• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Eircom line rental could increase to €40 pm in rural + suburban areas. But FREE in Urban areas.

YesSireeeBob

Barnsleyfc

Line rental in rural areas could rise to €40 under new proposal - Ireland’s communications news service – Siliconrepublic.com

The idea is to allow eircom compete with upc in urban areas - ie where upc is mostly present.

This would be a subsidy to urban dwellers as upc would be forced to reduce it's prices as well to compete.

I don't think it will work out for eircom anyway as a lot of suburban (and some rural) users would move to usb stick broadband.
This might work for Eircom because they know that rural dwellers are generally more brand loyal to them and secondly the alternatives aren't as strong for rural dwellers.

Dan_Murphy

This might work for Eircom because they know that rural dwellers are generally more brand loyal to them and secondly the alternatives aren't as strong for rural dwellers.
Mostly this though. If UPC served my area I would jump at the chance to switch over.

mido

NBS from 3 - 40gb download - and run phone line using old eircom number from VPN operator- €22 a month totel for both

uk sky freeviw card - € 30 every 5 years gives all uk channels etc.

Lycamobile €10 a month gives 350 mins talk
+ unlimited data

showed eircom and meteor the door two years ago - most peoole in rural areas now uisng above solutions as opposed to disintegrating copper wires and new spectrum since analog switch off will finish them off

Last edited:

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
A welcome development. We should move more to varied prices. How much has it cost to put the mobile network in place and then we charge the same to people in cities and rural areas despite he additional costs of servicing the latter.

corporal punishment

We kicked eircom into touch two years ago, aint never going back.

mido

A welcome development. We should move more to varied prices. How much has it cost to put the mobile network in place and then we charge the same to people in cities and rural areas despite he additional costs of servicing the latter.
what this "we" business- are you eircom or vodafone in disguise ?

im axeled

NBS from 3 - 40gb download - and run phone line using old eircom number from VPN operator- €22 a a month

uk sky freeviw card - € 30 every 5 years gives all uk channels etc. cardshareing costing 7.50 stg per month gives all skys offerings

Lycamobile €10 a month gives 350 mins talk
+ unlimited data

showed eircom and meteor the door two years ago - most peoole in rural areas now uisng above solutions as opposed to disintegrating copper wires and new spectrum since analog switch off will finish them off

darkhorse

Good to see that the urban Eircom client is no longer being asked to subsidise the rural ones.
Hopefully electricity supply, bus services, etc will follow suit

im axeled

i can see a large mast from my yard, wireless broadband could be advailable to each and everyone from it, BUT according th eircom employees it made this advailable, then they would have to share the signal with other companys, stupidity of the highest order methinks.

myksav

Good to see that the urban Eircom client is no longer being asked to subsidise the rural ones.
Ahm, what the fuk is a bus service?

Hang about on that electricity supply, us rurals pay a surcharge just for being rural. It's in the Standing Charge. So the rural electricity users are subsidising ye townies.

Ah, forgot, darkhorse just wants a free ride in life, a scrounger, as it were.

amsterdemmetje

I just switched over to Vodafone no less than an hour ago same packet as my eircom but for €20 less a month.

southwestkerry

Line rental in rural areas could rise to €40 under new proposal - Ireland’s communications news service – Siliconrepublic.com

The idea is to allow eircom compete with upc in urban areas - ie where upc is mostly present.

This would be a subsidy to urban dwellers as upc would be forced to reduce it's prices as well to compete.

I don't think it will work out for eircom anyway as a lot of suburban (and some rural) users would move to usb stick broadband.
I have a eircom phone in the hall that I have not used in nearly a year... no BB here from eircom so i think I well scrap it. My BB [broadband] is with digiweb, slow crap monthly allowance but I am easy to please.

Rural

What bus services? What water and sewage from the council? What footpaths and street lights. Us folk in rural Ireland pay the same rates, household tax and other taxes!

Eircom will not do this, it would be a double barrel shot in the foot.

I am getting sick of the urban v rural argument anyway.

darkhorse

Ahm, what the fuk is a bus service?

Hang about on that electricity supply, us rurals pay a surcharge just for being rural. It's in the Standing Charge. So the rural electricity users are subsidising ye townies.

Ah, forgot, darkhorse just wants a free ride in life, a scrounger, as it were.
The urban dweller subsidises the rural dweller in all kinds of ways ranging from school busses, road building and maintenance, public bus and rail services, agricultural grants and subsidies, mobile phone services, etc, etc
Not looking for a free ride at all, but if you live on the top of a mountain you should expect to pay more for most services provided to or near your home

Rural

Your Luas, Dart and double decker bus, comes out of our payments too.

Hewson

The obvious solution to the problem is for all rural dwellers to move into the nearest city and go on the dole. Farmers, in particular.

Then, next time you pop into Tesco for two litres of milk from France and an Argentinian steak, you can mutter about how bloody expensive food has become.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies