Éirígí: Why do they get away with calling Ireland a "failed Irish statelet"?

ruserious

This post appeared on their Facebook page last night:

Here are three members of the KBC Bank eviction crew that put a family onto the street in Balbriggan yesterday morning. Our people have long experience of evictions. And we have long memories too.

In the 1840s the British state, at the behest of the landlords, evicted tens of thousands of families from their homes.

150 years later this Irish failed statelet will not be allowed to do the same at the behest of the banks or vultures.

Let all of Ireland see the faces of these two bullies who thought they could make a family homeless, just to satisfy the greed of a private bank.

And let others who might follow them know that the wrath of a risen people is a terrible thing.

Éirígí will stand with any individual or family facing economic eviction. Join us if you're ready to join the fight for housing justice.
As a proud Irish citizen, I am quite proud of our State. Ireland has punched above her weight in so many areas. For such a lack of natural resources, we have adapted magnificently to the global economy. We have, despite some obvious problems, have a generally excellent public health and education system. We have an excellent democracy, which even allows louts in Éirígí to run for the Dáil if they were so bothered.

I do not see how you could possibly refer to Ireland as having "failed". I have travelled to many countries even around Europe and am always struck by how lucky we are.

As as for the Statelet comment, I presume this is a reference to not recognising the Irish State which has repeatedly been recognised by the Irish people through our interactions with the State.

I think comments from Éirígí such as this should be challenged at every moment lest people start to believe them.

Analyzer

As a proud Irish citizen, I am quite proud of our State. Ireland has punched above her weight in so many areas.
Eirigi are incorrect to call it a statelet. In fact they are at the wrong end of the spectrum, when it comes to the ambitions of the state to have power over the individual.

It is a full throttle, largese loaded, extortionate, corrupt, power state.

However it sold it's sovereignty down the years for the right to leverage debt and ponzify the economy.

A rubber-stamp power state, backed by the big imperial racket in Brussels, and with declining sovereignty, as a result of gradual coalescence to the needs of that imperial racket.

Last edited:

Mitsui2

I think comments from Éirígí such as this should be challenged at every moment lest people start to believe them.
I think you underestimate the general public, ru. In order to believe such twaddle people would have to listen to it in the first place - and I see no evidence that anyone much is listening to them.

GDPR

Somalia is a failed State. Do you see Ireland as a Green Somalia?
No not at all. However it is a province or at best a pathetic vassal with the most self-controlled rigid media in probably the world. The up coming referendum will see if there is any self-respect left.

Bill

Because no one listens to them. To busy buying bread, seems everyone has decided to make bread and butter pudding(whatever that is) on Friday.

Cruimh

I think you underestimate the general public, ru. In order to believe such twaddle people would have to listen to it in the first place - and I see no evidence that anyone much is listening to them.
I'm assuming their logic is that what has resulted is a long way from the Proclamation of 1916?

Whether the ambitions and demands of the 1916 proclamation are reasonable and desirable for the 21st Century is a different matter.

Analyzer

I want to now how the Irish establishmnet get away with pretdending we are a sovereign independent democracy, when we take instructions from an unelected racket in Brussels, in complete contravention of the concept of consent of the governed- upon which the Common Lae, and the Irish Constitution is based.

Cruimh

I want to now how the Irish establishmnet get away with pretdending we are a sovereign independent democracy, when we take instructions from an unelected racket in Brussels, in complete contravention of the concept of consent of the governed- upon which the Common Lae, and the Irish Constitution is based.
Arguably the massive support at the referendum in May 1972 (82%) in effect legitimised the transfer of some authority/sovereignty?

ON THE ONE ROAD

The belief of the people who attempted to set up an independent irish state in the 19th and early 20th centuries was that intuitively there was a better way to do things than the british.

If a comparison can be made with the worst examples of british rule then surly the state has failed in its founding objective and calling it a failed state is fair comment no?

Just because things are not as bad as Somalia is not a reason to be content.

Just Jack

There are two failed statelets in Ireland tbf

Éirígí should be clearer in future.

ergo2

No not at all. However it is a province or at best a pathetic vassal with the most self-controlled rigid media in probably the world. The up coming referendum will see if there is any self-respect left.
Stick to the obscure theology and that gold bikini.:)

You are too young to have formed any reasonable views on current politics in either part of our country

ruserious

Arguably the massive support at the referendum in May 1972 (82%) in effect legitimised the transfer of some authority/sovereignty?
This. And the transfer is conditional. We could always follow the UK out the back door if the Irish people so chose. And that power alone, is sovereignty.

RasherHash

True, our media are truly a disgrace.

GDPR

Stick to the obscure theology and that gold bikini.:)

You are too young to have formed any reasonable views on current politics in either part of our country
Time waits for no one ergo not even me. The fact is though that you cannot deny that even compared to France, the UK mainland and Germany no mind Russia the media here has an incredibly constrictive view of acceptable opinion.

Fr. Hank Tree

This post appeared on their Facebook page last night:

As a proud Irish citizen, I am quite proud of our State. Ireland has punched above her weight in so many areas. For such a lack of natural resources, we have adapted magnificently to the global economy. We have, despite some obvious problems, have a generally excellent public health and education system. We have an excellent democracy, which even allows louts in Éirígí to run for the Dáil if they were so bothered.

I do not see how you could possibly refer to Ireland as having "failed". I have travelled to many countries even around Europe and am always struck by how lucky we are.

As as for the Statelet comment, I presume this is a reference to not recognising the Irish State which has repeatedly been recognised by the Irish people through our interactions with the State.

Hear hear.

RasherHash

This. And the transfer is conditional. We could always follow the UK out the back door if the Irish people so chose. And that power alone, is sovereignty.
Do you think it's right that, Leo (or any other political hack), should be allowed to set up a media advisory group funded by the tax payer to influence such referenda?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies