops arrested 8 men in a shop nothing else.
Yeah, they were probably just in buying Easter eggs. The police are always going around arresting lads in groups of 8 just for the craic.

SideysGhost

Isn't it (deliberately?) dishonest reporting by RTE though?

The average punter has no idea that all the various dissident groups all lay claim to the name of Óglaigh na hÉireann and all claim to be the One True IRA, or that the official name for the Irish Defence Forces is also Óglaigh na hÉireann, or that the actual charge in the SCC is usually IIRC something like "membership of an unlawful organisation styling itself Óglaigh na hÉireann" i.e. membership of an organisation claiming to be the rightful army of the State.

The average punter sees IRA and just thinks IRA = Provos = SF, and will probably just assume SF are up to no good, whereas in reality these 8 are more likely to be one of the various dissident groups.

It's propaganda, and knowing RTE I'd say quite deliberate.

R

Ramps

Isn't it (deliberately?) dishonest reporting by RTE though?

The average punter has no idea that all the various dissident groups all lay claim to the name of Óglaigh na hÉireann and all claim to be the One True IRA, or that the official name for the Irish Defence Forces is also Óglaigh na hÉireann, or that the actual charge in the SCC is usually IIRC something like "membership of an unlawful organisation styling itself Óglaigh na hÉireann" i.e. membership of an organisation claiming to be the rightful army of the State.

The average punter sees IRA and just thinks IRA = Provos = SF, and will probably just assume SF are up to no good, whereas in reality these 8 are more likely to be one of the various dissident groups.

It's propaganda, and knowing RTE I'd say quite deliberate.
Yes, it's such a cunning plan to misinform readers that the second paragraph states:

The men were all arrested on Friday afternoon after a search of a commercial premises in Clondalkin as part of an ongoing Garda investigation in to the activities of dissident republicans. (My emphasis)

Dublin 4

Another 8 suspected dissenters from McGuinness & Adams.

The only place they could go is Jail but McGuinness & Adams are losing cred big time...

R

Ramps

Another 8 suspected dissenters from McGuinness & Adams.

The only place they could go is Jail but McGuinness & Adams are losing cred big time...
Losing cred with whom? Tbh, I don't see what this has to do with them (McG and Ad).

Dublin 4

PIRA Members are joining other groups & Nationalist Turnout is declining...

R

Ramps

PIRA Members are joining other groups & Nationalist Turnout is declining...
I'd say it's a fair bet that none of these 8 was in the PIRA...maybe 1 or 2 of the older ones.

When compared to the amount of PIRA members who haven't turned against McG and Ad in the last 20 years or so, the number of dissidents is very small; I don't think the credibility of McG or Ad has really suffered at all.

What do you mean by "Nationalist Turnout is declining"?

Dublin 4

Maybe 2 is 25% - time will tell...

Last 2 By-elections SF vote well down.

Nationalist Vote down by 32K from High Watermark of 1999 Euro - Unionist Turnout is no excuse...

"Catholics" were at higher % than '99 at last Census...

R

Ramps

Maybe 2 is 25% - time will tell...

Last 2 By-elections SF vote well down.

Nationalist Vote down by 32K from High Watermark of 1999 Euro - Unionist Turnout is no excuse...

"Catholics" were at higher % than '99 at last Census...
You think these arrests are evidence that a fair number nationalists/republicans are turning back to violence or have sympathy for those who use violence, and that this is a result of disillusionment with McG and Ad.'s decision to abandon the armed struggle? I just don't see it. I think that support for SF's strategy has been very solid for the last 20 years or so and that the party has achieved a very significant growth in support in that time, particularly in the Rep.

I think it's far more likely that Adams would step down because he is too closely associated with past violence (this could hamper SF's growth in the Rep.); I don't think this is likely either.

Popular Threads

Most Replies