Eircom E Mobile Fair Usage Policy

RightCentreLeft

I just logged on to emobile.ie as I am interested in their new mobile prepay plan as I heard it advertised on national radio. Its €10 per week for 'unlimited' calls and texts to any network. But I feel that the 'fair usage' limits are too low.
200 minutes per week and 200 texts per week. Maybe other posters will feel that I am being unreasonable? - but I just think 29 minutes per day and 29 messages per day is quite a low limit and it should really not advertised as 'unlimited'

eMobile Seven 10 & Seven 15 Prepay Weekly Topup Plans

ICallely

I seem to be the only person left in the world that has a problem with the usage of the word "unlimited" in the context of mobile phone advertising.

I know it is marketing, and thus not subject to any rules, but I find it thoroughly dishonest, and would suggest to me a company that uses it to describe a limited product, only has a passing acquaintance with integrity and honesty.

gijoe

I agree that the term 'unlimited' is being totally abused. A complaint to the ASA would probably be appropriate. That being said the 'fair usage' allowance equates to circa 900 minutes and 900 texts per month on a billpay package. Would you get that for circa €45 in a bill pay package?

dalywise

What kind of coverage does emobile have? If they're using the Eircom line network for transmisison, it may be as good as the best. Or is it?

RightCentreLeft

I agree that the term 'unlimited' is being totally abused. A complaint to the ASA would probably be appropriate. That being said the 'fair usage' allowance equates to circa 900 minutes and 900 texts per month on a billpay package. Would you get that for circa €45 in a bill pay package?
No Doubt Gijoe it is a great offer. I dont think it can be beaten. I just dont like the dishonest way in which it is being marketed.

take a look at this link: eMobile Bill Pay and Pre Pay Plans - Great Offers - Great Plans

They actually state 'All the calls and texts you need to any network'.
That is a blatant lie.

slx

e-mobile is using the exact same infrastructure as Meteor. Both brands are owned by eircom.

charley

I only use about €10 credit every 3 weeks so its of no advantage to me.

westcork

Vodafone for 20 euro per month give unlimited Vodafone to vodafone and 20 euro worth of calls to other networks.

This is probably the best deal as Vodafone has the best coverage nationally and has the most users on it Network, meaning higher chance of ringing an 087 number for free on this package

dalywise

What kind of coverage does 3 mobile have? I'm told it's the best for broadband coverage but hardly anybody I know has a 3 phone.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
Umm...what does this have to do with current affairs?

biteback

What kind of coverage does 3 mobile have? I'm told it's the best for broadband coverage but hardly anybody I know has a 3 phone.
A friend has a 3 Mobile and finds them fine, but she's based in Dublin. I got 3 Broadband six months ago in the country and was delighted after years of pestering Eircom to no avail. It was fine at first, but now its painfully slow in the evenings - as bad as dial up was at certain times. I'll probably be ending the contract when I can.

As for mobile packages the Vodafone one mentioned by westcork does sound good, but if your a texter rather than a caller then O2 have truly unlimited text messages to any network for €20 a month which I find great as someone who can send 100s of texts each week.

But as the OP said I do find eMobile's definition of the word "unlimited" rather untruthful. But as I understand it they are aiming towards the over 35's market, who maybe don't text or talk as much as the younger age group served by Meteor. Can't see eMobile lasting myself.

rob

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I just logged on to emobile.ie as I am interested in their new mobile prepay plan as I heard it advertised on national radio. Its €10 per week for 'unlimited' calls and texts to any network. But I feel that the 'fair usage' limits are too low.
200 minutes per week and 200 texts per week. Maybe other posters will feel that I am being unreasonable? - but I just think 29 minutes per day and 29 messages per day is quite a low limit and it should really not advertised as 'unlimited'

A half an hour on a mobile phone EVERYDAY? and a text message every half an hour (assuming your sleping eight hours a day). I can't understand how anyone would need to be in contact THAT much.

hmmm

The ASAI has dealt with many complaints about the use of the words 'unlimited'. You're wasting your time complaining because they have defined "unlimited" as potentially something with limits - industry self regulation at work :)

e.g.

"In relation to the use of ‘unlimited’, the Committee noted that in previous cases they had accepted that a plan could be described as ‘unlimited’ where a fair use policy existed provided that (a) the thresholds set by the advertisers were sufficiently robust to ensure that the vast majority of consumers would not be affected by the thresholds and (b) that information was provided to consumers in relation to the thresholds."

gijoe

I have a 3 phone and it is perfectly good for coverage and quality etc and is probably the best value option for light use, only drawback is that customer service is a pain, it is located in India. For broadband I use o2. There is a massive thread on boards.ie with complaints about 3 mobile broadband, I am perfectly happy with o2.

Baron von Biffo

Advertising anything as 'unlimited' that has any sort of restriction shouldn't be allowed because it's barefaced lying.

slippy wicket

e-mobile is using the exact same infrastructure as Meteor. Both brands are owned by eircom.
So once you get outside towns and cities your coverage will be shoite.
It couldnt be as bad as meteor, could it:(

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies